The Shure V15VxMR Revisited: What A Great Phono Cartridge!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by EdogawaRampo, Oct 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member Thread Starter

I have a Shure V15xMR I bought some time around 2002 I think. In the system I had at the time it was OK, but nothing to write home about, so I started experimenting with other carts and went through the following:'

Dynavector 10X5
    Shelter 501 MK11
    Koetsu Rosewood Standard
    Dynavector XX2 Mk 1
    Lyra Helikon
    Lyra Kleos

For the past month I've been listening to my Helikon through my outboard phono stage. I have had one of my relatives dig out a pre-amp I had in storage that I had restored and upgraded before it went into storage and it's on my way to me now.

So, thinking I might sell my current preamp if my previous one sounds better in my current system, I started checking out all the functions on my current pre. They all checked, so the last thing on the list was the MM phono section, so I dug out the Shure.

A year or two ago I saw a Jico SAS stylus for it and, thinking I might sell it, I got it so whomever bought it would have a new stylus. Installed the stylus, put it away and didn't think about it until yesterday when I decided to mount it and check out the MM section of the pre.

I did not expect what I am hearing.

One fantastic cartridge for the money.

In my system I am hearing this cart throw out a big soundstage, provide a solid, fat but controlled low end, just really full but not overblown bass, fine detail and a solid, powerful floor.

For some reason, I remembered the cart as kind of dull. It must have been on the system I had at the time, which, admittedly, was not anything like the system I have now.

Still, compared with carts that cost two, three, or four times more it holds its own.

I don't have the Shelter 501 anymore (truth is, I only kept the Lyras), but I think the Shure might be better than I remember the Shelter.

No, it doesn't provide the detail and air that the more expensive carts do, but as I'm listening now, I am absolutely enjoying what I am hearing and don't feel like I'm missing anything, not at the moment, anyway.

I know the V15xMR is supposed to have a rolled off high-end, but if it does I don't sense any loss in my ears. Everything I'm hearing is rich, sweet and detailed enough to provide me with huge listening satisfaction.

I am so glad I did not sell this cartridge.

As I sit here now, I have to say, in retrospect, the Shure V15xMR is probably one of the best audio bargains I've ever had. I think I paid somewhere between US$350 and US$450 for it when I bought it. With the new stylus I have on it, I am confident it can compete with cartridges costing twice as much.

Wow.

V15 review:

http://hometheaterreview.com/shure-v15-phono-cartridge-reviewed/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    Agent57 and Shak Cohen like this.
  2. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I agree completely, except I use an M91ED with an SAS.

sushimaster likes this.
  3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I bought my first V-15 III in 1973 and have been a fan of that cartridge since then. A few years ago I bought a couple of the Jico SAS styli for the two that I use and was just amazed on how they transformed my favorite old cartridge. I'm happy to hear that you rediscovered your V15xMR. I'll have to try one someday.

sushimaster likes this.
  4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

With the Jico SAS installed, and the capacitance not too high (if loaded at 47k), they sound like a $1k+ cartridge, IMO.

rxcory, EdogawaRampo and utahusker like this.
  5. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

Even the lowly M97xe with upgraded Jico SAS are supposedly really good sounding.
    I hope Jico stays in business for a very long time. I got a couple of old Shure V-15 type III that came with a turntable I bought at a thrift store, and Jico SAS has given them new life.

6. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I've been using V15's since 1977. Currently have an Ultra 500 and V15xMR for my Empire 698. Love em both.

7. sgb

sgb Senior Member

After spending tens of thousands of 1980s dollars on dozens of exotic moving coils and the arms (and a table or two as well) that sounded best with them, I couldn't get over the absolute naturalness of a V15 in a low mass arm. The epiphany came to me in the summer of 1989. Same arm and table ever since but an upgrade to the VxMR in the late 90s.

8. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

Me too @ work! - awesome cart!

9. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

Are all the V15's the V15xMR type or are there lesses V15's out there? Time to setup an ebay search that emails me on newly listed items!

10. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

There are many V15s - the first model, Type II-V, then lastly a VxMR. Stylus upgrades/improvements came along the way. There were also "Ultra" variants, even P-mounts, etc.

11. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

I have 2 V15III's with Jico SAS styli. I am tremendously pleased with the sound of both. First one of these was purchased in 1977 on a Technics SL 1600. I still have it as well and use it most every day.

12. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

Ultra 400 in my setup. Very happy about it and am kinda wondering what would top it without spending a mortgage payment to replace it.

13. EdogawaRampo

I think you are probably right.

14. EdogawaRampo

Don't think you need to characterize the M97xe as lowly. I remember reading that it gives 90 percent of the performance of the V15xMR. If that's true, there's nothing lowly about it.

15. EdogawaRampo

The only thing I wish was different about the cart is I wish the cart had threaded mounting holes. Kind of a difficult, fumbly process getting the thing on the headshell. Minor complaint.

utahusker likes this.
  16. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

Is that right Shure got rid of it? If so why????

17. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The process of using beryllium for the cantilevers was prohibitive. I'm surprised they didn't switch to a different material. Maybe they didn't want to spend the $$$ needed to revise?

sushimaster likes this.
  18. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

You would think they would revise the cantilever with a cost effective metal and thus provide extended life for all the thousands of old Shure V carts out there.
    There is profit to be made, but kudos to Jico for taking advantage of the opportunity and making a fine product.

19. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I think Jico has put a fine cartridge into a class above. Beyond the sound, the tracking/tracing is even better than with the original tip. The only thing I don't like is I won't dare play styrene pressings with an SAS, though an original Shure Microridge was fine with them in my experience.

narkspud likes this.
  20. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

Unless there's another Shure cartridge I don't know about, the thread title's wrong and we're talking about the Shure V15VxMR!

The great thing about this cartridge of course is that it's a simply incredible tracker. Goodbye, distorted sibilance! With the original stylus, it had quite a warm, rolled-off sound but the Jico SAS injects a bit more life. The reason is that it alters the frequency response, giving it a slight uplift at the top end instead of continuing to roll off as the native stylus did.

Years ago I started learning how to do frequency response charts with this cartridge and posted the results on the forum. Here's a link, just in case it's of interest to anyone:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...esponse-charts-for-various-cartridges.308778/

EdogawaRampo and Agent57 like this.
  21. Agent57

Agent57 Marshall will buoy, but Fender control

Totally agree, I've been enjoying mine for many years. Great cart.

22. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I was playing the Steve & Kevin mastered LP of MOONDANCE the other day. Even on "Into the Mystic", which is cut very close to the label, nothing I remember audibly suggested I was playing the last track on the side. Amazing.

23. EdogawaRampo

You're right -- the thread title should be changed to V15VxMR -- the last on the list on the Shure flyer I posted.

Maybe a gort can fix it?

24. narkspud

narkspud Forum Resident

Came here to say this, so I'll just second it. Keep styrene far, far away from that SAS, or face unimaginable heartbreak.

25. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Well, horses for courses. The Shure V15 series was one of the flattest over the frequency spectrum. Anthony Cordesman published the curves in TAS many moons ago on a variety of cartridges plus the Shure. It does have a slightly rolled off treble so if you like sharper treble it will seem a bit dull. If you like full and not edgy then the Shure will rate higher. The Clearaudio Maestro sound was modeled after the Shure sound. The key point is that the Shure has a line contact stylus not an elliptical so it preserves a fair amount of treble detail just doesn't spotlight it. I use it mostly for 45s with the brush down for rocksolid tracking (I only have vinyl 45s BTW). Sometimes I use it on hard rock/electronic LPs as well. Acoustic and classical benefit from a bit more refined cartridge IMO, not that the Shure is bad.

NB Soundsmith will also retip the Shure V15.

EdogawaRampo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.