Jazz Beat (Part 31)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry, Oct 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

See, another vote for that Giuffre.:) I did not at first equate the two gigs and Resonance doesn't really do that either. In reading the liners there's never a mention of the two being from the same event, which makes things more surprising considering the staging differences. I do remember your mention now of the RSD Lloyd but forgot the connection and I did bag the 10" back then based on your experience.

The Slug's is certainly not a fantastic sounding gig but to me it's more enjoyable because it's more balanced, albeit mono in source. I just put it back on and honestly, I can hear every single note that Carter is playing. There's a bit of a recessed sound but nothing to render it annoying at all, it's somewhat easy to put yourself 'there'. Szabo comes across especially well when Lloyd switches to Flute and Percussion and Pete's Ride is a little less prominent whereas it's a bit forward on the Judson gig.

Let'e put it this way, it sounds no worse that this:

[​IMG]

:D
    It's a definite step-up and worth the coin IMO.

Campbell Saddler likes this.
  2. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Fwiw, only the Lloyd is on Resonance. The Giuffre is on a Spanish label called Elemental. It's legit, though.

Btw, Judson Hall is near the old Slugs' neighborhood. I passed it a couple of months ago. It looks like a rehab center or something like that now.

3. AxiomAcoustics

Right! But the responsible parties are the same: Feldman, Klabin etc. The Giuffre release was farmed to Elemental by Feldman because Klabin did not want to release it (!?) and the tapes were "discovered" by Feldman and Klabin while on a tape hunting trip to NYC for Resonance. An odd and convoluted relationship, and both labels have a very similar aesthetic. Factor this with Ax's eyesight and.......:sigh:

JETman likes this.
  4. AxiomAcoustics

Is that called retribution?
    :)

5. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

I wonder why Klabin didn't wanna release the Giuffre. Also, why are these tapes (and the like) now all of a sudden being discovered and released?

6. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Actually, it's called "appropriate product placement" ;)

7. AxiomAcoustics

Agreed, very strange. Feldman simply sez that Klabin "did not want to release it on his label" so Fledman bought the tapes from Klabin, eventhough Klabin did the engineering on the Giuffre. One issue was that these tapes were made gratis by the musicians to be played "one time only" on Klabin's radio show on WKCR.

8. AxiomAcoustics

Methinks both.

9. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

So, apparently Klabin was yet another misguided jazz-lovin' Columbia grad, initially full of hope for changing the world :D :evil:

10. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

That doesn't sound good for headphone listening which is the only way I listen.

11. AxiomAcoustics

Funny, the Judson Hall gigs were monitored on "earphones" because there was no Control Room. Must be what messed things up.:laugh:

Honestly, depends on which one we're talking about. The Giuffre is great and the Slug's should come across great on cans. It's the Lloyd at Judson that's unbalanced. You may find yourself leaning a little left. Although a decent Balance control may help matters.

12. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I have the Giuffre and it sounds great. I was planning on buying the LLoyd, but I really hate the sound coming out of one side on headphones.

13. AxiomAcoustics

Stupid wide-eyed teenagers! I believe he was 19 at the time. Some joined SNCC, some got into "Jazz". :)

Actually, in the Giuffre liners Klabin admits that he did not dig the music so much but had to be a professional.

14. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Thanks again. I guess I will revisit the 10" Slugs gig taster...but I'm not too optimistic, as I remember that even when I played it using a Clearaudio Virtuoso cart - which of all my carts adds the most weight/bloom in the lower bass - it was the same deal. Yes I could hear Carter's bass but there was just no presence or weight to it. I just checked and unfortunately it says Bernie Grundman did the mastering on the 10" taster LP - I say "unfortunately" because I was hoping maybe the new sets had a different updated mastering - that seems unlikely now. Maybe we just have different tolerances for different audio blemishes, I know certain stuff doesn't bother me at all but drives some folks nuts and vice versa.

15. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

I was referring to Schaap, Ashley Kahn, Cliff Preiss and ....................................me :) I was attending when those Monk tributes were recorded (with Monk in attendance) back in 1982. I was wide-eyed, yet too stupid to attend.

16. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Carlos Garnett - Black Love

[​IMG]

17. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I had the same experience with that 10 inch taster of Charles Lloyd. I haven't played it since the day I bought it.
    The label has done some really nice work of which I also own so this isn't a slam on the label as they feel it is an important document to get "out there."

NP Miles Davis Vol.1 (Blue Note) DG Lexington address pressing.

TimArruda likes this.
  18. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

i am a * major * shirley horn fanatic and had the good fortune to see and meet her not too long before her death. she was singing from a wheelchair and was just as exquisite as ever. at one point, she wanted the lights dimmed for a moodier piece and leaned into the mic and said "i am trying to set a mood - can we turn down the clifornia kitchen light?". i had to hug her just for that. unforgettable.

and as for must haves? they're *all* must haves to me....

DrJ likes this.
  19. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

20. dogonad22

dogonad22 New Member

very nice

21. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I don't have enough Shirley Horn in my life! I love her singing and she really accompanies herself very well on the piano, a truly singular artist. I'm glad I got to see her before she passed on.

NP Oliver Nelson - Screamin' The Blues (New Jazz) purple mono, RVG pressing.
    Oliver gettin' down in the dirt for a change. His blues were usually "prettified" but not this album. The entire band is superb including Richard Williams blowing some great trumpet and Eric Dolphy of course keeps everyone wondering what's going to happen next. It's one I recommend to someone who's curious about Dolphy but express concern for his reputation for being edgy or difficult. With the blues there is at least something for many people to feel like they can hang their hat on something with things like a bass clarinet solo from Dolphy slicing through the night. The title track of this album is a real barn burner. Some might think it's vulgar or over the top but I really dig it.

DrJ, J.A.W., Campbell Saddler and 2 others like this.
  22. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Coleman Hawkins - Soul with Kenny Burrell & Ray Bryant (Swingville) silver on red mono pressing.

DrJ, TimArruda and Campbell Saddler like this.
  23. AxiomAcoustics

Weight? You wanted weight? We got no weight.;) I honestly think there's weight to this, both with Carter's Bass and Sims's kick drum, even the whole kit. There's good attack to the guitar as well. Some of this is gain dependent and as far as weight to Carter's Bass it definitely is register dependent. You know what this sounds like to me? A really good Jazz quartet playing in a bar. I can live with that, and I think you'll dig it.

DrJ likes this.
  24. AxiomAcoustics

I told you to go to Bennington........sheesh:uhhuh:

25. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Thanks for detailed reviews on the Lloyd releases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.