2014: No Platinum Albums (yet)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nbakid2000, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge Thread Starter

Shocked this didn't make headlines here. No album released in 2014 has hit platinum yet.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/oct/20/platinum-album-sales-2014-expected-us-frozen

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/229695/2014-is-first-year-ever-with-zero-platinum-certified-records/

2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Is this sentence bolded below from the article correct? Only 344 albums went platinum...no way.

The RIAA began certifying American platinum records in 1976; the Eagles’ Greatest Hits 1971 - 1975 was the first to be certified. Since then, 344 more albums have received the designation. Whereas the United States awards platinum certificates for album sales over 1m copies, the UK’s platinum sales certificate is awarded for album sales of just 300,000.

3. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

That statement isn't accurate... At least 100 albums have been certified 10x platinum so the number must be higher.

4. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

Streaming is destroying music sales :(

Spotify, Youtube and other streaming services will soon account for a majority of the industry.

As for Albums, Frozens soundtrack album has sold upwards of 3M in the states and Beyonces latest release has already sold over 2M aswell. Besides those two no other albums did too well. Cold Plays Ghost Stories has sold well Globally :)

5. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Where is that illegal downloading thread right about now.

6. That's because Kanye and Sir Paul's "Piss On My Grave" hasn't been released yet. :tiphat:

7. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I've only heard about 18 albums from 2014 so far... but out of those, the first one I might expect to even have a chance of going platinum would probably be Ray Lamontagne's Supernova. It's a great album. Unfortunately, my opinion rarely matches that of the general public, so the album likely won't hit platinum status. :rolleyes:

8. italianprog

italianprog Forum Resident

9. MaximilianRG

MaximilianRG Forum Resident

I've had this idea for a while that they might end up changing the scale, and we might end up having garbage albums standing shoulder to shoulder with the greats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.