Screaming Trees release "new" album: Last Words The Final Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by floweringtoilet, Aug 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident Thread Starter

Seattle psychedelic grunge rockers the Screaming Trees have released a "new" album called Last Words: The Final Recordings. As the title implies, these are previously unreleased recordings recorded near the end of the Trees' run in the late 1990s. The band broke up in 2000, but the recordings were made as demos in 1998 and 1999.

Currently the album is only available digitally, but former Trees drummer Barrett Martin's label Sunyata Records is taking pre-orders for the CD which will ship sometime in September.

I reviewed the album on my blog, and also interviewed Barrett Martin about the making of the album. Other topics covered in the interview included such perennial SH Forum favorites such as how bad contemporary music sucks and how awful (shrill/brittle/compressed) most new releases sound these days.

It's not in the interview, but according to Barrett an LP release is possible, but not likely. He's afraid he would lose money on an LP pressing, and is going to wait to see how CD sales go. Bottom line: I would not recommend holding out for an LP release.

Any Screaming Trees fans here? IMO, this release is a must for any Screaming Trees fan.

CHIP72 and AlienRendel like this.
  2. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Yes. I like the Trees. I thought the last 2 Sony albums were great. I saw this on Emusic and didn't know what it was. Thanks for the tip. I will check out some samples.

3. floweringtoilet

If you like the last two Sony albums, I would imagine you'd like this as well. It doesn't have the little production flourishes of Dust, it probably sounds closer to Sweet Oblivion. Even though the songs were originally recorded as demos, sound quality is good, and it works well as an album.

4. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

I've already download a copy of the album but I also pre-ordered my physical copy from Barrett's site last week. Have probably only listened to it in full once so far. Wasn't disappointed but on the other hand, wasn't blown away either. But I would definitely recommend it to any fan of the band.

5. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

I like the material on this album a lot. "Ash Grey Sunday" is an excellent song.

6. FourWalledWorld

I'm hoping that if this one is successful enough, maybe we'll get a release of their unreleased 1994 album. I know they put two tracks on their Ocean of Confusion Best Of (Paperback Bible and Watchpocket Blues) a few years back and I think their Darkness, Darkness cover from the True Lies soundtrack is also from those sessions (not 100% on that) but I'm not sure how many other tracks were completed though. Anyone have any insight on these sessions?

7. floweringtoilet

The problem there is that the "aborted album" recordings are likely owned by Sony, and they probably don't have much interest in releasing them. The Last Words' sessions came after they had been dropped, and they were recorded on Barrett's dime, so he has control of those tapes.

It could happen, of course, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

8. FourWalledWorld

9. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

Found the cd today at my local record store , always been a Trees fan ( saw them live at London Poly late 80 's )
    THIS IS A FANTASTIC RELEASE , amazing collection of songs , top class songwriting and playing , very recommended
    and Barrett Martin is such a nice fellow

10. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Thanks for the tip, I just ordered it. Sounds a bit closer to the psych turns they were using circa Uncle Anesthesia and less polished than what came later which is a good thing in my opinion. Looking forward to it.

11. ghostnotes

ghostnotes Wish you were here.

Finally digging into this one now on Spotify. It really is a great collection.

12. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Bumping this thread as I played this on the weekend after not hearing it for 3 years (and in anticipation of Mark Lanegan's new album tomorrow)
    This is exactly what I thought while listening.
    Stylistically right in the middle of the SST years and the CBS years.

I loved Screaming Trees in the 90's (and still do now)

ralphb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.