Any fans of The Big Bang Theory on CBS?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lasvidfil, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Welcome to part 2

I have watched the first few episodes of this season so far and while it still makes me chuckle, I know that I'm sadly starting to fade on it. It doesn't seem forced, but it just doesn't have that once magical vibe anymore for me. It sometimes seems like the characters, especially Penny, has become bored with even being around these guys anymore. I'll stick with it for as along as I can, but they better bring the "funny" back quick and skip all of this silly "Ross and Rachel" crap, that I fear is coming!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I still find it funny and fully appreciate the thechy/nerd jokes that the show has always been able to articulate. The way they handle the non-techy suff, ie, actual human relationships, which are well outside their comfort zones, is what adds freshness to the formula. There are only so many Star Wars/Star Trek/Comic book superhero stories you can do. Still a lot of fun.

3. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

I blame the writing. Either the writing team is jealous of the actors cashing in, or they cut out some talent, or they're just lazy. It's a shame the acting team of this caliber is not given the material commensurate with their talent.

rburly likes this.
  4. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

The first 3 episodes were a little underwhelming, but I'm still going to keep watching it. I could care less about Penny's hair cut.

5. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Penny is a dumb bunny most of the times which was funny for few years
    But, if I was scientist like Leonard , I would get tired of her real quick.
    FYI she wanted she shave her head over the summer.

rburly likes this.
  6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

There are...compensating factors. Penny has been shown to have insight into things that the boys don't. A kind of social intelligence if you will, rather than a scholastic intelligence. Opposites do attract (up to a point). Bernadette & Howard are closer together in smarts, but I'd say Howard & Penny are a better match to say nothing of Sheldon & Amy who are intellectual equals (even if he doesn't think so) and yet are completely dysfunctional as a couple.

7. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

She's quite booze hound.. in early seasons ...
    I think penny would kill, Howard. Evil.........:laugh:
    Sheldon should stay solo I always thought he as A sexual
    Or the robot who finds love with another robot.
    How Ep Penny goes to AA and Howard has to drive there.:shh:

8. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

It will be interesting to see how they handle Penny in this new job. Will she actually "get smart" and make it with her intelligence or will she get by on her looks and personality?

9. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Actually, Howard and Raj are the perfect parinig.

10. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Just finished watching this weeks episode a few minutes ago. The writing seems to have gone down hill this season....just not as funny.

Also, one of three things is going on with Penny / Kaley -

1. Kaley is pregnant and they are trying to cover it up.
    2. They are toning down the sexiness of the Penny character since Kaley is married now.
    3. The are toning down the sexiness of the Penny character in an effort to take the character in a different direction.

rburly likes this.
  11. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

It reminds me of pro ball players who sign long term contracts and lull into mediocrity the next year or two.

I know the key players aren't writing the material, but it's lackluster to me.

rockclassics likes this.
  12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Seems every season people say it's not as good as it used to be, but frankly, I don't see it. It's been pretty consistently funny throughout. Maybe it's because as a science geek, I get most of the more technically based jokes which others may not. Just a hypothesis! :)

13. rburly

I enjoyed the first seasons with just the guys and Penny the best. Others have talked about the show growing, and that's a good thing, but it's more of a drawback to the show than if the writers had gone in a different direction with women and the guys.

If you enjoy the show as much as you ever have, who am I to tell you that you're wrong? I can't tell you that. I just don't enjoy it as much myself. We can agree to disagree.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
    Trapper J likes this.
  14. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Something tells me they will have to write the pregnancy into the script. Wonder how that will pan out. After seeing tonight's episode, if I were Penny, Raj would have been kicked in the nuts for what he told his girlfriend. Curious how this angle turns out. Both women seem to hate each other. Something tells me the stand-offish attitude just isn't towards Penny alone.

15. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

I hear Episode 4 is a bit better. I need to watch that one. The show does seem to have a had a slow start this season, but maybe that's partly my reaction to all the hype during the hiatus - especially about the cast getting a raise (Kaley, Jim and Johnny to $1 mil and Simon and Kunal to $800,000). That being said, the episodes are certainly no better than average, particularly episode 1 (which should have been a humdinger). I'll have to watch out for what the deal with Kaley is (if indeed there is anything going on).

16. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

Yes Episode 4 was much better for me, I actually laughed out loud more than once ... Oh, and Kaley really, really doesn't look pregnant. If she is then there is some kind of special effects miracle going on. I think the writers are just really trying to go somewhere new with Penny.

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

One option would be that she and Leonard have a fight and break up for a few months or she could get assigned to another country in her new job and communicate via skype (ie, head shot only)...

18. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Has there been an announcement that Kaley is pregnant? :confused:

19. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

No announcement - just loose clothes. The haircut dials down the hotness factor too (this from a gay guy). It may be part of the shift to a different more professional Penny - although the clothes tend to go against that. It could be that the wardrobe people are shifting her outfits early in anticipation of a pregnancy. It could be that the wardrobe people are now clueless about attire/jealous of her new contract.

20. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

My wife and I watched last night's show live and when Raj walked in with his new girlfriend, my wife said, they have too many characters now and they need to lose some people and I may have to agree with her. At least I can be thankful that they gave Raj a new girlfriend, as that last one was BORING!

My own issues so far this season, are mostly because of Howard obsessing about his mother and her relationship with Stewart. That made for a couple of great minutes of comedy, but as they keep trying to stretch it, it makes the writers seem lazy, as it just too easy and that relationship isn't worthy of spending so much time with it. On the other hand, the writers keep writing many brilliant lines for Sheldon and Jim Parsons keeps delivering them perfectly!

My other issue is with the character of Bernadette. Ever since the first time that they had her character get loud and bossy, which was funny, they have had her be mean, at least once every episode and it's NOT funny. I want the old, soft and fun-loving Bernadette back and if I can't have it, I want the actor that plays her in a horror movie, where she finally loses her top and then I can get over my obsession of wondering why she has such a cute natural smallness in her structure, with exception to her (in my opinion), far too top heaviness!

21. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

There's no doubt about it. Poor Leonard...in the past he has tried to be more masculine...now with Penny and her short hair...forget about it...;)

22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I would agree with that point (only).

23. bluenote

bluenote Forum Resident

I think they are just trying to grow her character. I believe in season 1 she was around 22? So we are now in season 8 which would make her character around 30 years old. There's usually a huge amount of growth from a carefree 22 year to a 30 year old. The partying starts to decrease, you're more career focused, you become more responsible, etc. I think this is a pretty accurate portrayel. Perhaps not as fun as she used to be though.

I get what people are saying though about the show being more enjoyable when they were all single. I do agree somewhat, but I don't think they could have 8 seasons of just the 4 main guys and no partners and stuff. The writers would just run out of ideas.

24. rburly

I think what they're doing with Bernadette is to make her as much like Howard's mother as possible. Her voice went from soft and pleasant to shrieking, a la Howard's mother. In essence, they're making it seem as though Howard married his mother, which is fodder for psychoanalysis.

25. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, I noticed that too. In some of the early episodes when they first started going out and Bernadette spent some time around Mrs (Debbie) Wolowitz, Bernadette belted out a few phrases in pitch perfect Mrs Wolowitz style before catching herself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.