Little Big Town release first single, "Day Drinking" from upcoming new album, "Pain Killer"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Jun 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

2. jammincrowe

jammincrowe Forum Resident

They ARE better than that. By a LOT. Which makes this sad.

agentalbert likes this.
  3. abefroman1971

abefroman1971 Member

4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Looking forward to the new album. I really liked 'Tornado'.

5. pghmusiclover

6. csqmnem89

csqmnem89 Forum Resident

Im not thrilled with the song but liked their last record except Pontoon,

Recordfan likes this.
  7. pghmusiclover

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  8. pghmusiclover

9. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I like this song and "Pontoon." Call it pop-country, call it straight-up pop, whatever. They make some of the most well-crafted and catchy records in any genre at the moment.

10. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Anyone got the Painkiller CD yet? Mine is ordered but won't be here for another couple of weeks yet. Any thoughts/opinions on the new album?

11. pghmusiclover

This was available to stream on iTunes here last week and it sounded very good. Some of the tunes "rock" a bit more than in the past. Their harmonies are excellent, as always. "Day Drinking", as much as I want to hate it, is catchy as hell! I'm holding off for the vinyl, which is scheduled for some time in December.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  12. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

Allmusic Guide has given Pain Killer a whopping 4 1/2 stars. Almost perfect?

13. pghmusiclover

Here's the AllMusic review (by Stephen Thomas Erlewine):

Little Big Town have long been compared to Fleetwood Mac, usually due to their lush harmonies and taste for sun-kissed melodic pop. If that analogy holds water -- and it does -- then Pain Killer is Little Big Town's Tusk, the record where the group bends, twists, and reshapes expectations of what the band can do. Coming after the sweet, shiny Tornado, the restless over-saturation in Killer is something of a shock. As pure description, the elements sound strictly mainstream: there are gnarled, distorted guitars, flirtations with electronics, thick walloping rhythms, everything that would seemingly amount to a full-fledged arena-country crossover. Instead of following a predictable pattern, the quartet embarks on a series of detours, seizing each individual track as an opportunity to veer a little further off course. While there's none of the frenzied madness that pulsates underneath Tusk, Little Big Town do slide into a bit of minor-key madness on "Faster Gun" and have to hold their tongue on "Quit Breaking Up with Me"; otherwise they'd spit out profanity. That mischievousness is intertwined with aural adventure on Pain Killer: there's a sense that the group members are goading each other on, daring their bandmates to dabble in a bit of reggae ("Pain Killer"), to add a whistle to a chorus ("Day Drinking"), to write a swaying slow dance about a "Girl Crush," or to turn a bit of back-porch picking into a funky stomp ("Stay All Night"). Even though this record settles into a finale of three successive folk-rock tunes -- all three softly gorgeous -- it's the previous series of left-hand tours that gives Pain Killer its kick: this is the rarest thing in contemporary country, a record with an expansive world-view delivered with a kinetic kick and infallible melodies, a record that gives no indication of where it's going upon first listen but remains compelling upon further spins, after all the dazzle dissipates and Little Big Town's craft shines through.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  14. pghmusiclover

15. day drinking and some afternoon delight works just fine for me

16. pghmusiclover

17. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Downloaded this today, and, after one listen, it's pretty amazing.

18. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

This is a super-solid album with zero filler. Early highlights are the Karen Fairchild-sung "Quit Breaking Up With Me," which brings the twang, and "Live Forever" and "Silver and Gold," which, like "Leaving In Your Eyes" from the last record, show off their amazing group vocal blend.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  19. pghmusiclover

"Girl Crush" is also a great one -- interesting twist in that one!

Driver 8 likes this.
  20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Saw LBT doing the new song "Day Drinking" on TV yesterday. It's decent. Catchy enough, not a bad song. I absolutely loathed "Pontoon", and while this sounds like another attempt at a similar style single, its better, imo.

21. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

Sang the anthem at the ball game tonight.

jerol

22. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Give the rest of the album a chance. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

23. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I was at Wal-Mart last night, and they had a box of the four LBT albums before Pain Killer, in jewel boxes, for $19.99. Sad to see the music biz reduced to fire sales like that, but that's a pretty good bargain.

24. pghmusiclover

Happy to see LBT get some Grammy love last night. Their performance of "Girl Crush" was terrific!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.