Headphone recommendations please!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by weapon-x, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weapon-x

weapon-x Member Thread Starter

Hi all,

I'm thinking about buying my first pair of, let's say, middle-ground headphones -- something in the $200-$300 range.

I'd prefer over the ear, and if possible, something cool-looking. Any recommendations? I don't really know much about good headphone brands/models. I'd primarily be using them for vinyl. (And I'd be willing to sacrifice good looks for quality.)

Thanks,
    Dan

2. cjc

cjc Senior Member

HiFiman HE-400 or AKG 612 are excellent choices. I have both and listen to vinyl.

3. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I'm biased as I own some Audio-Technica AD700 (no longer made) but the 'new' version
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=084Q59Y243JVY7KFMC4C
    looks good. The main 'complaint' about my original version is lack of bass (and yes, they are rolled off in the bass. I compensate with EQ to get a bit more bass out of them). I think they give adequate bass but certainly aren't for bass freaks. These are 'open back' headphones, so do not 'isolate' sound as much as 'closed back' versions.

If these are like mine (look similar) they are extremely comfortable on a large head (like mine). If you have an average/smaller head they may not be optimal for you.

The more 'upscale' version http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-AD900X-Open-Back-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B009S331VU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics and the 'closed back' version http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-A900X-Closed-Back-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B006V386UG/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics may be worth considering as well, and it 'sounds' like these have more bass response (the closed back ones should have the 'most' bass).

From a quick read, the A900X (closed back) seems like the 'best' overall ... whoops, I was going to suggest a separate headphone amp or DAC to use with whatever you get, but see you listen to vinyl. Possibly your preamp has a good headphone amp built in already. Probably good to have some tone control to adjust things to your liking.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  4. Colgin

Colgin Forum Resident

You can now get Sennheiser HD600 new, on sale at Adorama, for $299. That is a very good deal for new HD600's. You will need an amp of some sort for them though. While I don't own the HD600 I have listened to them many times and feel comfortable recommending them, although some people prefer the more expensive (but just different, not necessarily better, sounding HD 650).

I own the AKG Q701 which you can probably find new for around $200 and significantly less used. I think they are a steal at any price under $250 but they are a much more polarizing can than say the HD600. Almost everyone at least likes/respects the venerable HD600, even if they don't love them. The AKG K/Q 7xx series is more of a love it or hate it headphone, although I love it, with its immense soundstage really only rivaled by the much more expensive Senn HD 800 or uber-expensive electrostats like Stax makes.

Also, the foregoing are both open headphones for at home listening. If you need closed and/or portable that is a different set of cans.

Albireo, Tommy SB and danielbravo like this.
  5. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

In your price range the NAD HP50. Very happy with my set.

6. james

james Summon The Queen

that's what I'd get.

yes, they sound better with a nice dedicated amp, but I've never found it necessary. They sound great out of iphones and laptops, too.

7. Abbey Road

Abbey Road Well-Known Member

8. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

AKG K 240 Semi-Open Studio Headphones: good price, high quality and very good acquisition. If you like it do not take away from your hears. I own one of them for about 7 years and I have no complaints.

9. Nate

Nate Forum Resident

I've owned the AKG 701's and now have HD600's. If the HD 600 is available for under $300 I would go for that, 10 times out of 10, over the the 701's

Paul G likes this.
  10. csampson

csampson Forum Resident

I have a NAD HP50 which sound great. I had purchased these as I was looking at the same price point (under $300) and needed a closed ear design for listening while commuting and also a set of phones that did not require amplification outside of the phone they would be plugged into. I had bought the HP50's from Spearit Sound as refurbished units for $219 and other than being an open box unit they were as good as new.

11. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

Those HP50s get even better when you run them from an amp. Probably the best under $300 headphone available, period.

timind likes this.
  12. brooklyn

brooklyn I'm all ears

I have two pair of headphones that I use, the AKG Q701’s and the Grado 325i’s. I use the Grado’s for
    listening to music with a Graham Slee Solo headphone amp and the Q701’s for playing my electronic
    drums. Both sound very good to my ear’s but the Q701’s are more comfortable and larger then the
    Grado’s but the Grado’s are more efficient.

Both headphones are in your price range but your musical taste may be a factor. I listen to mostly
    classic rock and the Grado’s do a nice job.

lbangs likes this.
  13. BayouTiger and Ntotrar like this.
  14. james

james Summon The Queen

HD600's are the only audio gear I'd instantly replace if something happened to them. They're pretty much perfect for the price, to these ears

Nate likes this.
  15. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

16. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I'm in a similar boat with the same budget $200-$300 so I've been reading with interest.

I have original Grado SR225's that are long in the tooth. I'm using a cheap battery powered Airhead portable amp. These are exclusively used at work.
    I am mostly happy with their sound but wonder if I could do better in this price range. My version of better is defined as more articulate, more detail, without adding any brightness.

Would I be better off with a better amp and keep the 225's?
    How would the HD600's compare?
    Or maybe just replace them with the new version 225e? From previous recommendations I should steer clear of the 325's.

17. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I second the Shure SRH840.

18. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The HD600 would be a good choice. But you'll also need to get a more suitable amp for them. The Airhead will drive them loud enough, but leave them sounding less articulate than they should be. A $99 Schiit Magni or $119 Schiit Vali amp will drive the HD600 well and give the HD600 type of sound that makes them a good headphone.

I'm also curious about the NAD VISO HP50. They're a closed headphone. Tyll at InnerFidelity likes them and has put them on his wall of fame. I trust Tyll's ears. He generally likes what I like. So this one has me interested. I haven't heard it yet. It's $299.
    InnerFidelity wall of fame: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame
    InnerFidelity review of the NAD HP50: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i-love-these-headphonesthe-nad-viso-hp50
    The NAD HP50 is 36 ohms and efficient. Tyll mentions they should be able to be driven well from portable sources. So probably won't need an additional headphone amp, and the Airhead would probably do OK.

The HD600 is also on Tyll's wall of fame. For good reason.

19. james

james Summon The Queen

HD600s work great with the 120 dollar Schiit Vali, but they sound good with anything I've plugged them into.

20. Ham Sandwich

The HD600 doesn't end up sounding bad when not amped well. They still sound good. But not what I would consider great and not up to the level for why they're considered a great headphone.

One area that suffers when not suitably amped is the transients. Noticeable on percussion and also with acoustic guitar. Which is a reason why some people consider the HD600 too polite or boring. But properly amped with an amp that suits the HD600 they perk up. I like to use acoustic guitar as a test. When unsuitably amped a steel string acoustic will sound a little like a nylon string acoustic, and nylon string acoustic guitar will sound downright boring (no pluck). If you want to do rock music with the HD600 you need an amp that perks them up.

james likes this.
  21. dwm67

dwm67 Forum Resident

Very happy with the PSB M4U1

jhm likes this.
  22. rzahl

rzahl Forum Resident

I tested the Audio Technica ATH-M50 against the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro's and (slightly) preferred the latter. They have a slider to adjust bass response and are made in Germany.

Whatever you do don't rely solely on other people's opinions, find an audio, big box, or local music center where you can try some out before you buy. One local place said they would not let me try a pair for sanitary reasons so I just went to a competitor of his where I bought my Beyerdynamics.

23. weapon-x

weapon-x Member Thread Starter

Wow, thanks everyone. Question -- if you need an amp for headphones, what does that mean? I can't just plug into my receiver?

24. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

look for some used Denon AH-D2000s

slovell likes this.
  25. Ham Sandwich

"Needs an amp" is code word indicating that the headphones are either inefficient and need a strong amp to get loud enough and/or the headphones tend to not sound so good plugged directly in a portable audio source (like an iPhone) and need a good amp for sound quality reasons.

Technically any headphone jack has an amp behind it. Otherwise the headphone jack wouldn't do anything. The question is how good is that amp and how suitable is it for your particular headphones.

What receiver do you have? Some receivers have a decent headphone amp built in. Other receivers have headphone amps that are more of an afterthought with just an op-amp and minimal components driving the headphone jack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.