King Crimson - "Starless - Live in Europe" box set confirmed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DesertChaos, May 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Kelman

John Kelman Writer/Photographer, AAJ Senior Contributor

It'so an audience boot, which is why it isn't on CD...but it' said hot performance.

2. John Kelman

Not on the Night Watch version. On they Starless and Boble Black version yes, but not the Concertgebouw, afaik.

3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

On the version of "Fracture" featured on The Night Watch, there are overdubs. For instance, check 4:10 to 4:35, and you will hear two guitars, exactly like the version on Starless and Bible Black. I guess they were impossible to remove, in fact, the booklet information confirms it, but maybe some other tapes were found for this nex mix, I don't know.

4. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Got a great pre-order price at amazon.ca, but they still aren't giving me an estimated delivery
    so it may be 15-20 days before I get it.

I guess buying from DGM/BurningShed does have its priveleges

Haven't heard the MP3 version, but have long had this show on CD and it's a definate favorite.
    Although an audience recording, it has an immediate quality to it that a SBD cannot have.
    (Very few will agree with me here, but I prefer this!).

Sounds like 1973 KC in a small club on a wooden stage.

5. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Since buying from Inner Knot or Burning Shed is considered as buying directly from the band (since Fripp and Panegyric have designated them as their representatives), such sales are not tied to the inane rules set forth by distributors. Since Amazon receives these from designated distributors, they will receive these later (with designated release dates) than the aforementioned representatives. This is not rocket science, especially when common sense should be "all the rage".

6. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

So amazon.ca is still listing a 10/28 release date, while amazon.us says 11/4. I'll be impressed if amazon.ca comes through--I honestly haven't used them much before this--but I'm not getting my hopes up too high.

7. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Why would they not come through? I have never had an issue with them. The date may change but you will get a copy.

8. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Oh I'm sure I'll get it, but if it arrives next week I'll be really pleased, particularly at their nice price. I'd heard that the US date was bumped by a week, so I wasn't sure if the same was true for Canada.

9. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

The price is great, I can wait a week or three if necessary. :)

trumpetplayer likes this.
  10. John Kelman

Well, if they are remixing from the, multi tracks I would assume so. Unless the guitar overdub and original guitar track were bounced onto the same track...which mmakes no sense. I'll try to check in the morning...thanks for clarifying...

11. djbarry

djbarry Master of time, space and dimension.

Rakuten.com (the former Buy.com) is offering this for 182.64 shipped, but if you apply for their credit card and are approved, you will receive a 50 dollar credit that you can apply to the purchase, reducing it to 132.64.

12. MOB_HRV

MOB_HRV Forum Resident

I confirm that even on the new Steven Wilson remix of the Amsterdam concert from the multi-tracks, the guitar overdubs are still present on "Fracture".
    Strange, isn't it?...

13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I still can't understand why they can't "get rid" of that guitar track when they're working with multitrack tapes. It's curious because we're talking about a guitar line that was an addition to the original performance. Maybe some bouncing was done and the overdub shares the same track with another instrument? I think it's not probable.

14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The Night Watch liner notes mention some of the live tracks were erased when they prepared the SaBB album.

15. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Yes, I'm aware of that, but my question has always been: what did they erase? If you listen to a performance of "Fracture" without the overdubs and compare it to the one on "The Night Watch" (or SaBB), the instrumentation is the same, except for the ADDITION of electric guitar. So what did they erase? Mellotron static? :D It's not a big deal, but it boggles my mind.

16. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Musicians couldn't possibly predict the CD/reissue boom that was to come, so Fripp probably figured there wasn't a reason to keep the original live tracks.

I can only suggest you send Sid Smith a message here (he's a member) or through the guestbook on the DGM Live site.

17. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Of course Fripp couldn't even imagine a box set dedicated to those shows back in 1973, and I'm not complaining about it. It just intrigues me.

18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

They could have erased some of the original guitar, violin, anything. Without an audience tape or raw soundboard mix of the original show we can't know.

19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Disc 19 of the box ("Preparatory mix for radio broadcast by George Chkiantz, 1974, from the original multitrack recordings") does not include "Fracture", so the mystery will continue.

20. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

The original bass solo was erased. Some of the multitracks are lost: Trio and Mincer for example. It might well be that they either didn't do copies when overdubbing, or that the original work tapes got lost sometime after the recording was completed.

21. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Have you used Rakuten? Their reviews aren't too good.

22. djbarry

djbarry Master of time, space and dimension.

I used them about a year ago and everything went just as it should have. I pulled the trigger on this deal yesterday. It's a drop dead price as far as I'm concerned.

simon-wagstaff likes this.
  23. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

In case anyone's interested, Blowitoutahere.com is having a 15% off sale until 11/26. This box comes to 148.67 minus the coupon (Code is HALLOWEEN or HALLOWEEN2014), plus shipping.

asdf35 likes this.
  24. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

Can anyone with the box tell us if the Udine audience recording is at all improved from the DGM Live download? I remember the Guts bonus track on the S&BB 40th CD/DVD-A set sounding much-better than the download and was hoping the rest of the concert would follow suit on this set.

25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

And how does "The Mincer" sound with the added ambience from a bottleg recording?

whiskeyvengeance likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.