New Elbow album: 10 March 2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Music Geek, Jan 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

did anyone catch the Boston show?

2. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

No, but I was at the Philly show and Guy Garvey kept telling us how great the Boston and DC audiences were. ;)

Great show tonight!

3. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Really getting into this band over the last month or so. Love the new album. Seeing them tonight at the Wiltern! :)

sennj likes this.
  4. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Saw them last night at the Fox in Oakland. Like many artists, they were in awe of the place:

http://www.thefoxoakland.com/gallery.html

A very amusing show, considering how serious some consider their music. They got the crowd to sing Fat Bottomed Girls (Queen), suggested by a girl in the audience, in order to bring them back for an encore! :) Some of the best audience clapping, harmony singing and whistling I've ever heard last night.

Been a fan since the first album.

5. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

The Wiltern show in May was amazing. Last night of the tour and the band were clearly having a great time. Enthusiastic and reverent audience... and as described above about the Fox, the band were in awe of the Wiltern.

Since the gig, we've picked up more of the elbow back catalog, and I've been playing them regularly on my Monday night show. Sure wish they would tour the US again soon!!!

6. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

My girlfriend is a big fan and has been playing it for me and I have been impressed by what I've heard.

7. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Anyone checked out their performance on the iTunes Festival? It's great! I'm slowly becoming a fan of this band.

Luke W likes this.
  8. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

I just got The Takeoff And Landing Of Everything (I have their previous album too) and I am enjoying it. Guy Garvey's voice is very up front and the band deemphasized, that was probably a record company decision, he does have a beautiful voice.
    Interestingly, the CD was a cutout, a little surprising in that its only been out a couple of months.

9. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

I've seen cut-outs being offered the same week of an album release.

10. Rgfinch

Rgfinch King Rocky

I'm finding "Take Off" pretty drab so far - I've liked all their other albums but this one just seeme to have a ton of words and not enough tunes to carry them. The music is all a bit tasteful and polite too. Will persevere but I'm not hopeful.

11. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Drab and not tuneful? Not my experience.

12. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I find that Guy has a fondness for songs that kind of hover in suspended animation, with chords hanging over a static rhythm pattern -- the first song on "Take Off" is an example of this, and "Asleep at the Back" is full of them. You can tell he writes a lot of songs by looping things. It creates an interesting mood -- expectant and hypnotic -- but sometimes you start wishing for something messy and cathartic to happen.

Jerry James likes this.
  13. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

bump. Anyone compare US/UK pressings or have feedback on the US pressing specifically. I'm wondering how the general quality is for the US pressing, and where it was pressed (United, Rainbow...) in which case I'll shell out for the UK, or is the US of excellent quality? Thanks!!

14. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I just bought a sealed copy of "Take Off" for 5€. Since I have never heard Elbow I'm wondering if I should open it. Is this a good place to start? If I love Tindersticks could I like Elbow?

15. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I'd say so, I love both. Elbow often get unfairly lumped in with other earnest British guitar bands like Coldplay or Snow Patrol, but they're soooo much more interesting than those other bands.

Guy Garvey's solo album is well worth a listen too.

Neonbeam likes this.
  16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Unlike the other two mentioned Elbow do a cracking job with their vinyl editions.

Neonbeam likes this.
  17. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Elbow have more in common with Peter Gabriel and The Blue Nile than Coldplay, and the like.

Neonbeam likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.