Billy Idol Cyberpunk vinyl question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by _rod_serling_, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _rod_serling_

_rod_serling_ Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know that love for this album varies drastically but I am slowly collecting my favorite albums from my HS days which unfortunately was the end of the 80's - early 90's and therefore makes most of it hard to find/expensive. (social d, orbital, the the, peter murphy [though i did finally score Deep on discogs last month after having it on my want list for almost 2 years - yay!]). I would really like Cyberpunk on vinyl but see that the releases were somewhat sparse and all from non-US locations. Does anyone have this and if so do you think it's a worthwhile pressing to own? Which pressing? I did pick up the Dual disc Heroin remixes on white vinyl unopened at a record show recently for fairly cheap and that reignited my interest to see if I could find a cyberpunk.

thanks for reading this far :)

latheofheaven, profholt82 and c-eling like this.
  2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Strictly judging by how much music is jammed on one lp, not sure the price would justify the sound, just a thought :cheers:
    How does Deep (great album!) sound compared to the old cd? the thing I noticed about 90's pressings they sound near identical, most likely a straight digital transfer to lp

3. _rod_serling_

_rod_serling_ Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well there was a Brazil 2 lp version that I wondered about for that reason but I have never bought any south american vinyl and am unfamiliar with the qualities from there. i was happily impressed with Deep-certainly worth it. Another one I scored before that that I was not quite as happy with was The The - Dusk as it had traits similar to those you mentioned.
    - my setup - so you know where i am coming from. Dynavector 10x5 - Rega p3-24 - rogue audio triton - rogue audio cronus magnum - Dali zensor 7 .

c-eling likes this.
  4. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

'Cyberpunk' was certainly an ambitious album. I can't say that I enjoyed it all that much, but there were a few tracks that I liked. I loved the video for "Shock to the System" at the time. As I recall, the album was a commercial failure, and in the early '90s, even popular albums didn't get much of a print run on vinyl. Plus, that was a long album, over an hour long. So unless it was a double record, SQ-wise, its probably not going to be worth the price of admission.

Edit:
    Now that you've got me thinking about this one (for the 1st time in 20 years), I'm thinking about digging up an old CD copy and giving it a listen. :righton:

5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Cool, good to know about Deep, thanks! On two albums, that's good news, I guess if the price was right and the seller has a good track record, I'd chance it, just watch out for that funny white residue :D

6. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Funny how these thing work! I think I got my copy at an end of year sale at HMV in 93 or 94 and there were several unwanted copies there. I've actually only listened to it a couple of times. Cyberpunk was the first of Billy's albums to be affected by the loudness wars and, from memory, the LP did help the sound even though there was a lot of music in one LP. Do I think it's worth it? It's no sonic masterpiece and mine was at 2.99 so yes that was worth it but I wouldn't think it's worth paying the earth for. I have various Brazil/South American LP's and I've always found them to be noisy and disappointing so I'd go with the single disc over the 2 disc!

c-eling likes this.
  7. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Adam in Chains is astounding.

I never came across any LP version of this. It was recorded on a Mac, so it had to be loud. Analog it was not.

Jaffboy151 likes this.
  8. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Apparently according to Billy, this was supposed to be the soundtrack for LAWNMOWER MAN 2, when Brett Leonard was still going to direct it.

scobb and ARK like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.