Jimmy Page To Form New Band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wdp33, Sep 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Well, we all know how dangerous that stuff can be. . .
    [​IMG]

2. pahrumpf

pahrumpf Well-Known Member

Brilliant.

3. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

This is a great point. They did Unledded and Clarksdale. "Zeppelin" played Live Aid and the Atlantic 40th. It's not like Plant has given up on that material, (as referenced by him doing tracks on his tours). He just doesn't want to be Led Zeppelin. That blimp has flown. Special occasions? Sure.

Unfortunately, Page/Plant/Jones and even Jason B. (or any combination) would be perceived as "Led Zeppelin" - whatever they wanted to call it. Again, I'll take all of Plant's solo albums, Jones' work with Them Crooked Vultures and the myriad of other collaborations he's done over Unledded and Clarksdale. No slight to those records, but - again - there doesn't seem to be much point to them other than keeping the Zeppelin flag "relevant". And, that flag will ALWAYS be relevant.

footlooseman likes this.
  4. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

The time has passed where I'd be excited about this.

5. Plant certainly found myriad things to do, as did JPJ at a lower level.

Anyway, even if he knew nothing he could do would measure up, it's odd that someone of his calibre would spend the past 30 years essentially puttering around and occasionally reorganizing his attic.

footlooseman likes this.
  6. Cyberhog9

Cyberhog9 Forum Resident

Whatever became of the XYZ sessions material? I for one loved The Firm.I'd like to see some new material from Jimmy also.

footlooseman likes this.
  7. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The tapes became radioactive, so their housed in a metal can- sitting in a vault.

footlooseman and Cyberhog9 like this.
  8. TheMaestro335

TheMaestro335 Forum Resident

Good luck on this! He has been threatening us with a new band for the last 3 years!

9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Me too. I mean hell, we've already the revival with Page & Plant, the Black Crowes gigs, the 2007 reunion concert,... and I enjoy every bit of that but, I'm done.

Jack likes this.
  10. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Agreed. I saw both of the firm tours at the Spectrum back in 85 and 86. While not Zeppelin they were quite good. One of those years he did his solo in a revolving laser pyramid. The new stadiums don't have the feel the Spectrum did in Philly.

11. zen

zen Senior Member

Well said.

12. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I think Yes recycled some of that XYZ material for the Keys to Ascension project ("Mind Drive").

13. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I think it would be great if he teamed up with JPJ , Chris Robinson, and whoever the drummer is on the Live At The Greek album.

14. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

The Parkbirds.
    The Snowbirds.

Fullbug likes this.
  15. zen

zen Senior Member

Actually, Chris Squire wrote most of the XYZ material. And in fact, Jimmy later stole some of it for the FIRM. Vintage Jimmy!! And we love him for it, don't we?

footlooseman likes this.
  16. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I don't blame him. There is no shame in the fact he is intelligent enough to know that he isn't a 25 year old rock star with tight clothes, a bulging crotch, and a mane of yellow hair.
    I respect the guy for being what he is now, doing extremely interesting music, and living in today.
    Mostly I like the fact that he doesn't pretend that his audience owes him anything, he seems to just do his music at his leisure and if it sells gazillions cool, if not cool.
    I admired the same thing in Levon Helm. The guy went on about his business after The Band doing his thing and not pretending that he could cling to the rock star thing forever.
    At the same time I admire guys like the Stones who keep in there plugging away at what they do best who do cling to the rock star image for dear life.

Everybody gets old. I am old. Getting old and keeping on keeping on go hand in hand, because once you realize you are old you also realize that ceasing to move will result in death.
    Bravo to all these guys. At least they are doing something other than sitting around bitching at people to turn the thermostat up.

You look at Robert Plant and what you see is the real Robert Plant. Not hair dye and plastic cheeks and chin, just a regular old dude doing his thing. Good on him.

Whatever Jimmy Page decides to do, good on him too.

Marek_R, notesfrom, Fullbug and 2 others like this.
  17. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

I wish he would do some acoustic stuff. Maybe with an orchestra? I've always loved the acoustic zep numbers, like bron-yr-aur, and songs like 'rain song' that work super well on acoustic.

Page in alternate tunings on an acoustic is a great thing!

"Walking into Clarksdale" is an awesome album, and I love it because it ISN'T Zeppelin.

I've gained a lot of respect for Plant refusing to be a dissapointing Led Zeppelin band.

I missed Zeppelin. I wish I didn't, but I was born 6 years after Bonham died. These are facts. Even if I/you could buy a concert ticket that says "Led Zeppelin" on it, you are just kidding yourself!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    krlpuretone likes this.
  18. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Gotta agree. There's some terrific Page playing on that album.

19. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

That's a fair point, although I do think it's easier for a frontman like Plant to do a solo album and find an acceptable replacement guitar player for Page than it is for Page to find an acceptable replacement frontman for Plant.

20. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

The Infirm. :)

21. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

And with it comes the comparisons........

22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I would be interested if Jay Buchanan was on vocals:

Steel Horse and SpinningInfinity like this.
  23. love4another

love4another Forum Resident

Nobody cares. Just release Japan live plz.

bluesky and steveharris like this.
  24. love4another

love4another Forum Resident

He owes all the artists he ripped off money and credit.

25. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.