Oasis - (What's The Story) Morning Glory deluxe reissues announced

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Amnesiac, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

The Smiths and the Jam and other British bands threw away astonishing material on b-sides; doing so is part of the great history of British pop, dating all the way back to the Beatles hiding something as fantastic as "This Boy" on a b-side, but Noel took the practice to ridiculous extremes.

mc7t and jupiter8 like this.
  2. You can say that again! Some of The Jam's best material was their B-sides. There are loads to choose from but The Butterfly Collector and Mr. Clean are two great tracks left off their albums and used as B-sides instead. It makes me wonder of they do it deliberately to get the fans to buy the singles as well as the albums.

Quincy likes this.
  3. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

lpfreak1170 likes this.
  4. Does it come with a digital booklet? I'm just asking because it does on iTunes.

5. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Bernard Sumner has stated that New Order didn't include their singles on their first two albums for just this reason.

6. ProfBoz

ProfBoz Forum Resident

My LP arrived today, and after some annoying labor, I was able to download the MP3s, which I then had rename, because they downloaded as a series of catalog codes or something. Anyway, I'm up and running. I have all the original CD singles, plus the MC SACD, so I'll probably just stick with the LP and the downloads. I compared the MP3 tracks from disc 2 against the original single tracks I've downloaded onto my computer and, yes, they new ones are loud as all get out, and distorted, but the other tracks are compressed and distorted as well, but more muffled. I read the Owen Morris letter and I get it: this is what Oasis sounds like. Anyway, I'm in Oasis heaven right now. "Bonehead's Bank Holiday" is the one track of theirs from this period I'd never heard, and I luv it, mate. Enjoying the cover of "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" as well. I'm just really happy I collected all those singles back in 2006 or whenever it was, and I'm delirious my wife found that SACD at Best Buy and put it in my Christmas stocking back in 2003!

7. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Wow...kinda mind-boggling really...who needs 16 bits when you could probably do with 8. :D

8. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Vinyl is very loud.
    Compressed, as is every single version of WTSMG ever.
    Lots of clarity though, and no harshness whatsoever. It's fine to crank.

Is it the Beatles mono set? Of course not. Is it a quality listen? I enjoyed it... Much less muffled and way more vibrant than the original CD. A little silibance in the vocals but that's my only quibble. Sleeves were fine... Vinyl was dead silent, no ticks or pops at all. (Then again, I doubt I could've heard them. Did I mention this is cut LOUD?)

Just to clarify, I also liked the DM vinyl, and I use my ears rather than waveform comparisons. If you hate this sound on vinyl I would stay away.

9. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

To echo other's reviews: the vinyl is very loud but it very clear.

I don't know if the original vinyl did this too, but I find it very annoying to have this stupid "Bonehead" song in the middle of the album.

meandafoe and Smiths22 like this.
  10. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Take a look yourself!. The graph is above your head.:laughup:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  11. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I wish I would've seen this before ordering the CD version from Amazon earlier tonight and downloading the Autorip. Oh well. Anyway, I really like the b-sides from the album, perhaps better than a lot of the album material itself, so I guess it's worth it to have them on CD, loudness war mastering and all.

As an aside, the store I bought the LP from today said they only ordered 1 copy of the CD version, which was already sold by the time I got there today. This was a national chain, btw.

13. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

No digital booklet in the LP download. Files will also have to be re-tagged as Prof said.

14. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

15. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

When can we expect be here now? January i guess...

16. lpfreak1170

lpfreak1170 Senior Member

17. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

I had already ordered the discs and free download from Amazon but at $19.98 I don't feel cheated at all but very kind of you to post this. Pretty good deal. Loving the new songs as they sound pretty well done compared to the early cd which was kind of harsh.

18. mc7t

mc7t Forum Resident

It was always there on the original (and reissue) vinyl version.

Personally, I love the track (and pleased that other forum members have included it on their fantasy version of the album)

:)

19. ZoSo794

ZoSo794 Forum Resident

The intro on "bonehead's bank holiday" on the 2014 vinyl is different than the original creation pressing.

20. Fergie

Fergie Forum Resident

Hi there got the lp yesterday, cleaned it, listened to it, it's loud and a bit compressed in my opinion but hey could be worse my only problem with it was about 2 mins into hey now! The needle jumped back about 30 sec of the song thinking about sending it back. Has anybody else had this problem?

21. deadman

deadman Forum Resident

And the 2009 vinyl pressing has a different mix altogether.

22. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

Well whaddaya know. Never knew that Bonehead song was on the LP release only. I listened to it and can't say I love it that much. It doesn't fit in with the rest of them album and I can see how it would disrupt the flow for those not used to this song as part of the album.

23. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident

I know what you mean... If 'Step Out' wasn't omitted due to copyright issues i wonder if it would have still been included on the original vinyl issue - and would 'Some Might Say close side 2 and Side 3 open with 'Step Out'?

24. grummer

grummer Member

Ok, done. Comparison of three LP pressings:

Enjoy ;).

PH416156, Amnesiac and NunoBento like this.
  25. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I'm the exact opposite. For me, it needs to be in there. I think it flows just fine with the rest of the tracks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.