Uriah Heep on CD...after searching, I am confused!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by shinedaddy, Mar 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Great One

The Great One formerly known as SCARSE

Although the Bronze 'Demons and Wizards' is the way to go. the Expanded Edition is worth buying (its very cheap) for the bonus track 'Why' ..... top tune!

2. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

3. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Used UH in my area are hard to find; harder still for anything unremastered.

Yes, I can ebay the titles but at what cost? Probably cheaper than the early Japanese titles though.:)

4. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

Look at the up side. In the case of Uriah Heep, the preferred pressings aren't even Japanese. ;)

5. vinyl diehard

I have some remastered UH, one early Castle (made in France - Return to Fantasy), one 1989 era Japanese edition on TEICHIKU (Demons and Wizards) and a few 1993 Japanese Victors. Without being bias, the TEICHIKU sounds wonderful. I really do like French Castle as well.

6. budlyte

budlyte Forum Resident

anyone?

7. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

How the heck did you find that thread? I use the search function and never have much luck.
    thanks.

8. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

I haven't heard anything else but I'm quite happy with the original Mercury US CDs.

Todd W. likes this.
  9. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

Not the CDs I'm talking about, but they could be the same.

I don't know what mastering was used for those old Castle 2fers.

10. vinyl diehard

By latest Sanctuary, do you mean 2003? I have the Live Album and it is LOUD.
    And not in a good way.:sigh:

11. vinyl diehard

If you mean the Sanctuary releases, I only have the Live album and that is much too loud for me. My vinyl will be the go to version if I'm in the mood for that album. I don't know how the rest of the Sanctuary releases are though.

12. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

I found two japanese versions of Demons and Wizards and Look at Yourself at my local record store. They were a bit pricey, so I didn't buy them. Sadly, I didn't write down what editions they where, but they seemed pretty new, and the cover of Look at Yourself had "the mirror" reproduced.

Do you know which versions I'm talking about and are they any good?

13. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

OK. So I finally checked what year these editions were from and it says 2003, Sanctuary remasters with bonus tracks. It looks like the same ones as the western releases, except the japanese put more care into restoring the artwork (better printed and Look At Yourself has the mirror restored (I guess it isn't restored on the western editions?). So I guess it's not worth giving double the price for these japanese CD if it's the same remaster... Or is it?

14. lonecoyote25

lonecoyote25 New Member

I've seen 2008 deluxe editions on the UK Amazon, but I can't find any info about these versions. Are they new remasters? How they sound? Anybody?

15. Lucky

Lucky Member

Look at Yourself - SHM SACD - super !!!!!!

16. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I have the Mercury CD's of Look At Yourself, Demons and Wizards, Magicians' Birthday and Uriah Heep Live. These are not re-masters. No, they are not what you see here as the top of the line CD's. But for me, I enjoy all of them. They are crankable and enjoyable.

17. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

On a similar note. I'm wanting to sample UH, myself. Any suggestions about which "Best Of" anthology to start with to get the best combination of best sound / best career overview?

18. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

19. old school

old school Senior Member

20. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Yep. My old non remastered D&W sounds pretty good, if I remember correctly.

21. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

I have the Bronze issues of the first three albums and they sound fantastic. In fact, the Bronze cd of the first album is one of my favorite cd's. Balanced sound, very analogue sounding, and great stereo image, the sound is nicely spread out and very clear. Look Hear sounds pretty similar. The Salisbury cd doesn't sound as good, but I think that has to do with the sound of the album; I find it dull and quiet.

Don't get the Mercury's for the first two albums. The sound is thinner and I find the original UK track listings superior to the US ones. I also prefer the original UK album covers to the US ones :) But the cd's sound fantastic. I can't comment on the later albums, because I haven't listened to them (yet ;) ) But for the first three, I haven't even been concerned about comparing them to other discs because they sound that good. They're all I need.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  22. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Myke likes this.
  23. lonecoyote25

lonecoyote25 New Member

24. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

I seem to have a problem seeing almost anything by them in the used bins, especially "very eavy, very umble."

25. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Yes those are remasters. I can't comment on the sound, but if you want my advice the early Bronze CD's are the way to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.