ARC VT100mkII, VPI TNT Jr. (12.5 arm), JMLab Micro Utopia

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by nitsuj, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident Thread Starter

I feel a case of upgraditis coming on...

Like my vehicles, I buy used audio gear, and these three used items fall into my realm of "affordable".

Unfortunately I can only choose one of the three. What direction would you go? Do you feel strongly about any one of these particular components (in favor or against)?

See my sig for current system, small room: 12x13x9

Thanks,
    Nitsuj

2. nitsuj

I should add that I am pleased with the current state of my rig, but would like to wring out a bit more heft in the lower mids and expand the width/height of the soundstage.

I am leaning towards the VT100 as my BA-2000 is getting long in the tooth and expensive to repair. Of course matched quads biased from ARC every couple three years aint cheap either...

If you have a favorite product that competes with any of the above (at or below their cost) please share.

3. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

I haven't had experience with any of your current gear, but based on your list there, I would think you'd see the biggest difference by upgrading your loudspeakers to the Micro Utopias, the Utopia line is highly regarded and sounds fantastic. If I had a second choice it would be mating an ARC amplifier with your line stage.

- Buck

nitsuj likes this.
  4. rocky dennis

rocky dennis Forum Resident

You have a pretty nice system as it is. What do you think is lacking? Without knowing that, I think upgrading your speakers will make the most substantial difference. Speaker preference, though, is so subjective that it's imperative to audition them. Speakers that I thought I would love based on what I read turned out not to be so appealing upon audition.

Have fun with your upgrade!

nitsuj likes this.
  5. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

These are all good pieces. I love my VT-100 (mine is a Mark I) though so I personally would lean that way. Also:

1. VT-100 would be big step up from the Sansui.
    2. I had an LS-3 and know it works well with the VT-100.

nitsuj and ellingtonic like this.
  6. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

You would get the biggest bang for the buck upgrading your amp however the 100 MKII is over 15 years old so it probably is in need of a cap job. I you go that route you need to budget for having the amp serviced which could run you $800 or more. A new set of ARC tubes will cost you $1000 just for the tubes.
    Given the 3 choices I vote for the table.

nitsuj likes this.
  7. nitsuj

Thanks for the feedback folks, all great input. Rocky, you are right, I do enjoy it as is and am somewhat reluctant to mess with success. But, I have been working on this system for 20 years and I had to make "tough" choices along the way to bring it to it's current state. I can always roll back the changes if something doesn't work out.

Lee, I like where you are going with the ARC pre/power synergy vibe. Tommy, the maintenance/re-tube thing stunts that vibe. Audioguy, the micros are sweet and the cheapest option (it's borderline ridiculous) but my Dyna's have been the keystone of the system to this point and would probably be the hardest of the group to let go (I have had them for 11 years and they keep getting better, highly recommended).

I am leaning towards the TNT. Outboard motor, 12" unipivot, superior isolation compared to my Traveler, and built like a Mack truck.

8. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

On the VT-100, see when they last retubed it. Also note that you can get the exact same tubes ARC sells for around $500 from Vintage Tube in Chicago. Cap repairs are pretty affordable.

Also, as good as the TNT is, you really need a better amp and VPI's latest such as the Classic and Prime tables are a better long-term investment in my opinion. 3D arm on the Prime is really special sonically and more important than having a 12" arm.

9. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Wow, hi-fi flashback, man. :ed:

I have heard all of that stuff and had much of it come through my shop. I would snag the Jm Lab speakers asap before they vanish. That is easily the bombshell for the system well being there. Run like hell from the ARC, as good as it was, it ain't what it used to be. You can probably by a new Rogue Audio Stereo 100 for what you'll end up spending on that and certainly a new Atlas Magnum. No way do you want 15 yr old ritzy tube amp woes if you are on a budget. The turntable is great but you already have a newish table with an excellent cartridge and phonostage. Fix the speakers as they will really improve everything. Look at newer tube amps later.
    [​IMG]
    -Bill

nitsuj likes this.
  10. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

The speakers are great no doubt but will a Sansui amp do them justice?

11. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The amp is always the last thing to change IME. It basically just drives the speakers. If it were perfect, it would simply amplify whatever signal it was handed from upstream. Thus all upstream components are more critical to the outcome and finally the speakers have the ability to either turn to muck whatever is sent to them or to make it as good as it can be. While older and a bit behind the times, the Micro Utopia is still an excellent speaker and was at the top of the list at one point. Amplifiers have much easier jobs for the most part, as long as we keep the loads realistic, and the JM Lab speaker is an easy load. He'll have more resolution and frequency response dished-out of those speakers and sucked into his brain than he ever thought was possible from the Sansui. And I really like the sound of the ARC VT100 amp. It's just not worth the heartache and will not transport his current speakers into the halls of Utopia.
    -Bill

nitsuj likes this.
  12. nitsuj

Lee, Prior to the Sansui I owned an ARC D100B for about 10 years and loved it, no complaints. My brother called me up one day and said "I traded some gear for a Sansui amp a couple weeks ago, you gotta check it out...blah blah blah." Sansui!? I laughed and teased him (I went easy on him as he is a gifted musician and I respect his "ears"). A few weeks later he brought it over and we swapped it in, made him a deal and it has been in my system ever since. I no longer assume brand X is inferior to brand Y until I hear it for myself. It is a beast of an amp but it has softened up to the point that I am pretty sure it needs a re-cap at the least, and I may just do that. All that being said, I have listened to the VT100 driving some Aerial Acoustic floorstanders (Model 8 or 9, cant remember) and I get goosebumps just thinking about it, I am almost sure it is superior to my humble BA-2000. BTW, I gave the ARC to my brother who used it for a bit then sold it to a friend. About a year later it "blew-up" and was sent into ARC, they said it was not repairable due to lack of replacement parts.

Bill, Thank you for the thoughtful response and historical references/perspectives. I agree that the ideal amp should do nothing more than amplify the sonic signature of the upstream components, which themselves should do nothing more than extract the information of the source recording without coloration. However, as you mention, the loudspeakers can "make it or break it" in the end.

I may just have to suck it up and try and score all three.

13. nitsuj

Bill,

Checked the Atlas Magnum out online and it looks promising. I am not familiar with Rogue (other than the delicious beers by the same name), do you have much experience with it? I like the tube interchangeability, user friendly biasing, and solid looking build.

The Utopia guy has not gotten back to me so that opportunity may have come and gone. Do you have any other recommendations for monitors or small towers? So far I have scoped out but have not listened to the following: Gallo Strada 2, Aerial 5 and 6 (may be to large), Studio Electric SE, Totem Model 1 Sigs, and Sonus Faber Toy Towers.

Thanks again,
    Justin

14. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Justin, I have been very impressed with the Gallo speakers and the Studio Electric. You might want to look at the new Benchmark speakers which sounded very good at RMAF and may be based on the Studio Electric.

15. nitsuj

Thanks Lee. As I mentioned earlier I am looking for a little more low-mid/upper-bass intensity as well as bigger soundstage. I have read that the Strada's throw a wide stage but may be limited in the frequency range I mention. I have not been able to find enough opinion on the Stud Elec's in these areas. Have you heard either of these enough to comfortably comment? I will do some research on the Benchmarks. Thank you again for taking time to share. I live in a one horse town with zero HiFi shops, so having y'all to help narrow the options saves me a lot of time (which is always in short supply with wife and kids) and gasoline when it comes time to audition.

16. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Rory Rall at Benchmark for several years showed his Benchmark gear with the Studio Electric monitors. I thought they sounded great. This year at RMAF they had their own speakers and I think those sounded even better although they had the benefit of the new wideband AHB2 Benchmark amp (130db SNR!).

nitsuj likes this.
  17. kfringe

kfringe Well-Known Member

That's because those are, in almost every way, the Studio Electric monitors. Benchmark brought them, and their designer, in house. They've leveraged the larger production runs to do a bit better cabinet engineering, better part matching, and better parts and layout on the physical crossover.

The upgrade is a complete win.

ellingtonic, nitsuj and LeeS like this.
  18. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I am also impressed with the KEF LS50s if they are in your price range.

There's just something about coincident drivers.

19. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Yes, I have been a dealer of Rogue Audio gear for many years. The Atlas is indeed very well built and sounds excellent. We would need to converse for a bit in order for me to make the best recommendations for you.
    -Bill

20. michael burns

michael burns New Member

What is the difference between a Audio research VT-100mkII and and VT-100mkIII?

21. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

http://www.arcdb.ws/

LeeS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.