Ear plugs for concerts: Etymotic ETY Plugs ER20 or Alpine Music Safe Earplugs ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tuttle, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

I have had several pairs of Etymotics since sometime in the 1990s -- I keep a pair in each electric guitar case so I'm prepared. They have held up fine, I used them recently at a Maceo Parker concert and they worked as well as ever. I really like them over foam or wax plugs, because they don't kill all the highs. It's more like you've just turned the volume down.

2. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

A childhood friend of mine invited me to see Suicidal Tendencies a few months back. I haven't been to a loud small venue show in years so I wanted some protection. I picked up a pack of foam ear plugs from Home Depot that worked fine but, like you've mentioned, they killed the highs. I figured better that than my hearing, right? Where's the best place to pick up the plugs that you've mentioned?

3. uzi

uzi Well-Known Member

I've been using the ER-20s for years and hundreds of shows (especially when I did music photography), and I've been very happy with them for the price. If anything, they block a little too much of the treble, but I still enjoyed many a show with them and pretty much never went home with ringing ears. That said, there was a deal with UE at a recent Head-Fi meet up and I put in an order for custom earplugs (but they're not here yet).

Another interesting-looking earplug product is the V-Moda Faders VIP. I don't know much about them other than that they exist.

4. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

The V-Modas only claim -12dB. I prefer more isolation.

5. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I'm going to a Drive by Truckers show on August 21st and doubt I'll have decided a pair by then. My biggest worry is that it's going to irritate the **** out of me having something in my ears. I don't even like headphones or I-pod plugs. I get taking care of one's hearing, it's just weird that 95% the people don't even think about this issue. Luckily, I've only been going to a one show every 2-3 months so it's not that bad as far a damage done but I still want to protect it at some point.

As far as ringing, I don't really recall ringing after many shows. I have had occasional ringing happen during just a regular day but this is quite rare and could be related to a number of things.

6. Splorfus

Splorfus New Member

I like my Etymotics, but like someone else mentioned, I often find myself pulling them slightly out of my ear to keep things from getting muffled. When I do this it sounds more or less like I've turned down the volume rather than altering the sound. They're comfortable enough in this half in, half out position that I forget I'm wearing them before long.

I go to a lot of punk and garage rock shows and would often have my ears ring for a day or two afterwards. Luckily, I smartened up and haven't had that issue since I started using the Etymotics.

7. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

Might want to double check your dates. The upcoming DBT shows in Athens are on the 23rd and 24th...there is no show on the 21st, unless there is some private gig somewhere.

8. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Sorry, typo...the 24th.

9. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

I just wanted to post my experience. I am 52 and have been to many concerts starting when I saw Kiss when I was 17. After the shows, my ears always rang for 24 to 48 hours, and I had a lot of ear pressure too. For this reason, I hadn’t been to a concert for about 10 years. Well, I really wanted to go north of Detroit with my friends to see Sammy Hagar, so I investigated earplugs. After reading a couple of threads on our forum, I decided to try the Alpine Music Safe Pro earplugs.

These earplugs were great. I used the insert with highest defeat and heard the show fine. It was just at a lower volume. I had no ringing in my ears and no excessive pressure. The plugs come with a small tube to help you insert the plugs. You need to use this, or they won’t insert right. One other thing, these earplugs are very small, so they don’t stick out.

Oh!! Sammy was excellent. It is his 40 years of rock tour so he plays stuff from all parts of his career. Also, Michael Anthony plays during the Van Halen songs. I highly recommend the show.

10. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Apart from the standard give away foam plugs, I've only used the Etymonics. I found a way to use them that seems to work- i gently thread them into my ear canal until they won't fall out but aren't 'screwed' all the way in; you can thread in and out gently to adjust the degree of attenuation. I'm not sure that's how they were intended to be used, but it works for me; i keep them in the little rubbery case, and just try to make sure to remember to bring them when I go out to hear a band.

11. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

I have used these earplugs at concerts and give my opinions below. I've noted how much I paid for them.

Etymotic Research ER20 ETY-Plugs (cost $12)
    Alpine MusicSafe Pro (cost $29)
    Earasers Musicians Plugs (cost $39)
    Mack's Hear Plugs, High Fidelity Ear Plugs (cost $15)

Sound quality: My least favorite are the Alpines. The Alpines muffle the sound, whereas the others are more like someone turning down the volume. The Earasers seem to let more lower frequencies through, which can make the concert sound boomy.

Noise reduction: The Earasers seem to reduce the volume less than the others. The Alpines come with three sets of filters, so you can choose low, medium and high levels of reduction.

Comfort: I have been fine with how each of these fit. If forced to choose, I'd pick the Earasers as most comfortable for me, followed by the Mack's.

Looks: The Etymotics stick out of the ears the most. The Earasers and Mack's are the least noticeable.

Other info: I like the Etymotics' carrying case best (the trapezoid shaped case). If you use the Alpines, be careful swapping filters at a concert: they are so tiny, you might drop them and not be able to find them on the floor.

Overall, The Etymotics and Mack's are about interchangeable for me, and what I primarily use. I'll also take the Earasers along to a show, because if the concert is not so loud, I may want a lower level of noise reduction, although using them might make the sound boomy. I do not use the Alpines because I don't like how they make things sound.

Bill Hart likes this.
  12. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I have Etymotic musicians' earplugs, and had custom molds (for my ears) made at an audiologist. They work great.

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Gorts have ears? I thought you were all roboty and such...

14. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Our ears are digital, 16/44.1. Cannot hear a dang thang above about 22 kHz, unlike regular humans.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  15. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

That sucks, I finally bought some - the Alpine for $18. Oh well, maybe I can send them back.

I haven't brought myself to wear them yet at the 3 shows I've been too since ordering. My ears didn't ring after any of these shows either. Isn't the ringing what we are concerned about?

Sometimes my ear ring occasionally in my office (not after a show). Maybe this is from other environmental factors like my VitaMix I used to blend my morning smoothie - damn thing works with force!

16. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Update on my above post. I had said the Etymotics and Macks were about interchangeable for me. I took both pairs to some concerts recently, to compare them against each other. I like the Etymotics better than the Macks.

17. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

18. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I bought a pair of Macks. I can tell just by looking that they're too big for my ears.

19. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

When i forget my earplugs I get toilet paper
    Thread out a small patch and put it just far enough in my ears

Works great

I can still hear to 14k in my early 50s and plenty of shows

I use earasers and in the early 2000s there was a great plug Sonic IIs
    Metal opening in middle, cut out all the distortion and left the highs in

20. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

A guy I knew in the 80s used toilet paper. He was the only person I knew who used any type of hearing protection back then.

21. roscoeiii

roscoeiii Forum Resident

Another very happy Sensaphonics customer here. I have their custom earplugs, which were a revelation. And got custom silicon shells for my Shure 846 IEMs that have greatly improved their sound and isolation (which means I can listen at lower volumes).

22. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Bump. I see some new ear plugs on the market since this thread was last active.

Has anyone tried Eargasm or DUBS, and compared them with other ear plugs mentioned in this thread?

I previously posted comments on four ear plugs I have: Etymotic Research ER20, Alpine MusicSafe Pro, Earasers, and Mack's Hear Plugs. As an update, I've been almost exclusively using my Earasers for the past couple years. I like how they sound, and they're hardly noticeable.

23. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I have been using DUBS for some time. I also have Etymotics. I think the DUBS are more accurate, but they do not attenuate quite as much, so I carry both just in case. Some have complained about the one-size-fits-all nature of the DUBS. I haven't had a problem with the fit, but I could imagine that some might find them less than ideal. With the variety of tips and sizes, everyone should be able to get the new Etymotics to fit.

24. BCJaysfan

BCJaysfan Forum Resident

I use Comply Foam Plugs (also use their P series tips on my Etymotic headphones). Much more comfortable than the Etymotic ER20s, although I wish they offered a more discreet color option. That said the ER20's are worth it just for the case alone.

Both cut too much for my tastes, so I usually don't have them fully inserted (unless it's really loud or I'm near a speaker stack).

Edit: The Dubs look interesting, think I'll have to try a pair of those

25. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I thought the same thing about he ER20s and I thought is this what people want to hear at a concert? I'd rather not go.

I do want to protect my hearing so I went to an ENT and had my tests done and the results were great but I still decided to get a pair of custom ear plugs (I forget the name/model).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.