Bob Dylan's New Album - Shadows In The Night

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Critter, Jul 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Critter

Critter Hyperactive! Thread Starter

hodgo and jamiesjamies like this.
  2. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Great news, lets hope its up to the high standards he's set with the last few albums.

jamiesjamies likes this.
  3. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

I'm sure this has been posted before, but it went up in May, which is forever ago in SteveHoffman.tv time :laugh: but there's a Frank Sinatra cover that appears to be from this album posted at BobDylan.com. Well, of course a cover of a song that Sinatra covered...but a pretty faithful one to Frank's version. I REALLY like it. Sounds like it could have been on Love & Theft.

Licorice pizza and wave like this.
  4. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

Here's hoping this is not just a covers album but has some originals on it, too.

Paul McCartney's "Kisses On the Bottom" seems to have started a trend of rock legends doing standards which I could do without: "Clapton" had lots of them, Jeff Lynne's "Long Wave", too. Or maybe the trend hadn't even gotten into full swing before Robbie Williams' "Swings Both Ways"?

5. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

"Recent" trend, right? :) The first standards album I bought was A Little Touch of Schmilsson in the Night in 1973! That one worked really well. Willie Nelson's Stardust (1978) worked even better. (Rod Stewart's 8 standards and other covers albums since 2002, not so much.) I think Bob's a very underrated singer in general, especially in his 70s, but also an underrated interpreter. His Christmas album didn't work at all for me, but I'd like to see what he can do with more like this.

Not that I wouldn't prefer an album of originals, mind you....

somnar, Licorice pizza and noyoucmon like this.
  6. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

I think Rod Stewart can probably take most of the blame because of his huge selling Great American Songbook series of albums over the last decade or so. Seems odd that all these rockers are now embracing the very thing they were trying to escape from 50 years ago.

Not that the songs in themselves are not good but they ain't rock n roll.

Licorice pizza, samurai and Coricama like this.
  7. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Ringo started it!

somnar, JDeanB, Jjuanjo and 8 others like this.
  8. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Good point! Wasn't a hit though.

9. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Tin Pan Valley

I come from the tin pan valley and I'm moving right along
    I live on former glory, so long ago and gone
    I'm turning down the talk shows, the humour and the couch
    I'm moving up to higher ground - I've found a new way out

These parasols and barbecues and loungers by the pool
    The late night conversations filled with twentieth-century cool
    My peers may flirt with cabaret - some fake the rebel yell
    Me, I'm moving up to higher ground - I must escape their hell

Let me suspend my thirst for knowledge in your powder, sweat and sighs
    A grudge of Christian women - a stain of spotless wives
    A perfect destination inside a perfect world
    I take the bottle to the baby - you take the hammer to the pearl
    Like this - like this --

Every day's like Sunday, down here on memory lane
    Salad days and no good ways drive me quite insane
    A cocktail-clouded troubadour attempts to speak in tongues
    He's said enough - I'm through the door - I'm moving right along
    Like this - like this --

Songwriters
    PLANT, ROBERT / ADAMS, JUSTIN / TYSON, LIAM / DEAMER, CLIVE / FULLER, WILLIAM / BAGGOTT, JOHN

Published by
    Lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC

Read more: Robert Plant - Tin Pan Valley Lyrics | MetroLyrics

John B Good and IronWaffle like this.
  10. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

Well, I had thought that the "standards trend" had died down at some time between the 70s and today.
    Labelhead Clive Davis is very much responsible for this change in Rod Stewart's career path because he signed him to do exactly this kind of music. There are some billboards advertising Rod Stewart's next concert in town, and on the photos, he looks like a Barry Manilow imitator. His "Time" album turned out to have rather good music, though.
    Rod started doing standards at around the same time in the early 00s when Robbie Williams had a big success with "Swing When You're Winning" and Michael Bublé broke through.

It seems like those music publishers who own the Great American Songbook material know really well how to market their stuff. It may be boring but it probably makes a good return on investment.

11. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

12. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Hope this thread doesn't disappear like a shadow in the night.

13. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I think it was established in the previous thread that there are originals on this album. (Or at least that some have been recorded).

14. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I am imaging some guy putting on Dylan crooning standards to try and woo a girl at his place on a Friday night.

rockinlazys, waterisnat and noyoucmon like this.
  15. jamiesjamies

jamiesjamies Forum Resident

According to the "searching for a gem" website the release has been put back to the new year now as it's not in Sonys' autumn schedule. Bad news for us Bob fans, I genuinely believed it was imminent. Anybody have any further news?

16. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

I was really hoping to see Bob play Monday - Thursday and buy a new Bob album on the release day at the end of the week (next Friday) since he's in town all next week and I'm going to all 4 shows.
    Would have made an amazing week of Bob!
    Oh well. Just another instance of a fan bring let down by a major label!

17. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

This cracked me up. (Not because 20 years ago it would have been me)

18. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

Oh man, lucky devil. Have fun!

jumpinjulian likes this.
  19. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

For what's it's worth, on a rumour thread for shadows in the night (expectingrain). IMO I think it's true, fellow provided very specific information which obviously can be corroborated in due time. If true, this is very exciting!

First post:
    These are most of the tunes recorded by Bob and his current band (with guitarist Dean Parks added for a few tunes) during the sessions at Capitol recorded during Jan/Feb this year:

All Or Nothing At All
    All The Way
    Autumn Leaves
    Come Rain Or Come Shine
    Didn’t He Ramble
    Full Moon And Empty Arms
    I’m A Fool To Want You
    It Had To Be You
    Maybe You’ll Be There
    Melancholy Baby
    On A Little Street In Singapore
    Polkadots and Moonbeams
    Skylark
    Some Enchanted Evening
    Stay With Me
    Stormy Weather
    That Lonely Old Sun
    That Old Black Magic
    The Night They Called It A Day
    What’ll I Do
    Why Try To Change Me Now

I have no idea what made the cut for the final released version of Shadows In The Night nor do I know the actual release date. But some of this stuff is flat out amazing!

Second post:

it's legit and sorry for the typo on The Night We Called It A Day. My mistake. Can I give all the details on HOW I know? No. And as I mentioned before, I don't know how much of what was recorded will end up on Shadows. Possibly all of it ... only Bob knows on that score.
    The engineer was the great Al Schmidt and Bob, as usual, was out in the studio with the rest of his band during tracking, no isolation of his vocals used.

I'm really looking forward to this, whenever they deem to release it!

20. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Dylan recorded at Capitol? Interesting.

21. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Hey Bob how about an actual beginning to end GREAT album of all original material, i know there's another ''Time Out Of Mind'' in you somewhere.

osbie feel likes this.
  22. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I hav
    I have always dreamt about Dylan singing Stormy Weather and Polka dots and moonbeams -seems that this dream finally will come true. This album will sit nicely next to the wondrous Christmas in the heart-antisinging at the very best
    And I truly love Dylan Imagine Bob Singing this one-just imagine

23. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Since time out of mind, bob has released 4 albums of original material. If bob wants to release a covers album so be it. I'm sure he does this for his own creative purposes and there will probably be another new album of original material in the next few years. Enjoy the ride, there will never be another artist like this.

24. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I saw that post at ER yesterday and it certainly has the ring of authenticity. However, I was so underwhelmed with Full Moon that I find it hard to get excited for an album of material in that vein. I have quite a bit of old Capitol-era Sinatra, and like much of it. I have all Dylan's studio albums (and more) and like much of it. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that I think this is a great idea. Sounds like another Christmas In The Heart to me - aka, a misguided project, which detracts from Bob working on the art I appreciate of his.

Tensilversaxes and Jerryb like this.
  25. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

No release date ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.