Beatles mono VINYL box set (Part #15)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Sep 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

There are no better sounding Beatles CDs as one lone entity.

ShallowMemory likes this.
  2. slane

slane Forum Resident

That's still an opinion. The EP Collection is still my favourite mono Beatles on CD. And that's my opinion.

m4murder likes this.
  3. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

It does. But this Mono Masters LP is amazing.

389 Tripower and ShallowMemory like this.
  4. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Awesome!

5. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

Funny you should say that; the crisp sound of the tambourine is one of the highlights of the new LPs for me; even makes me appreciate Ringo's role on the LP version of the song Please Please Me. Tell George Martin: In the jingle jangle morning I'll come followin' you. Oops, wrong thread.

Rickchick and Maidenpriest like this.
  6. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

Recently saw this new mono box at our local Hastings. It had one of those spider-wire security things wrapped around it WAY too tight.... I looked at it for a second with my head nodding in disbelief. Thinking to myself, "well, whoever did that probably ensured it will never sell." :shake:

daveidmarx and hodgo like this.
  7. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

Bass on PPM and to a lesser extent WTB was a revelation to me.
    I do think the bass is relatively lacking,however, on AHDN.

bluemooze likes this.
  8. slane

slane Forum Resident

You mean the drumming? Or are you getting confused with his tambourine playing on 'Love Me Do'?

9. Bill Lettang

Bill Lettang Forum Resident

Well...we seem to have covered just about everything and at the end of the day we'll all go home and enjoy our chosen Beatles, and rightly so.....I wonder what the next order of Beatle business will be??????????:wave:

10. Shaker Steve

Shaker Steve Beatles & Elvis Fan

Well, we all have our own ideas on that score. mine would be Rarities (US version), Hollywood Bowl & Oldies (UK) all on CD.

11. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

My wish list would include:

A boxed set of studio outtakes/unreleased material
    Washington, D.C. video
    Promo Videos ('Beatles 1" based or otherwise)
    Shea Stadium video
    Hollywood Bowl audio
    'Let it Be' video

What will actually come out next (beyond the recently announced additional vinyl releases)? No idea! :)

daveidmarx likes this.
  12. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

How 'bout a whole DVD and Bluray of extended outtakes of The Beatles running and jumping around for the filming of A Hard Day's Night. It could be a 2-DVD set from Criterion, complete with essays and analysis, with voiceover track from Paul and Ringo talking about their acting choices in the filming of the scene, along with the famous Bernard Pivot Q&A from James Lipton of Inside the Actor's Studio. :nyah:

Rickchick likes this.
  13. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Can you all please check Side Two on A Hard Days Night there are anomalies, tape damage on Things We Said Today and When I Get Home, I can't be the only person with these problems ?

14. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'll have to check, but I noticed a few little tape flutters over the course of all the albums. I doesn't bother me a whole lot, given the age of the tapes.

Vinyl Dude likes this.
  15. trackstar

trackstar Forum Resident

Is anyone else getting a majority of their labels showing really bad spider line/paper cracking?

Kinda sucks.

16. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

I picked up Rubber Soul today. It really is excellent. I compared it to the mono cd, and the vinyl wins in a landslide. I am someone that loves the mono CDs, but they really do sound flat compared to the vinyl. Steve has said a few times that the CDs were not EQed, so it must be due to good solid mastering on the vinyl.

17. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

Yes, I meant Love Me Do. Love Me D-oh! (Slaps own head.)

18. Vinyl Dude

Vinyl Dude Well-Known Member

I took notice of those anamolies, too, as well as a bit of tape distortion (DEFINITELY not to be confused with IGD) over the course of each album. But, ESPECIALLY given that the tapes are 46-51 years old and, without the aid of digital fixing and cleanup, are BOUND their age in places, I think it only ADDS to the character of the Mono vinyl reissues, and to my ears make them more enjoyable.

Anyway, speaking of forthcoming 180g Beatles vinyl reissues, Has anyone seen the notices of "LOVE", "1" and the Red/Blue Best-Of albums being reissued next month? For one thing, I doubt I'll be buying any of them, as I already have an original U.K. first-pressing of "LOVE", have no use for "1", nor am I in any hurry to once again get ahold of the Red and Blue compilations, even though they were among two of the first Beatle albums I ever owned, as I began developing a hardcore interest in them when I was in 5th Grade. I will say one thing, they are both EXCELLENT compilations, and are the PERFECT starter albums for ANY first-time Beatles fan. Thus, I'm sure that, with Vinyl's customer base now spanning a VERY wide age Demographic, they are bound to fly off the shelves for sure! And on second thought, I may or may not get the Red/Blue reissues just for Nostalgic purposes, but otherwise have all their released tunes on both box sets (Past/Mono Masters included).

Otherwise, I'm still waiting for the aforementioned (in a post on the previous thread) 180g overhaul of the "Anthology" series of Comps, and even 180's of the ORIGINAL 1965 STEREO MIXES of "Rubber Soul" and "Help!" (since they weren't included with the Mono vinyl box, as they were with the CD box). Sorry, but as far as Stereo mixes go, they are rawer, more organic and in your face than George Martin's Digitized 1987 remixes (notwithstanding the usual extreme seperation between instruments and, in the case of RS, vocals as well).

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    Halloween_Jack and bluemooze like this.
  19. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I can't get the records at this point $$$wise. I managed to acquire a few mp3s needledropped to sample through headphones. Sounds pretty good to me. I hear the edit near the end of taxman very pronounced and I hear the Dr Robert edit I've never heard before. Strange.

20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Re mfsl Beatles: The mastering engineer boosted highs and lows due to the person who was in charge at the time wanted them that way (his hearing was damaged). Also, the half-speed process has a certain "sound" to it. So, no, its not a "restoring" in the case of the mfsl Beatles.

21. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

There might be three hundred twenty samples of the new set somewhere but one would need to be a pirate to ascertain such information

22. Dylan Terhune

Dylan Terhune Forum Resident

I've been hearing rave reviews of the new Mono pressings, so i grabbed a copy of Rubber Soul today. Side 1 was ok, side 2 blew me away. Definitely going to be investing in more of these....

bluemooze likes this.
  23. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Ordered from Amazon Germany on Thursday evening, remarkably arrived today. Horrible rainy day in London but I am happy as a camper!

Record on turntable, mono switched engaged - just wow! This is a set for the ages.

24. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

That's the first that I've read about anything like that.

25. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

It's been said before but I'll say it again, the three-dimensionality of those records is simply mind-blowing. The instruments really breathe. They almost sound holographic. It must be the mastering, as the CD's don't sound as good to me. I wonder when Universal are going to start selling 24-192 files with the same mastering (I hope they were recording to a safety tape as they were cutting to disc).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.