Post artists that were blacklisted/Blackballed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Declining to book an artist because of a history of performing while wasted, quitting a set or not showing up is not blacklisting. It's just sensible business practice.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  2. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

I found a rough translation of the lyrics and they oppose US policy in Central America at the time, but it would be a huge stretch to say that the song was anti-American.

3. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

True, but it was worse than you would think. Gary's bad reputation prevented him from recording much in the way of new material, so he mostly relied on the popularity of his older recordings. Though it was released around the time he died, even his final live album for the regional Live At Billy Bob's series was considered botched and this frustrated Gary.

4. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The consanguinity was not close enough to be illegal anywhere in the US. 13, however, was problematic pretty much everywhere but Arkansas.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  5. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I think you did the right thing, GG Allin was nuts and prone to violence. There's a dvd about him that exposes his insanity. His brother didn't help by dosing him with LSD.

6. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

All I remember is he did the song and was told "not to do it," but did it anyway.
    The next day the S. Florida media was buzzing with "Reuben Blades sings a anti-American song in concert,"
    then you see WQBA holding a rally in the Dinner Key parking lot steam rolling over a mountain of CDs,
    Spanish radio will never play his music again, and how his career in S. Florida is finished.
    I wonder if he returned there for a show would people remember that.

Two more, both blackballed by Berry "nobody ever leaves Motown" Gordy:

Mary Wells and Florence Ballard after leaving Motown for 20th Century Fox and ABC/Dunhill.
    He tried to blacklist the Four Tops when they signed to ABC/Dunhill but it backfired on him when
    "Aint No Woman Like The One I Got" became a massive hit.

7. hellion

hellion Forum Resident

I think that was the point!

8. Hamhead

After Furtwängler was de-Nazified, he came to New York on a invitation to conduct the NY Philharmonic but turned them down. RCA issued his EMI recordings here in the early 50's, London issued some things he did for Decca, his records were available. This is one of the coolest album covers on a classical album, Wilhelm on the podium in command with his name in German font rocks. The greatest conductor of all-time.

[​IMG]

His recording (on Melodiya) of Beethoven's 9th that was recorded on Hitler's birthday in 1943 is one for the record books, brooding, angry, and intense. You need to check out the YouTube clips to see the man in action.

Kim Olesen and Robin L like this.
  9. Hamhead

That girl (I forgot her name) rapper that flipped the bird at the camera during Madonna's Super Bowl Halftime Show a few years ago suffered the same fate. That was sheer stupidity on her behalf.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  10. kelhard

kelhard Forum Resident

GG died in 1993, my friend. Were you asked to open for GG's corpse, maybe? LOL. (that would be cool in itself!).

11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I think there were 2 'Nazi Ninths', with another in 1942. I'd say the greatest document of Furtwängler's war years is the Bruckner's Ninth Symphony with the Berlin Philharmonic from 1944:

12. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

M.I.A. right?

13. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Cat Stevens (justified)
    P.F. Sloan (unjustified)

14. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Maybe it's apocryphal, but I read somewhere Charlie Parker was banned from "Birldland", the NY Jazz club named after him.

In her biography of Johnny Thunders, Nina Antonia made the case that, even though the Heartbreakers were making some of the most invigorating music of the punk era, major labels wouldn't touch them with a ten pole, for obvious reasons.

15. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

A couple of paragraphs from the end, not apocryphal, true:
    http://www.npr.org/2007/09/05/14156541/charlie-parker-bird-lives-part-2

16. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

It took 30 posts to get to Jerry Lee??? He was the first one that came to mind.

17. SpinningInfinity

SpinningInfinity Forum Resident

I started playing in bands seriously...in 1987...so my date might have been off...I thought it was my third band...must have been number 2. I wasn't even 21 then....we'd sit outside the bar until we'd play.

we opened for Mudhoney, Tool, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, White Zombie and more...some things are a little blurry

:)

18. Raynie

Raynie Hyperactive!

Lena Horne, Burl Ives, Harry Belafonte

19. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Not really a blacklist or blackball, but Lorde's "Royals" apparently has been banned by San Francisco radio stations until the end of the World Series.

20. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

There's nothing on Wiki about any blackballing/blacklisting of Sloan except for Dunhill Records pressuring him to sign his rights away, a common practice in those times. It does mention about three decades of physical and mental problems. How was he blacklisted/blackballed?

21. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

The NFL also sued M.I.A.

22. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

As expected and deserved.

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The point of what? The post to which I replied claimed the Stones didn't change the lyrics and Ed Sullivan "blacklisted" them, but they did change the lyrics and appeared on Sullivan again a couple of years later...

24. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Well, the NFL lost no money and suffered no harm to their reputation by M.I.A. flashing her middle digit, so to me it's just a multibillion dollar corporation trying to crush someone because they can. I do think it was stupid of her to do that, though.

Lost In The Flood and MoonPool like this.
  25. hellion

hellion Forum Resident

regarding getting Elvis out of America

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.