Need 12AX7 Tube Recommendation

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TommyTunes, Sep 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I knew after I hit the Post Reply button, I should have kept my mouth shut. Sorry

2. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

These sound pretty nice: 12AX7 Mullard NOS Late 1960s, “B” Factory, EICC

3. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident

Gold Lions are a great modern 12AX7. Vacuum Tube Valley magazine (sadly ceased publication a while back) ran a comparison of all available 12AX7, modern and NOS and concluded the best overall performer was the Raytheon. Bought a pair of NOS for the phono end of my Fisher 500B and can agree they are excellent - and expensive now as the stock diminishes.

4. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

Have not tried these yet. They were given to me. Anybody tried them here? Baldwin 12AX7A and Japan Toshiba 12AX7.

5. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

Baldwin is made by sylvania usually. Does it have yellow or green print?

6. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

Yellow

7. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Baldwin 12AX7's are great. Whether yellow or green paint. And undervalued at that.

8. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

How do they sound to ya?

9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Very smooth, not unlike RCA blackplates. I use them both with my Fisher 400 and Dynaco PAS 3. Terrific preamp tube.

10. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

They are the exact same tube. Just different labels

11. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

Thanks

12. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Despite sounding similar, they certainly don't sound like identical inside of my SP8, despite looking identical from the outside.

Yes, I fully realize that the Genelex tube is based-up on the LPS, and that they both come out of the same factory. But I suspect that they might do something slightly different inside, or possibly use better materials inside of the Genelex tube. Otherwise I do not understand the difference in sound which I hear, unless it is simply a matter of grading, and choosing the best to be given the Genelex label.

13. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Loved that magazine. You do know, I suspect, that all the VTV issues have been scanned to PDF and are available on the Web?

bajaed likes this.
  14. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

15. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident

Got 'em all. They are good and a helpful resource. They have all been scanned into Pdf and I would recommend them to forum members who are not familiar with them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.