Tears for Fears-Songs from the Big Chair-Nov.4 Boxset

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by peterzac, Sep 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

There are many remasters (most notably The Beatles and Pink Floyd) that are not senselessly compressed. "Market Forces"? I doubt that anybody would buy this set just because it's loud...it's never been proved that louder mastering increases sales and in this case, many already have the album so at least make it sound as good as the 2006 deluxe edition, will ya?
    And the live versions.... (the In My Mind's Eye version is the one that landed as the second part on SFTBC).

2. JulesRules

Look: I already have the 2006 deluxe edition. Of course they have to include all the tracks again - otherwise it wouldn't be comprehensive. But I've counted fourteen tracks on CDs 2 & 3 that are 'new' to me, and the complete fourth disc!
    You also never replied about my comment regarding the new Steven Wilson mixes of the album.
    The BBC footage as well as some of the promo videos have never been on DVD. The extended mixes are rare, yes they can be bland at times (Talk Talk - Asides Besides) but you could at least acknowledge that many fans want these on CD, and if you ignore the MFSL they have not been released on any CD.
    If you buy bootleg concerts, the artist receives no money. I can understand the interest (who isn't interested?) but I'd rather get a hold of anything official before going into bootlegs.
    Look back at all the comments on older threads regarding TFF or the threads on SDE and you'll see that many have been waiting for a comprehensive release like this.
    The reason why I responded to your first comment was because it struck me as non-constructive, unfairly dismissive and quite offensive tbh towards Paul, Roland & Curt, Steven Wilson and all the others that helped to compile this set. It's at 43€ atm, that's not a bad price for six discs! (erm...Pink Floyd, anyone?).
    There's a market for these deluxe and super deluxe editions. If you don't like the general idea of them, fine. But at least try to understand why many people in this thread are excited about this one in particular, and about the prospect of The Seeds of Love getting the Wilson treatment. OK?
    (and, for god's sake, please stop saying it's desperate: this box had the input of FANS unlike earlier releases which were incomplete in many ways.)

3. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

The Wikipedia article states that the radio version is 3:51, but on the box set the radio version is 4:20, so it can't be the same thing. Hmmm. :confused:

4. JulesRules

No that's a radio edit, not the radio version. It's getting more and more confusing. Donyo lists a Mexican Radio Edit that is 3:25 long. The TFF discog is littered with anomalies!

5. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Yes, but both the "radio edit" on Wikipedia and the "radio version" in the box set are the version without the flange effects on the drums. I guess the 3:51 version is probably just a trimmed down version of the 4:20 version, but were both of these actually released somewhere? Probably just on promos.

And yes, there are some weird TFF anomalies out there...

6. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

(as Mad World is playing on my co-workers Pandora...)

7. JulesRules

Seconded on all points.

8. JulesRules

Jesus that second waveform looks awful!

9. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

It sounds great!

10. JulesRules

So once and for all, let's sort this out.
    Every DVD and BD computer drive can read DVD-A because DVD-A is a variation of DVD. The problem is the software: There isn't much software that can play DVD-A. (And hardware DVD-V players can't read the AUDIO_TS folder, only the VIDEO_TS.) I know that CyberLink PowerDVD, for instance, have dropped DVD-A support long ago. VLC Media Player is supposed to play DVD-A but I don't know how that works, I think it's always accessed the DVD-V content on my computer. I haven't tried opening the files from the AUDIO_TS folder yet, though.
    The one solution that definitely works is foobar2000 with the dvda plugin. Only "problem" is that you don't have any menus/animations/backgrounds.

rcb30 likes this.
  11. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

Care to explain what's so awful about this waveform?

12. JulesRules

All the peaks at the same volume!

13. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Amazon.com now says "Sign up to be notified when this item becomes available". The page states DVD-Audio and Blu-Ray Audio. Someone probably asked them to clarify that point, and they are now looking into it. It is, of course, a Blu-Ray disc.

positively4th and JulesRules like this.
  14. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Not all compression is bad...sorry folks.

In the case of Notorious...you have an album that never sounded great, but the original CD is horribly thin. The remaster at least brings some low end into the picture and isn't distorted.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  15. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

I really appreciate your taking the time for that post, JulesRules. The hardware/software distinction is very helpful and news to me. This also has VLC Media Player (although I've rarely used it) and I'll look into the foobar2000 solution as I don't care much about the presentation niceties. So maybe it'll work out just fine one way or another after all. Thanks again -

JulesRules likes this.
  16. JulesRules

Well, at least a couple of people also commented on SDE that they didn't like Andy Walter's remasters. I was merely judging from the waveform you posted, since I don't have any of those albums - but any mastering engineer who thinks that compressing the audio and then lowering the volume (!) will improve the sound is suspicious to me. Enough of that, I'm not going to moan about the remastering until I've actually heard it.
    You're welcome rcb30. I was searching on info about this for my own use when I had ordered my Rush Sector 2 box, which included the first DVD-A I ever had . There's surprisingly less information about this (DVD-A playback) and many people post confusing things on various forums, so I thought I'd just post the info here for all those who were wondering. :)

17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Just to clarify, my original vinyl of Notorious sounds wonderful. I do agree that the remaster cd > original cd however.

18. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Well it has been 27 years give or take since I've heard the vinyl, but I think it was an early all digital recording.

19. chuck rodgers

chuck rodgers Forum Resident

Always like Tears for Fears, creative sound. This will be on my must have list. Thanks chuck

JulesRules likes this.
  20. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

I apologise for outright doubting you earlier. I think that he recorded that vocal as a guide vocal and left it in the final version.

In fact they do say in The Seeds Of Love book that for that album they often did multiple takes and edited together the best parts of each take. I reckon he put down a guide vocal and guide synths of a vocal melody he was thinking of in his head and built the song around that. I do this a lot in my home recording. It's not necessarily the case that they were going to use the When In Love With A Blind Man music originally (since none of it features in the piano demo), but the final Working Hour music came out of it. Perhaps.

JulesRules likes this.
  21. JulesRules

Definitely mixed and mastered analog (check out Paul's post on the Wilson remix).

22. JulesRules

Or maybe they wanted to use both tracks on the album and figured that it would be better to combine them because When in Love... didn't seem strong enough? Speculating...

onionmaster likes this.
  23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Ha! Funnily enough, Notorious and SFTBC are two of very few releases in the mid 80s that I bought on three formats (LP, CD, Cassette).

And with that I was able to bring the discussion back OT too.....

24. cakeordeath

cakeordeath Forum Resident

I just ordered the deluxe edition from Amazon UK for $56.

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  25. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Same here :righton:

cakeordeath likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.