MC choices for SL-1200/1210

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mknappe, Oct 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mknappe

mknappe Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Been running an AT150MLX on my SL-1210m5g the past few weeks, it sounds great and for me was a big step up from the Shure M97xe I was using before. This improvement now has me curious to hear about anyone running an MC cartridge setup with this table. Would love to hear your thoughts including cartridge choice, phono preamp and any settings used.

Mike

2. mknappe

Anyone running an MC on their 1200/1210?

3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I have used them in the past on one, and successfully. Even tried a Koetsu Black on one once. Denons and Ortofons excellent on the SL-1200 and SL-1210.

4. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

My favorite is the AT33PTG.

jeff

5. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

If you count HOMC, then yes, I run a DL-160 on my 1200mkII.

Easy setup and surprisingly good sound!

6. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Vintage Shure V15 III with Jico SAS on my SL 1200mk2

jlc76 likes this.
  7. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

oops....just saw that the OP was for MC carts.

8. crestwood23

crestwood23 Forum Resident

Ran a Denon 301mkii on mine with a Rega and then Audiomods arm. Sounded fantastic.

9. mikeburns

mikeburns Forum Resident

I too run a Denon 301mk2 on the stock arm (soon to be upgraded). It is an excellent cartridge for the price. Thoroughly recommended and mates well with the stock 1210 arm. Running through a quad 99 preamp phono stage.

10. DaleH

DaleH Forum Resident

I would live with the AT for a while. That should be one fine cartridge.. I ran a few MC's on the 1200 when I had it with no problems but this can cost a lot if you don't have a SUT or MC preamp already (and may not sound any better).

11. thommo

thommo Senior Member

This. ^

The 150 has a multitude of satisfied owners, especially on the 1200.

motorcitydave likes this.
  12. mknappe

My phono preamp (a Simaudio 310lp) supports both MC and MM. The AT150MLX does sound great, I really should give it some time... that said, it doesn't hurt to dream LOL

Mike

motorcitydave likes this.
  13. DaleH

DaleH Forum Resident

Looks like a really nice preamp. The beauty of the SL 1200 is the ease of changing cartridges. A lot of LOMC's have a rising top end and like a higher mass arm. With a heavy headshell and maybe the KAB damper you should get good performance. The DL103 is fairly neutral and not too expensive.

It's fun to change things up. I have three tables and half a dozen cartridges and they all get some time.

14. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

Tried a Denon DL-160 on my 1210M5G (w/fluid damper) and loved the combination. Now have mostly MM carts, but do run a Denon 301MK2 occasionally and it's just blissful.

Phono preamp is a PS Audio GCPH. Incidentally, I also had an AT150MLX at one time and it is a really, really great cartridge. The Denon MCs is a different flavor than the AT150MLX. Neither is necessarily *better* IME.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.