It's Over Folks. Hippie Anthem Sold To KFC.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ServingTheMusic, Oct 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Btw, one of the reasons Sports is so lucrative on TV is because no one tapes/dvrs it.

2. ganma

ganma Senior Member

I would never have discovered Thunderclap Newman back in the '80s if I hadn't heard their song on a TV ad. So it's not all bad.

3. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

You people forget,KFC's Parent Company Pepsico,used this in the '80's ads for their Soda,via two truckers,one Coke the other Pepsi,at a Diner..It was being played on a Jukebox..So Big Deal,it's been already done before by them! Big Whoop and Meh...Dunno why it's such a big fat hairy deal now,years later!

4. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

THAT is disgusting.

5. ricks

ricks Senior Member

I say it's about time this song was used in a fast food commercial, 30 or so years overdue it you ask me. Apropos as fast foot will allow everyone, who eats it regulatory, to "Get Together"... at the cardiologists office.

6. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Yeah, I'm surprised Jesse Colin Young would support a restaurant chain who serves GMO foods which program the human body to develop cancer and other diseases while heavily targeting low income and minority groups.

7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

If it wasn't for adds where would Nick Drake or Kinks' 'Village Green Preservation Society' be in popularity.

footlooseman likes this.
  8. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I can remember being a little put off by the use of Drake's "Pink Moon" in the car commercial. I had such personal associations with the song that it seemed like a bit of a violation, but as others have pointed out, it certainly exposed more people to his music. At this point, I really couldn't care less if artists choose to use their music in this way and it almost seems quaint to get upset about it. I can't blame Iggy Pop for letting Carnival Cruise use "Lust for Life" as he nears retirement and if it helps to generate more interest in the music, so much the better.

CliffL likes this.
  9. Former Dead Kennedys frontman Jello Biafra turned down a sizeable offer from Levi's to use "Holiday in Cambodia" in an ad about a decade back, even though the other former band members were up for it.

John Mellencamp turned down a few million for a truck ad back in the '80s, although he's since said he should've taken the money and of course has since licensed to ads.

10. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Didn't the Doors drummer veto some company (maybe Apple) using one of their songs in an ad? The other two were up for it, I think they offered a million, but he didn't want to, saw it as selling out. Now he probably has all the money he needs now, and saw it as just greed to 'sell out' like this, which I think is a good stance. It annoys me when obviously very wealthy musicians allow their music to be used like this, although I can't blame someone maybe who is skint and maybe didn't make much money back in the day.

12. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

FYI...advertisers & their clients pay a LOT for the use of these songs. And they should! And I don't blame the songwriters or groups who allow them access. Easy money & possible exposure to new listeners.

13. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

14. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

15. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

for those who haven't heard the original.

stereoptic and jamesmaya like this.
  16. powerq

powerq Forum Resident

Say a prayer for the Pretender.
    Who started out so young and strong
    Only to surrender.
    Jackson Browne 1976

jamesmaya likes this.
  17. It was over before it even started

18. Depends what you consider the battlefield.

19. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

Cash trumps everything eventually.

20. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

We're still gnashing our teeth and rending our garments over rock songs being used in advertising? I thought the white flag in that war was hoisted about 20 years ago.

And anyway:

Robin L likes this.
  21. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

A very well done commercial, however. Gave me chills every time I saw it.

22. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I've never understood why anyone likes this song anyway.

23. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

maybe it was neil cassadys?

24. Lilainjil

Lilainjil Forum Resident

JL6161 and footlooseman like this.
  25. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Pretty lousy, that's my point: The hippies didn't lose, they became exactly what they were against.

John54 and ArpMoog like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.