VHS titles that are superior to Blu ray?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Oct 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Cool! I did not know that. Sammy was great! If you ever want to see him in an old fine movie check out Convicts 4!

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

He seen her dance in a club on Sunset Strip ( whiskey, I think).

3. Michael

O' OK, thanks! cool info...

4. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

D-VHS is an underrated format IMO. For those of us who prefer a physical format, it offers up to 21 hours of high digital video on one tape, and backwards compatability with VHS and S-VHS formats. Michael Fremer is apparently a D-VHS fan.

5. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

If you feel it's worth spending the bucks, the Panasonic with it's HDMI output and TBC will most likely do the job better than your Sony, which was really designed for use with a CRT and would probably be great with that.

That said, I have had success using older high quality VCRs for DVD transfer. My 1993 Toshiba V-711B did a fantastic job of copying The Who Rocks America and Paul McCartney's Charlotte concert TV broadcast among others to my 2004 JVC DR-M10 DVD recorder. Playing these discs back on a 42" LED TV looks fine to me.

6. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I never put VHS tapes in my decks, anymore. The quality of VHS tapes is so overwhelmingly low that they made a mess of my heads. They just shed oxides like sheepdogs shed hair, it's everywhere, it's everywhere! S-VHS tapes are a few degrees better. D-VHS playback requires very clean heads or you'll get glitches.

7. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I was always using quality S-VHS tapes to record with.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You'd be wise to digitize any D-VHS tapes you have now, before they're no longer playable. Finding new D-VHS video heads these days is pretty much impossible. Heads don't last forever.

9. alfajim

alfajim Forum Resident

It was the three tube video cameras they were using. I still have my JVC videomovie from 1984, like the one used in "Back to The Future" movie and the color is still as good or better than the CCD cameras especially outside in good light with the white balance done correctly. Love that camera

10. Michael

that's cool...

11. Rachael Bee

I have 4 working decks. I'll play tapes till they all die and then wash my hands of tape forever.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Why wait? The day is gonna come...

13. Rachael Bee

Yeah, maybe I should put the lot in a pile and light it, and burn baby burn! ;)

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Never to late to transfer them to a hard drive -- assuming the contents aren't already available on Blu-ray.

15. Rachael Bee

There aren't that many D-Theater titles that have not gone to the Blu-world yet. Evolution and True Lies might be the only two holdouts left out of my collection of about 65 titles. Actually, I've sold or given away a few of 'em.

I have 4 working players. I'll probably stop working before the lot of 'em does...? ;) I've watched my own homemade D-VHS tapes more than the D-titles in recent years. I think I'll do nothing but watch one occasionally. Anything else seems like W-O-R-K.

16. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Trues Lies is simmering right now.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Speaking of True Lies, Jim Cameron was just asked at a 30th anniversary screening of Terminator as to why The Abyss is not yet out on Blu-ray. He pointed out the president of 20th Century-Fox Home Video in the audience and basically said, "ask him." So Cameron implied that the delay was totally Fox's fault.

hi_watt likes this.
  18. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

No. Period.

19. Gotta love Jimbo putting Fox n the spot.

Vidiot and Deesky like this.
  20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Lotsa debate about that over on the HTF, with a trend toward the belief that Cameron is full of it.

And I would agree. Do you really think that if Cameron wanted "Abyss" out on BD, Fox would say "no" even though a) they know there's considerable consumer demand and b) it'd make their cash cow director happy?

Maybe if you asked the home video exec, he'd say "it's because Cameron is dragging his feet"! :laugh:

21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I would put Cameron's word ahead of a studio executive's any day of the week, especially if it was made in a public forum. I'd also bet that since The Abyss is a gentle and thoughtful film that the geniuses at Fox don't think it'd make a boat-load of lucre, so they're putting it off.

22. Michael

I'm still waiting for an anamorphic True Lies DVD!

23. Michael

I have VHS tapes, but no longer play them...I threw out over a thousand recorded tapes...

24. Michael

video it so we all can watch 'em burn, baby, burn!

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Still gonna disagree. The suits at Fox have to know how much demand there is for the movie.

If the suits wanted to stand up to Cameron, why'd they go along with the Special Edition laserdisc in the first place? Cameron had clout back then but not like he does now.

We'll probably never get the full truth, but I firmly believe that if Cameron wanted "Abyss" out on BD, it'd be out on BD. I think he passed the buck because he didn't want to look like the bad guy in front of fans...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.