Last network show finally switches to high definition

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I also live in a stucco home and deal with issues trying to get a clean signal from an indoor antenna. The best solution was to get an amplified antenna and place it against a window. That does the trick, but some channels are still not perfect.

The best option, simply put, is to install a roof antenna if you want to watch "free" TV.

Vidiot, chilinvilin and EdgardV like this.
  2. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

How about the obligatory, who the hell tunes in to CBS ever, for anything? comment. Plus, I thought that show died in the 70s.

3. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

Yeah, they're so ugly I've wondered if one could install the roof antenna inside the attic, with virtually the same results. The antenna would be up above the stucco and metal lath, and I would expect that the roofing materials, (wood, perhaps rubber ice and water shield, or tar paper, asphalt shingles, nails), would not pose a problem. Any idea?

4. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

That could possibly work, but I would think an amplified indoor antenna (assuming you already have one) installed in the attic would be the first line of action before attempting it with a roof antenna. Also, try the indoor antenna in a few different windows, if you have the option. That might be all you need.

EdgardV likes this.
  5. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

A bit off the subject but are there any good TVs in surround sound.... I don't think the late night talk shows broadcast in surround sound, which is a shame, it really adds a lot to the show, makes you feel like you are right in the middle of it.....

6. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Almost All if them are 5.1.

7. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Wow, TV here didn't even start widescreen broadcasting until 2007! And I think HD a year later.

8. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

No, it is in HD for sure.

The issue I see though, Judge Judy all of her time on camera when they show her face, the image is a bit uh soft focused. The rest of the show looks fairly clean and good.
    Every close up of her, Bammmm.....fuzzy and out of focus.

Vanity!!

EdgardV likes this.
  9. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

They need to use that technique on those commercials with Tommy Lee Jones!

Harry

kevintomb likes this.
  10. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

If I recall correctly "The McLaughlin Group" recently switched to Hi-Def. "Issue One! Change cameras!"

11. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

God yes I don't know how anyone in the US watches broadcast TV with the advert breaks every 5 minutes. Destroys the flow of even the best shows. Even if I had got them on a PVR I find the breaks every 10-15 mins here in the UK intensely annoying.

Thank goodness for Amazon prime and Netflix.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Trust me, they gotta do that nowadays. Diffusion, soft lights, tons of make up, and a little surgery. The last trick is a "defocus" pass pulling a key on the fleshtones; more sophisticated plug-ins do a whole "beauty" look smoothing the entire face and making the skin totally consistent-looking, but those are not real-time and can't be done with live pictures (yet).

HD has brought with it a world of problems because skin and age issues that used to not be too visible are now plainly visible. Smart DPs know how to selectively soften the issue when necessary to make the actors look their best. I notice certain shows where the sets look cheap and crappy, and that's another thing that's hard to hide with very sharp cameras.

13. junk

junk Hellion

I can certainly see why they do that with Judge Judy. :hurl:

14. junk

junk Hellion

That's certainly what I've noticed with HD. Especially live close ups. Some of those people I really didn't want to know that well...

15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

The review of The Birds says the HD brings the bad special effects up so much now, it distracts you from the great film that it is. I fully understand that, since getting my new Samsung that shows every pock mark, and flaw in a person's face.

junk likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yep, that's another problem: the special effects look "less special" in HD if they're badly done.

Myke likes this.
  17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The answer is not really. There just isn't enough volume in today's TVs (with the fetish to make them thinner and thinner) to produce decent sound, seven stereo. If you want petty decent sound, the easiest option would be to get a soundbar or if you have a sound system with a receiver, hook it up to that.

I've also seen some TVs that incorporate cabling and moderately good speakers into the base of the stand which is bulkier than normal, to provide some space for air to resonate and to be reflected off the back wall.

18. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I bet those shows still make CBS tons of money, must be so cheap to produce. You don't get much more old-school these days when it comes to network game shows. Such throwbacks.

dan c

19. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

That doesn't make sense to me. The blu-ray doesn't look clearer than a well-projected print in good condition when the film originally ran in theaters. So the effects will look the same as they always did. I don't buy it.

20. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

NBC Universal's syndicated talkshows produced in Stamford CT are finally true HD this season..."Maury" "Jerry Springer" and "Steve Wilkos", though they have been in 16 x 9 for a couple of years...

21. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Finally, we can find out who the real father is... in HD!

[​IMG]

OldSoul and goodiesguy like this.
  22. Myke

I am so proud I only know these references due to sitting in physician's waiting rooms, and not because I sought them out in my own home. :laugh:

OldSoul likes this.
  23. Myke

Who remembers that kind of thing for 51 years though ?

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Talking about network shows -- not feature films. No theaters for TV shows. TV shows also suffer from low budgets and when you see their visual effects in HD, often all the seams tend to be painfully visible, especially on a decent screen.

25. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Right, I've noticed this while watching The Twilight Zone on blu-ray, which was never meant to be seen in such high quality.

But the post you were quoting referenced The Birds, a theatrical film, hence my reply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.