POLL: How do you rate Paul McCartney's "McCartney" album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

One of his best works for him........but not against John's or George's best solo work.

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Pretty solid effort. Charming little songs. Down home feel.

craigh likes this.
  3. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

Overall, I'd put it somewhere between "not bad" and "lower tier." But "maybe I'm amazed," "junk" and especially "every night" are lovely....almost as good as anything else he's written. "every night" doesn't have terribly impressive words, but I love it anyway. At its worst, it's still very pleasant listening, and that's what made me vote "not bad."

Carlox, eeglug and Pizza like this.
  4. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

I
    Sounds like his hitting a joint right before the main drum solo...;0)

5. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

this and Ram are the only 2 essential Paul McCartney albums, imo - with the latter being considerably better

6. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

I agree, except that I prefer this one over RAM. I really think this is his best album and wish he would have done more stuff like this. It's just so honest and real, I love to play this from start to finish.

Jayce and Hall Cat like this.
  7. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

in my mccartney top 5

1. band on the run
    2. ram
    3. chaos and creation
    4. mccartney
    5. venus and mars

8. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

One of his very best and one of the first albums I ever owned as a little kid. The nostalgia is very strong with this one, but I really do think it's a great album. Love it.

theMess likes this.
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

First option.
    Perhaps his best album cover.

Shaddam IV and Hall Cat like this.
  10. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

There are three McCartney albums I really like. In order of importance: Band on the Run, Ram and this one. A great album.

bumbletort likes this.
  11. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

It's really my very favorite McCartney or Wings

905 and theMess like this.
  12. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I think it's a wonderful album. Teddy Boy, to me, has always been the one weak track.

Digital-G and ralph7109 like this.
  13. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

:crazy:

14. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

I completely agree with bumbletort. The albums full of great sketches and great melodies. The last firemen album makes a nice companion piece.

bumbletort likes this.
  15. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

It's a gem, from start to finish. A look inside the strange musical mind of Macca at a moment in time when he's in the midst of a nervous breakdown and losing nearly everything that ever meant anything to him. And yet, across the album are all these small moments of utter beauty. Junk. Every Night. MIA. Momma Miss America. So many lovely moments. Even a simple track like That Would Be Something is just a little bit of perfection. And then he throws in all the weird stuff, too. Ram is my favorite McCartney album but this one is right up there. Always a good listen and over too soon.

16. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I love it, partially because it does have that homemade tape feel. It is raw and spontaneous especially compared to things like Abbey Road.

It ranges from self-indulgent noodling to classic songs that are now rock standards. Despite its short comings I think it is a perfect album that documents McCartney finding his post Beatles voice.

theMess likes this.
  17. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

I didn't get it at first - "half-baked songs and instrumentals" I was told (by reviews).

I have now come to feel that the instrumentals are the best part.

Replace the last track with the new instrumental of Oo You (actually before "Maybe I'm Amazed" so that ends the album), and it is easily his most listenable album for me.

theMess likes this.
  18. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

You said what I was going to say.

theMess likes this.
  19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I agree - it's nuts to say that "Teddy Boy" is the one weak track. There are plenty of other weak tracks! :laugh:

20. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

That's the way I interpreted the response to my comment. :D Though I don't agree. But as to Teddy Boy, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it...haven't for 40 some years...but it's a throw-away. It'll stick in your head (like now!) but I do agree with the rest of The Beatles when they ignored this one.

21. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Self-indulgent McCartney.
    As some others have said, Maybe I'm Amazed is possibly his best solo recording ever.
    A couple of fairly good songs and the rest are throwaways, and should have been thrown away, or saved for later years when he remembered how to write lyrics, finish songs, and get a good producer.
    Funny that Harrison was never considered much of a songwriter in the Beatle years (except for the last year) and he puts out an album with a lot of good solid songs on it. McCartney, the alleged tunesmith puts out his first solo album with mostly poorly written, unfinished and under-produced songs/recordings.

22. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

A mixed bag for me. A lot of it has a casual, throwaway feel -- not just the homemade feel he was going for, but the fact that songs like "That Would Be Something" are unfinished fragments. What saves it are three solid tracks -- Teddy Boy, Every Night and Junk -- plus one flat-out, off-the-charts masterpiece, "Maybe I'm Amazed." That one glorious track makes up for a multitude of sins.

bumbletort likes this.
  23. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I like it, but that's probably nostalgia from listening to it as a ten year old kid. Like others, I hear one great track, and two very good tracks (Maybe I'm Amazed, Every Night and Junk). Everything else is pleasant, but inconsequential. Based on that, I had to vote "lower tier".

24. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

I would add "Man We Was Lonely" to that batch of ready-to-go pieces. I didn't include it at first, but then I imagined Lennon's contribution to that ironic vocal--after I did that I could never hear it the same way again.

25. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I loved it when it was first was released. Very organic album. It came out right about the time Let it be was released.

theMess likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.