New Dr Who Series 8 Directed by Ben Wheatley

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MC Rag, Aug 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I was worried about this episode due to the setting, a train in space, but was very happy to see I was wrong. Easily the first classic episode of Capaldi's tenure.

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, there was still silly science (I wish they would just nix the notion of extracting 'energy' from people's cells, coz there ain't none!) and they've done terrestrial transport in space before (ocean liner), but what made it better than the average fluff was the dialog and the Docta actually using the scientific method to learn about a phenomenon that cannot be seen, except by those affected. Thumbs up there.

But thumbs down for the Docta not being picked as the next victim without the use of a gimmick, as surely the entity that can sense both physical and psychological trauma would have been bombarded by the Docta's tortured mental state.

But, on balance, one of the better eps.

3. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

I'm really liking Capaldi's irascible Doctor persona, it's quite refreshing. His part has been well defined and has been written to make the most of his strengths as an actor; the irony and dark humour that he's so good at. Sadly, some of the stories so far (and I hesitate to use the word "plots") have not been up to the same standard, they have been mainly lightweight and worse, treading water...the ongoing story seems to have been about the companion and whether or not she will continue, leave or be written out, with the supposed "episodes" taking second place to this idea (maybe masking the weakness of the writing for individual episodes?) and making a soap opera out of the thing. Capaldi is very good indeed in the role, I just hope that his role as "benevolent, if ill tempered uncle to Clara" is not to be his raison d'etre.

IronWaffle likes this.
  4. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Great episode, very entertaining.

5. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

More nods to Hartnell (the black neck-tie), more ties-ins with the current 'soldier' thread, (no idea where that's going). A wonderful nod to Eccleston ("Are you my mummy"). All that and jelly-babies too. Yep, another great episode.

6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Anyone else notice the "soap opera effect" on the latest episode? It looks like it's got motion smoother on it or something.

7. Andy Smith

Back in tunnels this week! Anyone else have a flashback to Troughton's 'Yetis' ?

Mylene likes this.
  8. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

That episode will surely have had any kids watching scurrying to hide behind their sofas (or wherever they hide these days). For me that was the best episode for a long time, up there with the very best of them.

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I thought that was a very good episode. It had lots of clever and witty dialog, some great effects and disbelief was easily suspended. And I cannot go without commenting about the subject matter of this episode and my post some two weeks ago about dimensionality and 2D Flatland! Doo-doo-DOO-doo...

zobalob likes this.
  10. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

That's what I was thinking all the way through the ep. I remember when Doctor Who was really scary

11. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I remembered your post while watching the episode last night, pre-Halloween spookiness. Good episode too, the image of the hand pulling the Tardis off the tracks was hilarious.

12. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

That Doctor Who World Tour special was pretty good too. In Asia all the fans are teenage girls and in Australia they're baby boomers. In Rio they're like a death cult

13. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Much less for me to moan about in this episode:) I also thought the choice of location was good.:edthumbs: I did think that both this and the previous episode would have been better if spread out over a longer period, they would have been better suited to the shorter episodes with cliffhangers, I think they often try and cram too much into 45 minutes at the expense of pacing.

IronWaffle likes this.
  14. Andy Smith

15. Andy Smith

Farewell Lynda. You'll be missed.

16. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

To me at least, there doesn't seem to be much 'chemistry' between Clara/ Jenna Coleman and the doctor/ Capaldi. Their relationship and any affection between the two characters seems forced and scripted. I don't believe for a second that the two would want to spend any time at all in each other's presence.

17. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I enjoyed this one as well. It makes more sense to me when they have totally unrealistic monsters then when they try to logically explain them, such as the moon being an egg.

seed_drill likes this.
  18. Vernoona

Vernoona Well-Known Member

well blow me down, I really enjoyed Flatline! and up til now there's nothing from the newer rebooted Who that I've remotely liked. didn't like Eccleston, absolutely loathed Tennant and Matt Smith? please.

Capaldi is great! it's those character lines and the darker personality. to me that's what a 2,000 year old time lord should be like. maybe I just got lucky and the other stories will be naff, but it completely drew me in. well... apart from when the TARDIS gets back to normal size and he comes leaping out brandishing the s screwdriver screaming "..... for I am the DOCTOOOOOOR!". please.

but why do they have to be best mates / lovers? it's a nice change from the previous couple of Doctors / companions smiling, laughing & finishing each others lines because they're so bloody chummy. :D

19. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Don't get me wrong - I did not intend to imply there should be a romantic relationship. Frankly, in this case that would be creepy. [I did find it interesting that the show runners felt it necessary to give Clara a new love interest after the Doctor's rejuvenation, since he was no longer 'her' Doctor.] Not even certain they should be or have to be best mates; although there should be some kind of 'connection' [for lack of a better word to spring to mind at this moment] since the Doctor has chosen her to be his companion and she choses to stay with him. [Although the general sense I and I think others have about this series' direction is that Clara is going to move on with her life and the character will be written out of the show.]

I meant 'chemistry' in the sense of acting - not that their characters have to be best mates or lovers; even characters that are enemies and hate each other can have great chemistry. I do not have the impression that these two actors work particularly well together and [to me] that is reflected in the characters portrayed on screen.

I've not warned up to Capaldi as the Doctor. I have no objections that the show runners have decided his story arc is one about his inner demons and the dark side of the character due to the character's history. I just am not thrilled by Capaldi. I'm coming to the conclusion the role has been miscast.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    Standoffish and Vernoona like this.
  20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

My favorite nuWho was Eccleston. Tennant was simply annoying. Smith, I liked better than Tennant, though he kept trying to do a Tennant way too long, before settling in. As for Capaldi, I can't say I'm warming to him as such, but I appreciate his different take & dynamic to those that came before.

21. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Capaldi should have been a modern William Hartnell type Dr. The writing is what's letting this series down.

22. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Uh, *is* a modern Hartnell-type. For the first few weeks, I thought he was too much alike to the irascible first Doctor.

As, things have settled in, though, I've quite taken to him. Par for the course, as I felt exactly the same way about Tennant, and Smith. Both for the same reason - I didn't want the previous Doctor to go.

Smith was helped immeasurably by an absolute pip of a debut story.

keef00 likes this.
  23. Vernoona

I agree. I've watched a few more now... and even Pertwee or T Baker couldn't save the silliness of Robot Of Sherwood.

but Capaldi was brilliant in Flatline. providing the writers keep this level of consistency, good things ahead for Doctor #12.

24. Vernoona

speaking of the Sherwood episode; did anyone catch the brief cameo when the Doctor shows Robin Hood the database?

:D

[​IMG]

25. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I think the 'lack of chemistry' between Clara and the Doctor is just a case of good acting. In the Doctor Who World Tour doco they seemed to get on really well.

chacha likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.