Paul McCartney Comments on Kanye West & Jay-Z ("Best gig he's attended") and Katy Perry

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Technocentral, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

IDEK what a twerk is. A new type of beef jerky?

2. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Paul's forte has always been his open mindedness, he's never been one of neat little boxes. But he used to the a trendsetter and used to be in the forefront. With the artists he name drops now, he's become a follower.

3. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

McCartney likes to seem hip.

NEXT!

Yorick likes this.
  4. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

It would make Paul true. He grew up loving, revering, and being inspired by those '50s artists. But could you imagine how turned off the youths of today would be if Paul dropped the names of Buddy Holly and Little Richard? Those kids would have the look of a deer in the headlights.

Yorick likes this.
  5. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

For anyone that looked at Twitter while this was going on... well most of it was Twitter as usual... a race to the bottom of some really ugly tweets.

It's too bad that a fun Q&A had to be filled with a lot nasty comments.

6. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

http://theboot.com/neil-young-taylor-swift/

http://tasteofcountry.com/pistol-annies-neil-young-praise/

http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/segments/5846

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, Double Fantasy is a true signpost of the punk movement. Some of you younger listeners may not know this, but when that album came out it was positively subversive. Banned by a lot of stations on general principal. How times have changed. It almost sounds quaint now, like Never Mind the Bullocks.

905 likes this.
  8. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Hip-Hop/Rap has officially been validated.

9. Amazing comments here. I love Macca just too many that are so closed minded. What i reality think cant be posted here but I bet you can guess.

The Beatles have always been more opened minded than most of their fans.

10. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

It really is time for a sub-forum. The powers in control here should consider creating one.

Mazzy likes this.
  11. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I guess Paul had to hold his nose and pretend to like Dave Grohl when he cut this track with him:

I'm not even really a fan of Grohl or of the Foo Fighters, but the boomer snobbery here that Rock God Sir Paul is too far above a Dave Grohl or a Kanye West too ever dig their music for any other reason than scoring cool points with "the kids today" is simply laughable, and more than a little sad.

Paulwalrus, PHILLYQ, midge and 3 others like this.
  12. roostershooter

roostershooter New Member

boooo. u tried.

13. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

McCartney likes to seem hip.

NEXT!

14. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

It just seems to me that the people who don't care for Kanye or JZ, etc., don't really want to believe that Paul likes them.

In reality, the people here have no reason to doubt that Paul likes these artists, but somehow it makes them uncomfortable so THEY have an agenda.:D

Wayne Hubbard likes this.
  15. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Funny to see all the haters here blow off comments from one of the most beloved musicians of our era as nonsense. However, if he had stated the opposite, the forum would have been acting completely validated.

Rap/Hip-Hop and Pop have been officially validated.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  16. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

He also expressed a great affection for Fats Waller, Frank Sinatra, and Danny Kaye a couple of years ago while promoting "Kisses on the Bottom". He was probably just basking in their youth, too.

Driver 8 likes this.
  17. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I am waiting for Bob Dylan to post a pic of himself playing Grand Theft Auto.

18. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

uh no...unless you're confusing the front with the back, in which case I agree with you completely.

19. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

Kanye must have performed "New" live only three days after Paul released it!

EVOLVIST likes this.
  20. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

So do his fans have to be open-minded to everything Paul does? I was open minded when he went Disco for a bit, amd when he experimented with weird sounds for the McCARTNEY II album. I thought he had a decent single with Michael Jackson in 1983 with "Say Say Say" (though don't get me started on "The Girl Is Mine" or "The Man"). I thought Paul pulled it off with Dave Grohl in the "Nirvana" mode... but I think that rap and hip hop is beneath him. Just my opinion.

21. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

He loves those great singers and songs to death. But marketing wise, Kisses On The Bottom was aimed at the baby boomers. And a business man like Paul knows what names to drop when. :)

22. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Well, I've heard from everyone who saw that Watch the Throne tour that they put on a hell of a show. In my experience, many, even most professional musicians have great curiosity about and respect for the best of the best in what seem to fans to be "other" genres of music and they stay on top of the whole industry, and, like I said, he's not the only guy who has set that those two put on a hell of a show.

23. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

Lou Reed, that already has been cited here, made a record in homage to Doc Pomus inviting Little Jimmy Scott to sing. Many years later, he gave a rave review to Kanye West. If he wanted to be cool, back in 1992, he would've called any big grunge name and made a "grungy" record instead of one with almost no distorted guitars and jazzy chords all over the place. He didn't talked about Kanye because he was a vampire but because the guy is REALLY talented even if a little sociopath. That's why Paul name checked him.

24. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

25. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

This seems like as good a time as any to quote our rules on forum etiquette:

There are many different types of people who are members at Steve Hoffman Forums, with many different tastes in music, hardware, etc. One of the primary goals of our cyber community is to foster an intelligent, enjoyable, and civil exchange of thoughts and ideas about music and its related topics between our members. You may even make new friends here. We expect you to respect the opinions of your fellow forum members. Please curb any urge you may have to flippantly dismiss someone's opinion (Examples: "that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard" or "that's bullsh*t").

Since this is an open music forum, obviously many different types of music will be discussed. Statements about a member's personal taste in artists or hardware, or negative comments about whole genres of music will not be tolerated (Example: "all rap sucks!"). This also goes for viciously attacking the musical merit of a group or artist, or vicious attacks on individuals outside the forum. Note, however, that civil criticism of an artist is allowed.

Please keep this in mind while posting here.

dustybooks and nbakid2000 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.