Here we talk about: Lewis - L'Amour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thebunk, Apr 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I'm also checking out David Sylvian's solo material for the first time now. I have 'Gone to Earth' now up on Spotify and I can definitely hear how you may have been confused based on the description of Lewis.

Bryce likes this.
  2. nbakid2000

No, but that's on the list for today's listening though now.

3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Better start with "Brilliant Trees" and "Secrets Of The Beehive"....

Synthfreek and Bryce like this.
  4. nbakid2000

'Brilliant Trees' isn't on Spotify but 'Secrets...' is so that's also on the list for today. :)

5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

6. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member Thread Starter

I have no interest in these stripped down bluesy songs. I am convinced L'Amour is the underrated classic it is hyped to be ( especially Side A), jury is still out on Romantic Times and have disliked everything else since.

Amnesiac likes this.
  7. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I have to agree with you. I've been kind of forcing myself to listen to "Romantic Times" and it just sounds like some cheesy lothario to me so far. The drums and saxophones don't help, either.

D.B. likes this.
  8. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

9. thebunk

As the thread starter and a big fan of L'Amour (not that this gives my opinion any more weighting then anyone else), I think each release chips away at the story of Lewis bit by it. It does not help that each release is less in quality then the last (IMO). I thought it was cool when RT was found but now these other releases are coming out and to me, they are just bland, 6 minute long, slow accoustic blues songs. Not really my thing, and a world apart from the atmospheric, almost out time L'Amour. My two cents anyway.

BadJack and RelayerNJ like this.
  10. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

He should absolutely try to cash in (or whatever you'd call it when the audience is this small) while he's hot. But I don't think I'm going to search out this new one.

11. SoundAdvice

It's still only 3 albums. This "recent" one is a digital only release. AFAIK, none of the 3 releases are fully authorized.

12. thebunk

It is three but there was SO MUCH hype and mystery surrounding the first one. Then they found the second LP, then they found him. And then this 3rd one came out and I believe there more waiting in the wings. Also the style from L'Amour to RT to this new are so drastically different (and not in a good way in my opinion).

13. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

It certainly makes for an interesting topic. Once the mystique is lifted, does the music sound as good? I admit, I checked him out because the story was intriguing, and it certainly biased my opinion of it. However, from what I've heard, it still is somewhat interesting to me.

14. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I agree with you. For a guy I'd never even heard of before the summer, it feels strange to be saying, "I like his old stuff better," in October.

Sammy Waslow and Dudley Morris like this.
  15. thebunk

Have you listened to all of the releases thus far. Each lp sounds a world apart from the previous.

16. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

i haven't.

17. lowellmorris

lowellmorris Forum Resident

Finally picked up both of these records, after listening to them digitally since this all began. Romantic Times is an essential part of the Lewis story and doesn't chip away at the story at all, in my opinion. Love Ain't No Mystery seems like it was released by the Fiasco Bros studio to cash in on the Lewis hype parade, and isn't really worth checking out. Anyway, these LPs sound great! Light in the Attic has yet to disappoint me.

18. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

Yeah my pink copy of Romantic Times is on its way. Like the first two albums, not really interested in his other stuff.

19. SoundAdvice

20. A little Lewis humour for you. The seller of the original copy of the 2nd Lewis LP Romantic Times is also pretty good with Photoshop.

[​IMG] :laugh:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  21. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I want to know what his girlfriend from the cover of 'L'amour' has to say about all of this! She's fascinated me from the first time I saw those black and white pictures of the two of them together. Is that a bit creepy? Well, duh!

22. thebunk

I am more interested in the Christie Brinkley back story. Was it purely celeberty admiration from Lewis's perspective or was there something more there?

23. thebunk

Wow, love it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.