regrets....I've had a few.....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Former Scientist, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Former Scientist

Former Scientist Now on wheels.... Thread Starter

In 1983, I sold my translucent pink French copy of DSOTM for five pounds to a dealer who seemed to be paying well over the odds...and I wanted to buy other stuff, was a bit tired of the Floyd, so why not?

I bought some groceries with the £5, thought nothing of it....

Now I wake up in the middle of the night bitterly regretting that stupid decision. I also regret giving away my collection of Marillion rarities one drunken night to a mate who showed a passing interest in their ouvre....and I lent, lent Fad Gadgets first album to a woman at work who 'forgot' to return it, and moved eventually across the country. One day, Claire, I will track you down!!!!

Anyone else bitterly regret lending/selling/not buying some prime piece of vinyl/CD ???

2. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

I've gone through about 3 major culls in my time of collecting and I regret them all. I got rid of hundreds of things, some quite rare. I've spent the past 20 years rebuying many of them.

3. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I usually don't lend anything to anyone I don't trust implicitly, which means that I don't lend to more than a handful of people in the entire world, but I did have one lapse of judgment when I was about 20 and in college. a "friend" of mine asked to borrow my original pressing of Metallica's Kill 'Em All - it was absolutely immaculate. Within 3 days of borrowing this record, the guy dropped out of school and I never saw him or my record again.

Former Scientist likes this.
  4. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Yep. Sold my yellow vinyl Goodbye Yellow Brick Road to a friend because he was a bigger fan than me. I think he sold it. :(

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  5. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

I regret passing on a new copy of American Music Club's Everclear on vinyl in the 90's. Ended up getting it on iTunes many years later.

David Johnson likes this.
  6. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Tangentially I regret the ultra-nebulous thread title, which could be about just about anything, including a wide array of topics ranging from Frank Sinatra to Paul Anka to Sid Vicious. Fortunately, it's a cool subject so I don't mind being lured in through a fog bank.

But on topic I do regret storing my vinyl collection in the basement of the swamps-of-Jersey-City brownstone I lived in during the early 90's. A torrential N0r'easter flooded the dank creepy old pit and ruined many a beloved old LP. I've since replaced almost everything, but not all of it. O my lost promo copy of Paul's Boutique!

Ash76 and lightbulb like this.
  7. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Sold my Beatles Mobile Fidelity Box Set, Sold my Beatles Blue Box #1818 with every record still sealed. Sold my Sgt Pepper UHQR. Sold a sealed Mobile Fidelity Abbey Road.
    All sold about 15 years ago thinking I won't ever play vinyl again.
    And guess what? I'm taking delivery of a Project turntable today.
    Also sold my George Harrison signed Live In Japan Book.
    Oh the pain!

Ash76, c-eling and goodboyfred like this.
  8. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

But then again, too few to mention.

JPagan likes this.
  9. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

Boy you got rid of some classic stuff. I have the Genesis Publication Live In Japan box set. Every once in a while I'll check EBAY to see what they're going for.

10. Former Scientist

Apologies. My first thread!

Not sure I could recover from a flood...I'd just have to take up golf or something...

Stone Turntable likes this.
  11. Former Scientist

I know that feeling. I think they call it murderousness....!

12. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

not sure what to call it but the fact remains that closing in on 2 decades later and it still pisses me off viscerally

Ash76 and Former Scientist like this.
  13. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

No regrets! We sometimes find ourselves in situations where we have to adjust our lifestyle. For me, it was purely for space concerns. I had to thin out the herd a bit. I am sure there were a few things I missed afterwards , but if they were that important I could always re-buy it somewhere.

On the positive side of that issue, I actually replaced some records with better condition copies than the ones that I had and at cheaper prices to boot.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  14. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Have a little compassion. You're killing me.

15. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I regret selling my huge vinyl collection in the 80s before joining the Air Force. It included Capitol Beatles and everything was in great condition. I should have found somewhere to store it.

16. CupOfDreams

CupOfDreams Forum Resident

I regret getting rid of most of my albums when I was converting to CDs. I got next to nothing forfor them. Many were rare punk vinyl and also original HTF sixties issues. I kept around 150 or so. I eventually culled my CD collection to about 2000 for space reasons.

17. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

At least you had a good reason. I know some people who dumped good vinyl collections in order to replace with CD's. What a mistake that was.

18. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

About 12 years ago when we were about to retire and move to a much smaller home, I sold about 700 of my lp's - ones I didn't think I'd listen to again. I loaded them up into boxes and into the station wagon and drove south to the East Side of Providence, RI, to a friend's record shop. I wish - deeply regret - that I didn't make a U-turn. I've spent much of the past 12 years trying to replace many of them. It was a dumb ass decision on my part!

noyoucmon likes this.
  19. badsneakers

badsneakers Well-Known Member

Yup. I had several vinyl culls over the 80's but have thankfully bought most of it back over the last 20 years. Some things I regret more than others, such as my near mint copy of PIL Metal Box, bought the week of release. It's been fun buying back some of the vinyl from record fares and second-hand shops, and now have a much bigger collection than I had prior to these culls. I am grateful to have enough music to enjoy, but like other collectors, there is always room for a few more!

20. If i had known then what I know now I would have taken better care of all my original vinly lps and singles

HominyRhodes likes this.
  21. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i wish i could have about 200 records back that i sold.biggest mistake......back in tnhe 70's held the peelable TVU and nico in my hand at a local record shop.put it back thinking i would get it next time....well i guess you know how that turned out.

22. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

I sold my first pressing copy of Nick Drake's "Five Leaves Left" -admittedly in the late 1970s - for £4 :(

My biggest regret over NOT buying something was seeing a blue-writing Led Zep first LP at a record fair for £12, and deciding not to, as I already had an orange one ...

23. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Well, I suppose I could say this about many things, had a cool Mustang in the 70s, should have bought a Shelby, lost out on the real estate boom, left all my high school records in 1979 at my moms when I went to school and eventually they disappeared. Know I had some Small Faces, Blue Cheer, and others I would like back but I probably didn't take good care of them anyway. All in all though I feel pretty damn blessed to have the music I have and to have enjoyed the journey discovering new music and enjoying old favorites. Can't complain much.

ShawnX likes this.
  24. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Selling my 90s vinyl here on the forum a few years ago....thought i was out of vinyl for good...what a regret now

Beck-MFSL Sea Change 2 copies, modern guilt
    RATM - orig Epic RL cut
    Primus seas of cheese orig German lp,
    SP Gish orig
    FNM Angel Dust orig, king for day, real thing , introduce yourself
    bowie lps
    J Cash original American
    GNR appetite
    u2 zooropa
    Pearl Jam yield orig, vitalogy orig
    And on and on...open mouth insert gun

25. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

- converted a bunch of original master tapes to mp3 and threw out the tapes back in the late 90s.

+ they were really just crappy cassettes of my crummy high-school-era rock band, so I'm sure you'll all get over it.

OldSoul likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.