Tonight's episode of THE GOOD WIFE on CBS. BEST hour of commercial TV this year!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Shouldn't Alicia have mentioned to Cary and Diane at some point that she would be running for state's attorney? Are they going to hear about it on the news?

2. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

QUOTE="Squealy, post: 11250371, member: 2982"]Shouldn't Alicia have mentioned to Cary and Diane at some point that she would be running for state's attorney? Are they going to hear about it on the news?[/QUOTE]
    Watch them try to buy her out or vote her out or something with them against her because of her running

3. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

I have to disagree with you on this. The way Alicia used inside knowledge -- likely given to her in confidence -- to distract Elsbeth and take advantage of her illness shows she has exactly the minimal amount of ethics necessary to do the job.

4. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

It was nice taking a trip inside Elsbeth's mind.

5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Good point.

6. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Perhaps Elsbeth was just hallucinating the images in Alicia's notes?

7. Lonson

I don't think so.

8. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Nah. Just because she did something clever to win in court doesn't mean she's got a personality suited for politics.

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Thought this week's episode was kind of weak. The whole "inside Elsbeth's mind" stuff was annoying (and since when was she so easily distracted by just about anything and everything?) The encryption computer hijacker stuff was really really really stupid. Usually, The Good Wife does a good job of presenting technology, etc. in a somewhat realistic manner. This was just bizarrely stupid. Malware/Virus on one PC immediately shuts down the entire network? Really? And forget professional backups (no money for those, as they explained), you're telling me they didn't even bother to do a $149 external hard drive backup of the server? Plus the ease with which they traced everything back to some hacker in Russia AND were able to take over HIS computer. Sorry, this is the level of stupidity I expect on The Blacklist, not on The Good Wife.

A big disappointment in a season that's been fine so far.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  10. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I'm still enjoying the show, but I agree with your points. I would also add that they made Diane look uncharacteristically stupid by choosing to open a strange file like that. Most people, even technically deficient people these days, understand that you don't do that. Normally they portray Diane as highly sharp and astute. Not so much this time.

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

OK...I am totally tired of Elsbeth at this point. She's gone from quirky but brilliant (when she was first introduced as a character) to annoyingly weird and only occasionally competent. I hope she and the FBI guy sail into the sunset...

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  12. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

The show is morphing into a derivative sit-com, from the interesting drama it once was.

13. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

I disagree. I've been watching for years and find it to be pretty consistent. So far the only thing this season seems to be missing is an abundance of court cases and an overt romantic arc (unless you count Carey and Calinda)--both of those things being the most common aspects of any given procedural or generic TV show. After being on so long it's inevitable that The Good Wife is going to fall into the trap of re-using story-lines or conflicts, but I don't see this particular season as being so drastically different than the ones that came before it. Nor do I see the show as being anything but its own entity, with almost nothing in common with your average sitcom. If it's derivative, it's derivative of itself, which is the case for like 90% of TV shows that run for this many seasons. I'm more impressed that the show keeps me engaged than I am dismayed by its familiar tropes, and find a lot of the critiques to be sort of petty. This isn't the Sopranos. This is a 20 plus episode per season TV show, and not every second needs to be brilliant. I have yet to reach a point where I'm not looking forward to next week's episode, and if at first I was a little wary of Alicia's running for SA, I like that they are milking it for conflict from all sides and handling all the little details that go into running for office (even if those details are better suited for a more public position like Governor or President).

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
    Lonson likes this.
  14. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Last night's episode held my attention, but it is November sweeps, so it should be better than most. That being said, every once in a while, they put together a dopey episode to show some sort of humorous side, last week's Elsbeth's episode was definitely one of those...

15. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Is Julianna Margulies directing more?
    In 2011, by the third season, she has been listed as a producer of The Good Wife

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  16. The Wanderer

Never observed brilliance but sex-on-the desk, a wacky obsessed female and equally obsessed paramour, unrealistic courtroom antics, all very distracting from what once was an interesting evolving, not always serious, but adult storyline - Kalinda now playing Wonder Woman.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Too bad the Elsbeth episodes weren't particularly humorous.

18. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Nearly every single thing you've mentioned has practically been a staple of the show since it's first season. Is Will Gardner having sex in his office such a far cry from sex on a desk? Are you seriously accusing this season alone of resorting to "unrealistic" courtroom antics? Have you really not seen an episode until now where Kalinda seems capable of obtaining an abundance of information in precious little time? Do you actually watch this show or just catch it when your flipping channels?

19. The Wanderer

Not sure you're watching versus defending; it has jumped the shark.

20. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

This show hasn't remotely "jumped the shark". The only thing that has...is the phrase "jumped the shark", which is so sadly cliched at this point it needs to be permanently abandoned.

bopdd likes this.
  21. The Wanderer

I think it has; "Good Wife" is not what is started out to be.

22. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Kalinda with her hair down :love:

23. Lonson

Personally I think it is a more fully realized version of what it may have started out to be.

bopdd and colinu like this.
  24. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Lemond Bishop is a bad dude, and has to go. I predict that Kalinda shoots him & either goes to prison or gets put into witness protection, giving her character a "graceful" exit with potential for return. You heard it here first ;)

25. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

My guess is she goes into Witness Protection leaving the door opening for a cameo before the show closes up shop.
    Considering all the drama over Will being killed off last season, I can't imagine them pulling that off two years in a row.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.