Email from Owen Morris about the latest Oasis Remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wbhendrix, Sep 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I have the 2009 reissues and they do the job for me. They're not audiophile records by any measure, but they do what they say on the tin.

2. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I'm a bit confused here. The album wasn't remastered by Morris, and Cooper did nothing but remove some vocal sibilance. So the claims of "original recording remastered" are a pretty hefty exaggeration, no?

3. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Example A, the 2005 Dave Sardy remix of 'Morning Glory':

Aaron76 likes this.
  4. sonci

sonci Forum Resident

NO they remaster only the good mastered albums..

5. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

still sounds horrid

6. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

oh wow! thanks for this. very interesting... anyway, I miss tons of reverb... the original mix has just more oomph... I realize it's the case of me being used to particular mixes. However, nonetheless, I think that Oasis is not one of those bands, which would benefit from remixing. The Beatles - hell yeah, some other 60s bands maybe...

Here though I don't think that making Oasis sound like Blur = more timid is the way to go.

7. JRJ

JRJ Forum Resident

I'm a huge OASIS fan and I bought all the reissues when they came out in 2009. Here in Canada they were expensive!
    I really did like all the Lp's except Be here now. I really do like all the songs but where was the bass?? I'm not sure if it's how it was recorded or mixed, but there is no bass!
    John

8. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

What if he was "triple dog dared" to go back and fix it? :winkgrin: I admit it's a punishing album to listen to at times but I think the new version is a little bit of an improvement and it's definitely an iconic album for me since so many of the bands I liked in the 80's had faded right about the time when Oasis came on the scene and offered up some great songs and filled the void left by the absence of those bands that had called it a day.

9. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Very interesting, easier on the ears for sure but lacks the urgency of the original that takes off at a frantic pace daring you to keep up with it. Maybe something in between might have been worthwhile. This seems like a band just going through the notes as a kind of rehearsal.

10. B_a_R

B_a_R Forum Resident

Hey gang, didn't see a dedicated forum post as to the quality of this double LP, and if there is one, someone please link me, here's my experience of the release: Just purchased and listened and i found disc one to be very sibilant and distorted, disc two was less so. I'm not hearing much of an improvement on the orig slabs i have. I was hoping, as were most of us, that the over-limiting would be tamed but it's still sounds pretty awful to me.. i am a fan and i'd have passed on this had i heard it first. The cover and 180g pressings are nicely done. Doing a quick A/B of the Digital D/L v/s the orig CD reveals to me that the mix seems even MORE compressed now. The orig CD Liams vocal is very up front with his delay very audible, rest of the band very much in the background. The new Mp3 Everything is squashed to the foreground and his vocal effects are buried. :/ It also seems the overall output is a few DB louder on the new digital D/L.

Mike Vlcek likes this.
  11. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Great that Owen takes the time to explain, bravo! Two of their best, will stick with my original cd's though.

12. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

While I still think there are some strange centre channel mixing choices, I've found over time that I've come to appreciate the 5.1 SACD more and more. Overall I think it's more accessible, the percussion sounds more cleanly resolved, the EQ choices sound better and less muddy, I'm glad I never sold this one.

Compared Some Might Say last night, Japanese CD5 to 2014 remaster to SACD, the latter hands down took the cake. The overall mix of the 2014 is ever so slightly better than the dynamic CD5 but its so horribly compressed that you can't make it to the end of the song, ghastly. The CD5 sounds just the tiniest bit more muddy which perhaps a little EQ boost in the higher frequencies might help, but you can crank it and listen to the whole song.

PhantomStranger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.