eBay/PayPal increasing their dispute time from 45 to 180 days

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by SoporJoe, Sep 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know there's a few of you that still sell on eBay (and maybe someone has already posted this), but starting in mid-November buyers will be able to file disputes up to SIX MONTHS from when they buy the item!

What a pain in the butt this is going to be for any sellers out there.

2. Chris_G

Chris_G Well-Known Member

Yes, I've heard of this. Basically a dishonest buyer can use a product for that period of time then return it for a full refund. Ebay and Paypal are making things easier for scammers.

3. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

This ranks as one of the dumbest policies ever.

6 months!?!?!?!?! Total nonsense.

4. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

So where is someone to sell things these days? I'm thinking along the lines of the "cleaning-out-the-closet-but-not-junk" types of sales, and not just items of interest to SHF members.

5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

45 days seems reasonable to me as a buyer. I'm not sure why they are doing this.

6. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I think this is too long - but the previous time was too short. I have had to dispute a couple of purchases that didn't arrive when it was just the slow boat from China to Oz - I think 60-90 days would be better.

7. Chris_G

Chris_G Well-Known Member

If it wasn't for scammers and dishonest buyers, I wouldn't care much about these policies. But then again, it's because of scammer sellers that Paypal is doing this. Paypal will do what ever will profit them more: protect the buyers or protect the sellers. Buyers buying stuff is what brings in the fees, so buyers whether honest or scammers, will get more protection.

8. bobfrombob

bobfrombob Forum Resident

That's only going to work as long as there are reputable sellers - if you protect buyers to an unreasonable degree, people will find another place to sell.

9. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

People have been saying that for years every time ebay rolls out another anti-seller policy...yet here they are in 2014 still doing their thing.

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yup, their ball, their rules. Many other auction sites have come and gone. None has ever been close to sticky enough to work.

11. DaleH

DaleH Forum Resident

I don't think I would sell a used piece of vintage gear as used/working under a six month guarantee. I would have to give a full refund as well as pay shipping both ways if a problem develops six months down the road.

12. bobfrombob

bobfrombob Forum Resident

That's exactly the attitude they've been running their business under. I'm just a tiny grain of sand on a huge beach but they have lost me as a seller. Haven't bought there in quite a while either.

Gumboo, noname74 and chazz101s like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.