"Pink Floyd's" "The Endless River" - Do You Consider it to be Pink Floyd (proper), or no?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by drumzNspace, Oct 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

No any copyright holder can grant permission for a sync license provided they divide proceeds among all

Lownote30 likes this.
  2. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

That's why there was a legal battle on the name. After the Meddle inner gatefold picture Pink Floyd members were never seen again on the album covers. I really think that the vast majority of people who bought AMLOR had no idea of who was actually playing (or not playing) on that album.

dino77 likes this.
  3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Their pix were on a poster included with DSOTM of course

4. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Incorrect on Shine On and Another Brick. Both were sung by Waters.

dino77 likes this.
  5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

6. Music Geek

Sure it's exactly the same. Roger Waters was given a script and he played his part.

:tiphat:

willy likes this.
  7. Music Geek

Waters-less Pink Floyd is dry.

8. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I guess this thread will go on until Waters and Gilmour become members of this forum and express a final opinion :laugh:. (Mmmmm, maybe they're already here under other names! :yikes:)

9. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I don't think that would even make a difference! There are people here who would tell them they're wrong! :)

Zeki, This Heat and Rne like this.
  10. Music Geek

That's still 14 years before AMLOR.

11. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

True but it is an album that pretty much every Floyd fan owns so it is probably the most known photo of the band.

12. Music Geek

I don't think the poster was included everywhere in the world. Also in the 70s Pink Floyd toured UK and US a lot but not so much the rest of the world. What I want to say is that while other bands like, say, the Rolling Stones have a well identified frontman whose absence would be immediately noticeable, Pink Floyd after Syd Barrett was a band without a clear frontman and therefore it was easier for Gilmour to stick Pink Floyd on the cover of an album or on a tour programme and make things look as if nothing had changed.

13. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I'm not sure what the big problem is with this thread, as long as people can remain respectful. It's basically about the continuing rift within the band (or at least, its classic 70s incarnation) and how it affects our view of them today. Yes, these issues have been rehashed for a long time and the upcoming release has rekindled old arguments, but that's certainly not unheard of on message boards like this. It's a testament to how much people care about this band.

bopdd likes this.
  14. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

I don't know - I didn't like Roger Waters as Bond too much.

15. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Almost had me fooled on Another Brick, but that is surely Rog.

16. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Another Brick in the Wall Part 2 has David Gilmour and Roger Waters sharing lead vocal throughout the piece.

Pancat, dino77 and progrocker71 like this.
  17. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Not sure why you are bringing Syd Barrett into the discussion when he only appears on one and a half albums, and the band achieved their greatest success long after he left. Unless you are just trying to be difficult, it really doesn't have anything to do with the post you are responding to, or the context of this thread.

Carserguev likes this.
  18. LSP

LSP Well-Known Member

Of course it isn't 'proper' Floyd.

Having said that, there hasn't been a 'proper' Floyd album since 1977. IMO.

19. Scotsman

Scotsman Forum Resident

Of course it's a Pink Floyd album. There are plenty of bands touring and/or recording where the line-up has altered more drastically than this one. The Glen Miller Orchestra for one!

20. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Another Brick is a co-lead vocal, both David and Roger.

21. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Personally? I could care less about the radio or what songs get played on it. My point, was that in the late 70s and early 80s, when radio was the easiest way to discover music, those are the Pink Floyd songs you heard most often. I was talking about the casual listener...not the die-hard fan.

22. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Luckily, I don't have a single favorite band, but Pink Floyd is very near to that, I've been listening to them since I was a nine-year-old kid, and I feel a true love for their music. I see I'm not alone, many of us love the band. But discussing whether Gilmour and Mason have the right to release some recordings under the name "Pink Floyd" is, in my humble opinion, a waste of time. But, hey, in Frank's words, whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it, so long as it doesn't cause a murder... Do what you like, it's a free world (no, it isn't at all, but, well, at least we have a free forum!).

Tristero likes this.
  23. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Genesis went on without Gabriel and it was still Genesis to me. Floyd went on without Waters and it's still Floyd to me.

Add to the fact Gilmour could have easily made this a solo effort right? But this is clearly a Floyd album in his mind. That's good enough for me, but then again I enjoyed the division bell as much as anything else from the band.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  24. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

How?

25. Music Geek

I have never seen a Genesis album where one member wrote close to 100% of the music and 100% of the lyrics. Even if the collective songwriting credits are hiding the details, I don't think any member has ever claimed otherwise. Peter Gabriel was the frontman but an equal contributor in terms of songwriting. In the case of Pink Floyd we are talking about the person who had written something like 90% of the last three albums before he left.

I think AMLOR was a Pink Floyd album in David Gilmour's [accountant's] mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.