USPS Follies

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by mayoski, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident Thread Starter

Some of you may have heard from me about the problems I have had with the USPS delivering LP boxes to my house, and how my best guess is that my mail person hates me, records or both. A prime example showed up today. The box has nasty bends and has two boot prints on it - one of them literally right on top of the Fragile stamp. You guessed it - cover is ruined - but by some miracle record is not broken - does have a moderate warp however. What do think? Am I too picky?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Bends don't bother me, (Unless of course it's a one of a kind for collection/investment purpose), stepping on it won't warp it either, that's something time or heat does, and yes I think your postal employee dislike's you
    Sometimes I think when people mail items with a big "Fragile" "Don't Bend" warnings on the box it's an invitation to do just that :laugh:
    Edit: For Christmas get him a subscription to Playboy

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  3. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

as someone with friends in the shipping and carting industry, I can promise you that paying for low cost options like "Media Mail" and throwing a "Fragile" stamp on the package will guarantee your package is subjected to the maximum amount of mishandling.

4. Contact your postmaster.

I wouldn't necessarily assume that your letter carrier is responsible for the damage. It could be a clerk at your local office or elsewhere.

reb likes this.
  5. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

My experience is a shipper stamping "Fragile" on a pizza box style package is literally begging some a-hole postal drone to wreck the package. Any time I've ever bought albums and laserdiscs online, it's even odds it's going to show up in ravaged condition. Which is why I either stick with a few reliable sources/sellers or practically beg (and often pay extra for) a "new" seller (say, an eBay auction) to really back up the packaging with some solid front and back boards to lessen the chances of a destroyed package showing up on my door step.

Still, I've had some pretty epic fails. Here's one from Jimmy Page - the expensive LP limited numbered edition of the "Lucifer" soundtrack that was shipped from the UK to US in a flattened, crudely taped up box. It's amazing the record was fine and the sleeve wasn't more damaged than it was:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Definitely contact your postmaster!

7. old school

old school Senior Member

I would get the mail carrier a subscription to window E the unemployment line! What he or she is doing is a federal offense.

8. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

It was a joke, but I do actually gift my mailman every Christmas, he works hard, especially during the God-awful Michigan winters delivering music to my door a few days a week :cheers:

goodboyfred and Myke like this.
  9. old school

old school Senior Member

I was born in Detroit I know the winters are tough!

c-eling likes this.
  10. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

good luck with this approach

11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I normally get excellent service from the USPS, but the more locations something passes through the more opportunities for things to get messed up. I'm currently trying to figure out how to get some posters from Chicago to Scotland without them being crushed.

12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Whoever's stepping on them hates you. Definitely. In over 4 years of receiving albums via USPS...a lot of albums, none has ever shown up looking like that.
    Jesus, they hate you.

katstep, GentleSenator, Mr. H and 2 others like this.
  13. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

To the OP--of course you're not too picky. I usually tell the seller I need to receive the item in the condition advertised and ask for insurance--the approach has worked well for me.

Myke likes this.
  14. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I've always had great luck with the postal service. I've had hundreds of albums delivered by them and I've never had a boot print on one. That looks intentional.

starduster, Mr. H, Myke and 1 other person like this.
  15. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

I never use USPS, they've screwd up too many packages or lost them. Maybe depends on your local post office, the people at mine are the dumbest people I've ever met.

Myke likes this.
  16. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident Thread Starter

Obviously you have never met mine. And I swear they move so slowly they must wear lead lined work boots.

17. Myke

And you've never been an a-hole on here, so it's not like you've got it coming. :confused:

18. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

spend $40 and buy a PO Box for a year. They'll hold them for you and it'll cut out that last delivery person.

19. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

myke is right. ask any former USPS employee. stuff like that doesn't happen unless it's intentional. boot prints and bending isn't going to happen in the sorting facility, man.

Myke likes this.
  20. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Join the club. I consider myself lucky if my carrier manages to deliver my mail to the correct address. I filed a hold mail while I went on a business trip a few weeks ago and my mail was delivered anyway. I truly think the guy is brain dead.I have no idea what his beef could be. I have been literally living at the same address for decades and have only had a problem since this jackarse started on the route.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/has-it-shipped.267854/page-36#post-10854379

21. Myke

This won't help, but to prove you're not alone in the Ignorance part of this...every time I get a box from Criterion Collection, I have to jimmy it out of the box, with a crowbar-type implement. It's as if the carrier has no clue that the pigeon hole is wider on his side, than it is on mine !!!! :crazy:

22. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

I would say youre not being picky but very realistic. there is no reason to expect your records to ALWAYS show up bent etc or worse. I just sent you a bunch of boxes, glad to see that the above isnt one of them but the boxes I sent are VERY thick. regardless, I would be pissed......havent had the best luck with usps, or buying records through the mail in general. lots of INSANE overgrading, no refunds, blah blah blah to the tune of hundreds of dollars out and ZERO to show for it.

I will make a mental note to thicken up boxes to you that may need it for the future!!

screw that guy, it should be a punishable crime to purposefully damage mail. why cant we expect someone do do their DAMN JOB CORRECTLY!!!!

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  23. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

If I did that, I would guarantee that I would end up losing a package a month up from the latest trend of one every two months.

24. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Trying to get ahold of someone in authority at the USPS is difficult, then trying to get that person to actually do something is even harder.
    I moved last year and filed change of address forms in the proper timeframe, etc, did everything I'm supposed to do. I received no mail for about 10 days, highly unusual for me. After spending hours on the phone/hold, calling and it would ring 35-40 times, then hang up and call back and it's busy(nobody picked up the phone until it stopped ringing, then took it off the hook!), A carrier admitted that they didn't know where my mail was. Talks with supervisors were usually defiant paeans to the hard working carriers while accepting no blame. Eventually I got my mail, but dealing with the USPS is mostly a huge headache and accomplishes nothing.

Myke likes this.
  25. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Two words for you - mailing tube. Roll them carefully, a layer of bubble wrap around the cylinder, into a tube enough longer that you can stuff a couple of inches of bubble on each end, and Godzilla can't hurt them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.