Multiple CD players in same set up suddenly skip

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by fluffskul, Oct 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert Thread Starter

Seems to odd to be a coincidence... I've made a few posts about this situation before. So feel free to write hateful things or ignore me. But I've had two players in my setup (see my page) start skipping on nearly every disc. It seems too odd to be a coincidence. What could possibly be happening to make all my players skip? Help me solve this problem and I'll ship you a free LP/CD for your kindness. Its driving me insane. And its keeping me from buying a new player, because I can handle my $400 and my $200 CD player suddenly skipping.. if it happens with an $1000 CD player I may lose it.

2. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

A little more info would be helpful. What brand are the CDP's and how old? Did both start having the issue at the same time or is this something that happened to one and then the other down the road? Does your home have a lot of dust? Do you smoke anything? Do you store each CD in its case after listening or do they sit out? Do you burn wood or coal?

3. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

It is a known fact that RFI can cause a CD player to skip and mistrack, sometimes fail to play. CD players also emit RFI within certain FCC regulations, but just enough to affect nearby electronic components which may be sensitive to RFI.

If one CD player is playing or on pause, it could cause another nearby CD player to skip or mistrack. If you live near high tension wires, or a radio transmitter, I think a CD player would be affected by that too. Just one more minor RFI source may be the tipping point.

More info would be helpful. Do both of your players skip with both playing, or just one playing with the other powered up on STOP, or still when the other unit's power is turned off? (but still plugged in the wall outlet?)

4. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

When I was staying with my Dad, who was an avid radio amateur (HAM) my CD player would go nuts when he started transmitting in the evenings. The antenna was quite close to the house. This was basically an extreme case of RFI.

5. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

My 25 year old Marantz 873 LE for about £200 then. has never missed a beat, still works perfectly.
    My £2k Linn Ikemi has had two new lasers in half that time.
    Do you coat your discs with anything? are they super clean?

6. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

Try putting in a disc, pressing play then skipping through one at a time to the last track, then do the same again in reverse, back to the first track. Do it two or three times. Worked for me - maybe it cleared a spot of dirt on the rails that causes a skip when playing - my player was 18 years old at the time.

BuddhaBob likes this.
  7. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

For this I think it's better to load a long (70+ mins) CD and directly access the last track (assuming it's not a long track, which would defeat the purpose) - then once it begins playing press STOP (twice if the player doesn't return the laser to its 'home' position on one press). You'll hear the laser sled moving across the disc to access the last track and then returning 'home' when you do this.

You can repeat that a couple of times to see if it clears the rails of some gunk.

Of course, if gunk on the rails is the problem then, ideally, they should be cleaned and re-lubricated.

BuddhaBob likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.