The Monkees (debut) Rhino Handmade Super Deluxe 3-CD set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fspadafora, Mar 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zen

zen Senior Member

The track list doesn't excite me.
    Besides, I am satisfied with the 2 CD (mono/stereo) set.

Paper Wizard and Keith V like this.
  2. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

I prefer the recent Friday Music CD mastering to the Deluxe CD mastering for Headquarters. Will be interesting to read reviews of the sound quality comparisons between the Super Deluxe and 2007 Deluxe for the debut.

pdenny, Tom in Houston and zen like this.
  3. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

$72.57 including tax and shipping.
    Product Subtotal $59.98
    Shipping (Standard Ground (7-10 business days)) $8.99
    Order Subtotal $68.97
    Tax $3.60
    Order Total $72.57

4. Mr Hankey

Mr Hankey If you eat fiber on Xmas Eve...

Yeah I bought it too....

Few thoughts:
    • They could have included some Arista remixes
    • I remember Andrew saying that they had a lot of backing tracks. I'd rather have a CD of backing tracks than Davy's album. Side 3 being 2 versions of Davy's album seems like a HUGE stretch. I won't be loading THAT on my ipod.
    • More TV versions. I feel a lot is missing here
    • Are all of the extras from the original 2 disc deluxe set version here?
    • Radio spots, promotional interviews, outtakes from other people trying out for the show....anything but Davy's solo album.
    • Should have added Davy doing "Gonna Buy Me A Dog" from the Farmer's Daughter show
    Here's hoping they are just holding back on stuff to create a kick-ass MOTM set!!!

Hep Alien and izgoblin like this.
  5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Mine came to $71 after taxing and shipping costs.

6. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

To answer your question- no, not all of the extras from the 2 disc set will be on this set. Rhino has a habit of making each and every version of a Monkees release have something that the others don't. Makes for a cluttered CD rack, but at least we keep getting more new stuff, right?

Galley and PhoffiFozz like this.
  7. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Yea, the same as the previous sets.... give or take a buck or two. It shouldn't be near $80 unless one opts for overnight delivery. Ron

8. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I don't think they offer anything other than standard shipping on these anymore. I know they didn't last time (Present).

9. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Haven't heard the Friday music mastering but this is what will determine if I buy the super deluxe - if the mastering is significantly better - less loud and less harsh in the high frequencies - then I'll have to make the plunge. The extra rarities aren't essential for me.

10. dugan99

dugan99 Forum Resident

Agreed on the Arista remixes...would have made more sense to me than the Davy album. I think they got all of the missing TV versions covered here that relate to the 1st album. Only one I can think of is the Papa Gene's Blues that was edited to extend it after the guitar solo by inserting the first verse again. We should see more on the next releases (assuming they are coming at some point). In general, this is sort of underwhelming. I was hoping the 3rd disc would have been some sort of dvd/blu-ray of some of the outtakes and the cleaned up print of the pilot. (Hopefully they are saving that for a high def release down the road.)

Iceman08 likes this.
  11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Forgive me if this has already been covered or if I'm displaying laziness by not figuring it out myself but what's not carried over from the 2-disc set?

12. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Don't know all of them, but off the top of my head, missing are the Propinquity demo and the Mike sung version of I Don't Think You Know Me. I am sure that there are a couple of others as well.

13. "R" Ed

"R" Ed Forum Resident

It's too bad they didn't release this with a 3D front cover this time around similar to BB&M and IR. Seems they cheapened out with the Presents cover. Could have been interesting effect so that the cover could change from the original with "Papa Jeans Blues" back to the cover with "Papa Genes Blues":p

Upsiditus, izgoblin, Iceman08 and 7 others like this.
  14. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I'd like to see the other unused picture counting down from 3 to 2. that would be a fun lenticular cover. Too bad Michelle isn't around much anymore, she could do one like she did for Changes with the disappearing Nesmith

15. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

boy some of you are really hating on this release! I think it looks like a pretty good set ! I don't own Davy's solo album so this is a good set for me to get !

echosend, Galley and PhoffiFozz like this.
  16. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

The box cover is ugly. I hate that yellow. They should knock off $10 for getting cheap with the box design.

17. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

You know, it's strange....
    No one broke down my door this morning and then forced me to go online to buy this set. I guess that guy visited some of your places instead.

18. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Same people complaining about this set will be the same ones complaining about it being sold out, and costing $200.00 on Ebay a year from now.
    Well, I am sure glad I didn't listen to the people saying a 3 disc Headquarters Sessions sounds like overkill, and the people who said the 3 disc version of one of the worst Monkees albums (BB&M) would be a total waste of money...:D

19. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

ordered 3991 copies. See those of you willing to pay $200 a pop on Amazon and eBay after this comes out. Yeeeehaw!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  20. HELLOLARRY

HELLOLARRY Forum Resident

The resale market can always 'ask' for $200 for something but it doesn't necessarily mean it is going to sell for that much. That is what kills the joy of these things is that people get greedy. I've seen those prices for the BBM sets and it is ridiculous! IF I had an extra set for some reason, I'd sell it to someone at cost or $10 more to cover the shipping...something along those lines.

I agree, nobody is forcing anyone to order this. I personally am going to wait it out to see what the opinions are of what is included before I take the plunge on this one. Just a gut feeling but I doubt it will sell out. I feel the third disc is a waste especially when that material (save for the two Nesmith demos) has been available elsewhere for quite some time already. Everyone has a different plan of attack.

Iceman08 likes this.
  21. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Sad admission: the first version of "It Ain't Me Babe" I ever heard by anyone was this Davy Jones' take.

mjthomas001 likes this.
  22. JDistheone

JDistheone Forum Resident

I love the yellow box.

23. JDistheone

JDistheone Forum Resident

No its just supply and demand. Sessions was limited to 4500 copies but took 3 years to sell out. BBM took a year to sell out. Anyone could have gotten a copy, but with new fans coming into the fold supply for these two very popular releases has continued to command high prices. Forget the dealers asking $200 for these, real prices are based on auctions starting at or below the retail price of $60. Current average prices for these two sets are in the $125 -$175 range.

24. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

I paid $125 for a copy of BB&M for my wife for Xmas, to replace the one we lost in a fire. The look on her face was worth every penny.

25. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

I may get it, but it will be to keep my collection of Monkees complete. I have the two disc set, and I am happy with that. I think this will be like the last 3 releases which are still sitting on the Monkees website at the original retail price.

Mr Hankey likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.