Which Blue Note Artist Dominates Your Collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by badsneakers, Oct 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. badsneakers

badsneakers Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have more Horace Silver albums on Blue Note than any other artist who recorded for the label. He has remained one of my favourites over the years, and never tire of listening to him. The Quintet may have changed several times, but his work between the mid 1950's and late 1960's rarely seem to stray from that unique trademark style. His albums have such a wonderful blend of musical influences, but I think it's the compositions he wrote that bring me back - they are just so damn catchy.

2. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

Freddie Hubbard. All his '60's Blue Note albums (except for the live one).

LavidDange likes this.
  3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

It's not really out of choice, I just used to buy loads of Blue Note albums, so I tend to have the most by people who were on the labal a long time - Silver, Morgan, Blakey, Mobley.

rxcory, Tjazz and e.s. like this.
  4. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

Yeah I have a lot of Blue Note on both LP and CD. I cannot say there is one artist above others who I have a lot more of.
    Off hand all I know is I have more Miles Davis music as the one artist i have the most Jazz recordings of. But most of his are not Blue Note.

5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Jimmy Smith & Grant Green

6. Ocean56

Ocean56 Forum Resident

Same here!

7. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

By a short head, it's Wayne Shorter as I have all 11 of his BN...wait...it's 12 now...just remembered Without A Net as I was typing.

And not entirely coincidentally I have 11 Art Blakey BN albums - 10 of which feature Shorter.

JimSmiley likes this.
  8. Rob C

Rob C Forum Resident

Jackie McLean!

Black Widow, 926am and 3rd Uncle Bob like this.
  9. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Joe Henderson.

Not only for the great albums under his own name. But for the many Blue Note LPs where he is a featured sideman.

Among the best musicians ever to record on the Blue Note label.

Erik B., brew ziggins and LavidDange like this.
  10. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I have a lot of Blue Notes, but I don't think any one artist dominates, actually. If you consider Coltrane (or, for example, Van Morrison) a "Blue Note artist," well, I've got tons of stuff. But in terms of Blue Note albums I think my collection is pretty balanced: I have most of the Hubbards, Hancocks, Tyners, Morgans, McLeans, and Greens...

11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I have nearly every release on Blue Note from the classic period, and quite a few newer ones. Not sure which could be said to dominate. . . . No artist really. I have more of them engineered by Rudy Van Gelder than other engineers, I can safely say that. :)

12. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Anybody have a list of how many albums each artist did, I have most of the 4000s and a fair number of 1500s, I'd guess Blakey, followed by Silver, Donaldson and Green, but then there are the Three Sounds, Jimmy Smith, Hank Mobley etc, so who knows.

13. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

Shorter by a long shot

LavidDange likes this.
  14. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

grant green

15. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I suspect Wayne Shorter, if you include his Jazz Messenger albums.

Otherwise, I'd say Grant Green.

16. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

My favorite Blue Notes tend to be from people who were with the label for very few albums: i.e. Eric Dolphy, Ornette Coleman, Cecil Taylor.

But just in terms of sheer bulk, I probably have more Wayne Shorter Blue Notes than any other artist.

LavidDange likes this.
  17. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

For me: Grant Green is #1, then Lee Morgan and Jimmy Smith tie for #2. Freddie Hubbard is #3.

--Geoff

18. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

I have all Hank Mobley's Blue Note recordings, either on LP or CD. I believe 23 or 24.

19. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

Lee Morgan - 20
    Jackie McLean - 19
    Hank Mobley - 13
    Wayne Shorter - 11
    Art Blakey - 10 (+3 non-Blue Note)

Tjazz likes this.
  20. SirNoseDVoid

SirNoseDVoid Forum Resident

Counting sideman appearances as well, it's probably Lee Morgan or Grant Green.

21. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I just had a quick look, excluding comps and only counting each title once I have:

19 Grant Greens
    20 Donald Byrds
    21 Art Blakeys
    27 Lou Donaldsons

Here are some very bad photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Erik B. likes this.
  22. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Some Donaldsons:

[​IMG]

WadeB likes this.
  23. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I won't say "dominates my collection," but any means, but I may have more Andrew Hill or Art Blakey Blue Notes than anyone else, just on the basis of the Mosaic Blue Note boxes of each which are 10 LPs (all of Hill's Blue Note recordings, only Blakey's 1960 recordings).

LavidDange likes this.
  24. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Grant Green, Bobby Hutcherson & Jimmy Smith

25. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

The Hill Mosaic big box only contains his recordings 1963-1966. There's also a 3 CD Select containing unreleased stuff, as well as many individual albums/CDs outside the scope of those 2 collections.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.