Underworld - Dubnobasswithmyheadman - Super deluxe reissue coming in October

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maurice, Jun 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnsiddique

johnsiddique Forum Resident

I've always loved the original album of this.. but there's a version of Dirty that I had on a strange cassette compilation free from NME (I Think) years ago.. which I've never heard again.. it was basically the Lemon Interrupt - Dirty but descended into ambient noise towards the end with a looping sample from the anime Akira spiralling through it, I was hoping it would see the light of day on this deluxe set.. but alas.. I think as it was the first version I heard I have a genetic desire to hear it again.

All the mixes etc included on the new set are fun, but the album proper is much greater than the sum of its parts, I feel.

Peace

John

2. Carl Hoffmann

Carl Hoffmann Senior Member

Strange to me that they didn't include the Blu-ray version in the deluxe set.

dobyblue and redraiderak like this.
  3. brokenhanger

brokenhanger Well-Known Member

I noticed the name change for "Mmm Skyscraper I Love You" and got a bit OCD annoyed by it, even though it does make more sense that way.

Both "Dirty Guitar" and "Dirty" were credited as "Dirty Epic (Dirty Guitar Mix)" and "Dirty Epic (Dirty Mix)" on the US "Dirty Epic"/"Cowgirl" single so there is precedent...even if both tracks date from before "Dirty Epic" was compelted. (I believe. Certainly "Dirty" as it was a Lemon Interrupt track.) I believe "Dark Train" was also listed as a remix of "Dark Train" on some US single at some point but I don't recall for certain. I don't know why they've decided to list "Thing In A Book" and "Burts" as remixes of "Dark & Long" as they never were listed that way before.

The missing minute on "Dirty" is a hack off of the ambient noise part at the end, perhaps what johnsiddique references below? It's on the aforemetioned US "Dirty Epic"/"Cowgirl" single but I'm not familiar with the cassette he's referencing, or enough with 'Akira' to know if that's where the sample comes from.

As for "Dark Train", I know it was shorter on the UK CD single as it fades into "Most 'Ospitable". I don't have that particular disc ripped to my iTunes - which I need to fix as it's the only place to get "215 Miles", annoyingly not on the new set - but I believe the time is similar to the version of "Dark Train" on the set so my guess it's an edit of the last 30 seconds or so of the fade out.

4. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Underworld song titles never made much sense to me. Banstyle/Sappys Curry, Rowla, Burts, Dogman Go Woof, Rez.
    Say what???

:D

serge likes this.
  5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Have the 2cd deluxe cd on right now and really enjoying it.

6. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I bought Barking in 2011 on vinyl when it first came out and for some reason since then I've always felt that only the first two tracks were really good (and they are brilliant), the 20th anniversary of Dub had me pull out Barking to give it another shot and...MAN...I'm so glad I did! What an amazing album!!

So Bird 1 and Always Loved A Film I'm very familiar with but I've fallen in love of late with Scribble, Hamburg Hotel, Between Stars and Diamond Jigsaw. I think Louisiana might be the only weak link for me. Been really hitting "Scribble" and "Diamond Jigsaw" very hard in the car recently, can't stop going between the two.

I've felt the same way about Oblivion With Bells (first two tracks are fan-bloody-tastic) for 5+ years now...I wonder if I should give that one another shot to see if there are as many gems past track#2 as there are with Barking?

7. brokenhanger

I still can't get in to 'Barking' - though to be honest, I haven't really given it a try in a while - but I have found more to love in 'Oblivion With Bells' over the years. I mean, nothing to match the highs of the opening pair of "Crocodile" and "Beautiful Burnout" but it's better than I initially gave it credit for, particularly "Glam Bucket" and "Faxed Invitation".

8. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Those two are amazing!

@dobyblue I should give Barking another try too. Nothing moved me much when I got it and haven't played it in ages.

dobyblue likes this.
  9. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

I've only listened to the first three discs so far (twice each), and I've really enjoyed it all. Some wonderful remixes, and it was actually my first time on the album proper too (although I did know about half of it).

Can't believe it took me this long to pay attention to Underworld. (I have Beaucoup, Everything Everything & 1992-2012, plus the Born Slippy Nuxx 2-disc single. Looking forward to digging into everything else!)

10. Goratrix

Goratrix Well-Known Member

11. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

12. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

To get you to buy it twice?

13. otherdimension

otherdimension Senior Member

Anyone compare the original vinyl to the re-issue vinyl? ( I have neither!:cry:)

14. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

I'm very happy with this box. Lot's of new remixes etc.

15. brokenhanger

That I didn't realize. However, that second 12" also lists "Spoon Deep" as a remix of "Dark & Long" - on the sleeve anyways, on the label it's just "Spoon Deep" - when it is, rather confusingly, a jam on "Surfboy". I forget chart rules at the time, but maybe they were labeled as remixes for eligibility reasons? Technically, neither track on the second 12" has anything to do with "Dark & Long". (Which could have been rectified if they replaced one of the tracks with "Dark Hard", which I don't believe is on any of the UK formats of the single.)

I also checked my sleeves and "Dark Train" is also listed as "Dark + Long (Dark Train)" on the US "Born Slippy.NUXX" 7-track CD single...and, yes, "Dark + Long", not "Dark & Long". Ugh.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  16. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Don't they realize people at SHF spend hours on meta data? :D

I use iTunes for convenience but almost always have to fix things after ripping.

Reminds me of a friend in college who never knew the song titles on any cd - he'd say things like " Depeche Mode played all the new songs at the concert except tracks 2 and 9" or "I love the first three songs on that Duran cd".

17. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

I think Underworld needs someone who brings some consistency in their song titles on their various releases. Any volunteers? :D

18. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member Thread Starter

It took a while to get here but I finally got my copy and had a chance to live with it for a couple of days. Annoyingly, the first disc of the original album had a bad scuff on it so I'm going through the returns & exchange process with Amazon UK. However, I've been really loving the other four discs of this set. The only quibble I'd had beforehand was the non-inclusion of any live sets and the live jam ends up filling that gap very well. If you've ever heard any of their '96 tour sets, you'll recognize the live version of "Mmm...Skyscraper" instantly. I'm also really happy to finally have "The Hump (Wild Beasts)" in CD quality, as this was one of my favorite rarities of theirs from this era. Overall, this set is a treat and I'm very happy with it.

If there'd been another disc (and this is a highly recommended playlist otherwise), it would have been cool to add in the three remaining long-form tracks / mixes "215 Miles", "Spoon Deep" and "Dark Hard." I also still hope they'll do a compilation of the remixes they've done for other artists, but for now, just bring on the new album.

JeffMo and mestreech like this.
  19. Klipsch

Klipsch Forum Resident

Apart from DR-ish talk, the new release sounds much fresher to me! Without hearing the album in years though, it's hard for me to find what i was thinking 20 years ago apart from classic tracks like Dirty Guitar, Rez and Dark & Long (Dark Train)

20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Meaning you like it more now, or less now?

I never actually heard the album until this reissue and am really enjoying it. I hope they release a deluxe reissue for the next couple of albums too.

jsb! likes this.
  21. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Just got the Deluxe 5CD set. Why would I want to use the download code it comes with? Is it the same as CD1?

22. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

If you have no need for your download code, feel free to send it to me! :)

23. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I don't know if I have a need for it? That's what I'm trying to understand. Are the download files a higher resolution than the CD?

24. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

From their site I see the bluray comes with MP3 320 which I dont consider hi rez...you could rip better quality in lossless. Again feel free to send me your code :) Highly doubtful they put a lossless version online for free with purchase...the file sizes would be pretty large.

This offer contains:
    -Dubnobasswithmyheadman (Audio Blu Ray)
    -Dark & Long
    -Mmm...Skyscraper I Love You
    -Surfboy
    -Spoonman
    -Tongue
    -Dirty Epic
    -Cowgirl
    -River of bass
    -M.E
    -Surfboy & Cowgirl remaster

Audio Format Options:
    -High Quality MP3 (320 kbs)

25. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Was doing some mind numbing spreadsheet work in the home office today, and had disc one of the 2cd set on at moderate volume. Definitely helped with my productivity!

At the risk of repeating myself, "River of Bass" is a whoa - what is that?!? When the bass drum kicks in at about the 5 minute mark, it sounded amazing on my very modest main system (and I don't have a subwoofer either!).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.