Neil Diamond All-Time Greatest Hits CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Jul 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

2. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Well, it always seems like the Japanese release comps with more tracks or bonus tracks, so I'm not surprised this is a 2-CD set. Yes, I agree though...there is no guarantee the mastering will be any better than the U.S. releases and we don't know what the source will be for this release, but I suspect the only way to find out will be to buy it.

Yes, Universal should have released a 2-CD set here, not just a single disc which leaves so many good songs out, but if Bernie Becker had remastered a 2-CD set, we might still not be too happy with that one either.

I generally stick with U.S. CD releases though, as I have found that some EU or Japan versions don't sound the same, for various reasons.

3. Futurecity

But don't the later comps have the more comprehensive track listings?

For his Bang and Columbia hits, I believe I have found what is the most normal/natural sounding release (with near-perfect tone)...which is The Greatest Hits 1966-1992, first-issue from 1992 (Columbia). Not the one in print today, which has been tweaked with NR, but the first year issue.

Of course, that release does not contain his MCA studio hits though.

When you say this comp sounds great to your ears, is that in comparison to other comps you have?

4. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

I bought it at the same time as 'The Essential Neil Diamond" (Columbia 2001) which is a Joseph Palmaccio mastering and for whom I have great respect, but in a/b's the "Collection" actually won out for me, I just preferred it, sure it's not as comprehensive but for the £2.99 it cost it's an utter bargain, and then some.

5. Futurecity

Sounds good, yeah, always stick with the one that wins out!

Interesting, I never picked up the ESSENTIAL 2-CD set, but it does have Heartlight on it!

I really don't need it though, as the 1966-1992 comp has a lot of the same Bang and Columbia tracks. I have found these Columbia "Essential" comps to be hit and miss though where the audio is concerned, except for the Barbra Streisand one (which sounds really nice to me), but all of the others that I've heard had tone or normalizing issues IMO, like the John Denver comp. ELO's 2-CD Essential is extremely heavily compressed...it's a bit heavy sounding....I never play it anymore.

6. Futurecity

Keith, have you had time to sample IN MY LIFETIME since picking it up? That is the one release (boxed set) which I am most curious to hear your comments on. It's still a keeper for those unreleased tracks and early singles/demos, but SQ wise, was never a stellar box.

7. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Is the good sounding GH II the Columbia CK 38068 from 1990 (according to Discogs.com) with the compact disc logo on the front artwork?

8. Futurecity

I don't own the good sounding GH Vol.2 CD anymore, so not sure. I only own the good sounding 1966-1992 2CD comp from 1992.

9. Futurecity

Well, today I finally picked up that exclusive HOT AUGUST NIGHT Walmart single CD edition, called "Favorites From Hot August Night"...it has 16 tracks, two of them unreleased (although these can now be found on "Deluxe"). I've never heard the original MCA discs (which I'm sure sound very normal and nice), but this Walmart CD sounded OK to me...it was a pleasant enough listen. The CD is a bit loud, but not brickwalled...I was able to enjoy it at my normal highest volume level, although did turn it down just 1 notch during a few songs.

It was a good pick up for $9.00 and I might be interested in the 2-CD Deluxe Edition as well, if the price ever comes down a little.

10. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

Pick this up today and you are spot on! Sound is shockingly fantastic. Now I see that they are about to rerelease some of, if not all of the back catalog. If they are as good as the tracks on this comp I'm in for spending a small fortune as I like a lot of his stuff!

Rick H. likes this.
  11. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

I hadn't seen an official announcement that Universal would be reissuing Neil Diamond albums, though it obviously makes sense. Do you have a link? I wonder if they will be recycling Sony's masters or if they will be remastering his catalog.

12. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

There are several titles coming out in late November plus a 2 disc version of the hits disc, but I have not seen a track listing for the 2 disc version.

13. Futurecity

They just released the single disc GH CD, now the people who bought that will be faced with a 2-CD version, that we wanted initially anyway?

14. Futurecity

I believe after repeat listens though, I later posted that this new 2014 Capitol comp does have some audio issues after-all...mainly, that it's lacking normal tone...all of the tracks sound a bit normalized and the same. The 2010 Columbia comp...The Very Best Of, has much better tone, but is too bright IMO...you just can't win these days.

15. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

I respect you opinion, but mine would be different. I find this comp to be a better sound than my copy of The Very Best. Great Music either way!

16. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

Just going off what I read on MusicTap's site. A real Diamond fan and pretty connected.

17. Futurecity

Yes, I will say this...the 2014 comp definitely uses better, more original master-tapes perhaps, and the sound is striking...very clear, so it does have unique audio and you can tell it's a better source this time!

Peachy likes this.
  18. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

That's the one!

UPC is 074643806824

19. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak New Member

Question for owners of the All-Time Greatest Hits CD: Are the tracks all stereo mixes or both stereo and mono? If some are mono, which ones? THANKS!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  20. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

Here's the track listing for the 2 disc version which comes out next week.... but no "Walk on Water" What??? Also the track order is a mess.

CD #1:

BROOKLYN ROADS
    SHILO
    BROTHER LOVE’S TRAVELING SALVATION SHOW
    GLORY ROAD
    SWEET CAROLINE
    HOLLY HOLY
    SOLITARY MAN
    FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS
    AND THE GRASS WON’T PAY NO MIND
    SOOLAIMON
    I AM…I SAID
    CRUNCHY GRANOLA SUITE
    STONES
    PLAY ME
    DONE TOO SOON
    KENTUCKY WOMAN
    MORNINGSIDE
    YOU DON’T BRING ME FLOWERS (ORIGINAL SOLO VERSION)
    SONG SUNG BLUE
    SOMETHING BLUE
    CRACKLIN’ ROSIE

CD #2

CHERRY, CHERRY
    I’M A BELIEVER
    GIRL, YOU’LL BE A WOMAN SOON
    YOU GOT TO ME
    LOVE ON THE ROCKS
    LONGFELLOW SERENADE
    I’VE BEEN THIS WAY BEFORE
    BEAUTIFUL NOISE
    RED, RED WINE
    SEPTEMBER MORN
    HELLO AGAIN
    AMERICA
    DESIREE
    WE
    YESTERDAY’S SONGS
    HEARTLIGHT
    PRETTY AMAZING GRACE
    THE BOAT THAT I ROW
    THANK THE LORD FOR THE NIGHT TIME
    HELL YEAH
    IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN

Peachy likes this.
  21. Futurecity

I like the tracklisting, but not happy that I recently picked up the single disc comp, not knowing that this 2-CD set was coming out in the U.S. soon after. Might not get this, unless the SQ turns out to be amazing.

22. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

Isn't it likely that the sound quality would be similar to the single disc? Do you like the single disc sound quality?

23. Futurecity

I have mixed feelings about the SQ on the single disc. While the source seems to be the best master-tapes so far and the clarity is wonderful, the songs also have a normalized sterile tone IMO. If the 2-CD set is similar, I won't get it, but if the individual tone and bass is restored to the tracks, I might.

I didn't see the 2-CD set listed on amazon yet...where did you see the tracklisting?

24. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

25. ricks

ricks Senior Member

It is excellent sounding, and received my coveted recommendation :) Got one this past weekend for $1 . Not sure if artwork or cat num is definitive way of determining as Columbia was known for "secret" remasters. Mine is an early DADC , matrix = DIDP 20010 41A19

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.