Cambridge Audio Aero 2 stand-mount speakers??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by cat9, Sep 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am wondering what your experience is with these speakers?

Owned? Heard?

Impressions?

I am in the hunt for a smaller speaker for a small sunroom. These would be driven by a Yamaha CA-510 Integrated at 35 watts per. - Sony cd and Kenwood tuner attached.

Thanks - all feedback appreciated!

2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Depends what you call small. These are a reasonably large standmount speaker. Small to my mind is Tannoy DC4 territory or similar. Otherwise if you have the room then the Aeros might well tick the boxes, they've certainly enjoyed good reviews, but you'd need to hear them in situ I think.

3. cat9

Thank-you - yes, that is a valid point! I am not looking or need what I will term a micro speaker....really tiny or anything. I realize this Aero 2 isn't "small, small" but it is still a size that will be okay for the space.

Being a sunroom and having a lot of glass someone has suggested that an overly lively speaker may not be the best choice for the room. In fact the owner of a local Hi-Fi shop who sells and loves the Focal line of speakers made that suggestion. He thought the Aero 2 being a little less lively might be a better choice.

Does that make sense?

And yes having the option to listen to them in the space would be ideal - but for now that isn't possible. The room isn't built yet! But this speaker came along (gently used) and another audio buddy thought it might be a nice fit based on the reviews he had read - but he hasn't heard them live either.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  4. Deryl Johnson

Deryl Johnson Well-Known Member

I bought pair of Wharfdale 9.1's, an I'm really happy with them. For a small speaker, and at less thn $400, I think they're a bargain considering the clarity and surprising bass delivered by these relatively small speakers

bhazen likes this.
  5. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Yes, absolutely, and good point re: hearing them in the room! You might try and dig out the Hi Fi World review for these speakers, but here's a snapshot of the relevant page from the Cambridge Audio site.

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/speakers/aero-2

I was very impressed by their build instore (didn't hear them alas) and they're too big for my room (but then the Pioneer S71B has a big sound, however, I have neighbours downstairs!) but I applauded Cambridge trying this BMR technology out and for the price that they did. I'd be all over a pair if the reviews are anything to go by.

6. cat9

Thanks BR - it's kinda interesting that no-body seems to have heard these speakers!! I can hear them in this fellows home - which won't transfer exactly to what this new room will be like acoustically but at least I will be able to see the build quality and hear their signature sound - whatever that may be!!

....and I have read a number of reviews and you're right - they are very favourable!

Take care!!

7. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I just ordered a pair of these. The price on these has come way down to under $300 a pair.

8. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Are the Denton anniversary speakers that are 50% off ($499) still around? Seems like they'd work good in a lively room.

bhazen likes this.
  9. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

bhazen likes this.
  10. 2point1

2point1 Forum Resident

11. steviej

steviej Forum Resident

I tried these speakers last year, and really didn't enjoy them whatsoever. I found them to be very dull sounding.

12. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

The Aeros or the Dentons?

13. steviej

steviej Forum Resident

Sorry, the Aeros. I found them to be very muddy. I have an older Marantz receiver, so maybe it was just a bad pairing, but a friend of mine tried them as well with his newer system (sorry I don't remember the make), and he didn't care for the speaker either.

14. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

Got these today from Audio Advisor. There's a 4 inch scratch on the bottom of one speaker and a small dent in the middle of the scratch. I can send them back for a replacement but that could take more than 10 days. I'm not happy.

15. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

That sucks man! Do they look otherwise new and unused? How do they sound?

16. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

They look brand new and unused. I read a few reviews here calling them murky and dull. Just the opposite. I put on a few cds that always sounded sibilant to me and the Aeros magnified the sibilance ten fold.

17. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Wow that is strange. I was thinking of trying these speakers out too but the reviews seem mixed.

18. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I called Audio Advisor this morning. The are sending me out a pre paid return label regular mail. They said they have no way of sending me the label through email. That's crazy.So this whole return thing could take awhile. My last order with these guys.

19. fraq_78

fraq_78 Well-Known Member

Interested on more thoughts on how the Aero 2 sound.

20. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

So you don't like the sound I assume and wont be getting another pair?

21. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I liked how they sounded but I don't want to take a chance on getting another defective pair. A few years ago I had trouble with Cambridge Audio speakers being defective. I was sent a replacement pair and the replacement pair was also defective. I lost all confidence in CA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.