Watched it for the first time and I say we need: The MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR FILM Appreciation Thread!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by crispi, Oct 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist Thread Starter

I just had the pleasure of seeing the MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR TV special for the first time! After having read so much criticism on this forum I was expecting something utterly bad.

But it wasn't! Not only did I enjoy it a lot, but in terms of entertainment and filmic value I would rank it higher than some of their other films. To be honest, I'd rather watch this instead of having to put up with that horrific grandfather figure in HARD DAY'S NIGHT again.

It's not a masterpiece in terms of cinematography and story (what story?), but it's the very nuttiness and sense of controlled chaos that made it so very enjoyable! What struck me most is the quality of the editing. Some of the sequences leading right in and out of the songs are very very well-crafted in terms of filmic montage. It's a great piece of avant-garde filmmaking.

So, does anybody else like the film?

2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

That's good to hear.
    You know, sometimes having the reinforcement of something being 'soooo bad', makes you go into something, and giving it 'underdog' value.
    I saw the film when I was very young; I still remember the look and feel of the basement of the public library I saw it in. Me, and a bunch of older, stoner kids.... mouths ajar with wonder; Why did they make this?
    So, in the end, to quote Mr Burns, "I don't know much about art, but I know what I hate..... and I don't hate this."
    It gave me a love for 'bold experiments', like "Cloud Atlas", a few years ago.

3. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist Thread Starter

I believe the negative reactions come primarily from people having watched and experienced the film back in 1967. I can understand the expectations were high for anything the Beatles did after Sgt. Pepper's and surely they weren't met, at least not those of the most fans. I totally get why it's hard to part with the negative feelings and disappointment, but I think it makes for too much negativity.

But seeing the film without any expectations and the emotional baggage attached to having been a first-hand fan is a different experience, as one only judges the film on its filmic merits. It's just an experimental film, nothing more nothing less. And quite a fun one at that. That, and the fact that freakin' THE BEATLES are in it :cool:

4. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

This film was a staple late at night on the USA Network's weekend cable block, Night Flight, during the 1980's.

gramfan likes this.
  5. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I think that actually is where I first saw it.

I recently watched the blu-ray, and I have to admit I skipped to just the music parts. But definitely worth the price of admission for just those.

Drifter and forthlin like this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

VHS has the G Martin stereo mix.

7. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

The music clips in MMT are clearly the highlight (and the album is great), but the rest of the movie is not enjoyable, and even painful at times. My reaction having watched it when the blu-ray came out was "what were they thinking?".

Comparing MMT to a AHDN? In my opinion, that's similar to the Beach Boys originally packaging 'Carl and the Passions - "So Tough"' with 'Pet Sounds'. In both cases, the latter only serves to make the former seem even worse in direct comparison. But if others really like MMT, great!

8. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

It's a lot fun, if you can suppress the reflex to draw comparisons and just let it be what it is - a home movie, made by fabulously stoned Beatles.

9. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Actually this in incorrect for the Apple VHS issue of the film. The VHS has the excellent Ron Furmanek stereo mix. Ron himself addressed this on this very forum. He also gives the reason that George Martin was incorrectly listed as doing the remixes on the VHS box. (They didn't want to hurt his feelings!)

Here's a link to Ron's post: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...the-making-of-love.121930/page-2#post-2771324

10. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

2nd (?) VHS release (1988) has Ron Furmanek remix of songs (!) and incidental music, including the definitive "Jessie's Dream", and remastered film elements, of which, parts look better on my 25 year old copy than on the latest DVD reissue.

It should also be noted---AVOID the 1997 DVD version of MMT----it is inferior to the 1988 VHS/Beta/LD version in every respect.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    Vahan and dewey02 like this.
  11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The blu ray soundtrack doesn't have "Roll up" at the beginning of MMT ( freakin ridick).

12. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

It is what it is.

13. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

I've always thought that most of the non-musical sequences go on for too long but I saw it on one of the cinema screenings a few years back and enjoyed it then more than I ever had watching it at home.

14. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

They had better popcorn??

15. To add to what I've highlighted, I feel it also is due to it being shown on Boxing Day when I'd guess family viewers would have expected something not as 'out there' as MMT. Add to that it being shown on that day in B&W.

For a TV show I enjoy it. Although I'm partial to psychedelic music/film/TV.

16. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

I've never enjoyed it. I've even seen fans' attempts to edit it into something manageable (there's a nice extended version with SFF, Penny Lane and A Day In The Life inserted into it rather brilliantly), but even those were just unbearable.

For me, it's just up there with 200 Motels and Head - fantastic music, terrible movies. (The only difference being, 200 Motels had an excuse for being unintelligible.)

17. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Magical Mystery Tour made lemonade from lemons. ("Hey mates," said Paul. "I've got a great idea! Let's rent a bus, hire some actors and a film crew, bring along some friends and family, go down to the West Country and film whatever happens. It will be smashing Boxing Day television!")

I assume you mean trying to film a very thick score in six days. As for Head, you have to understand it's surrealist satire disguised as psychedelia.

18. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

It shouldn't be gone into expecting "a coherent Feature Film"... it's not really a "movie". Today it works as what might be considered "A Video of The Album". It's a glimpse into the stoned psychedelic Sixties, a time capsule. It is easily enjoyable whenever the songs are being played, and the zaniness transpiring all around it in between can be fun too, if taken in that spirit.

crispi likes this.
  19. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

I do love it, although I would certainly have kept the Ivor Cutler clip 'I'm Going In A Field' in, as well as the John Lennon directed Nat Jackley beauty pageant. Both would have seriously added to the film.

20. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Well yeah, the fact that much of the plot never saw the light of day due to the film's ridiculous limitations.

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I first saw "MMT" at a Georgetown revival house in 1980. I was 13 and a massive Beatles fan. I knew of the movie's reputation but I was still excited to see it - it was the Beatles, so it had to be great, right?

My reaction can't be repeated in an appreciation thread - and it's not changed with repeated viewings since 1980! :)

22. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Head would probably be in my top 100 favorite films, if I were to compile that list.

Horses for courses, as they say.

23. Abbey Road

Abbey Road Well-Known Member

I've had the Deluxe Blu-ray Box for a while and never really watched it the remastered version. (I probably last saw it when I was a kid over 20 years ago.) Now, I have a 2-year old daughter (whose name happens to be "Abbey Road") and she has been loving MMT. She mimics everything she sees, so it's hilarious to watch her nod in sync to Paul nodding, just before Fool on the Hill starts... and things like that. It's horrible show, but I love watching it through her eyes nonetheless.

But then again she also loves watching the Rooftop Concert on my Let It Be DVD too, and that is the last thing I would ever think to be visually stimulating to a 2-year old. Her favorite song is Don't Let Me Down, and the first time we watched the rooftop and it started, it was like watching Beatlemania for the first time. She was so happy. She barely speaks sentences, but she sings along just fine!

Of course, her favorite is Yellow Submarine (in addition to Schoolhouse Rock, The Point, Sesame Street and Curious George).

[For the record, even with a daughter named "Abbey Road," I still think there are way too many Beatles threads in this forum!]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  24. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Bought super deluxe set for $20. It was worth it. Handsome.

First saw movie in mid-80's. Rented from video store. It was interesting. I like performances. a lot of it is kooky nonsense. I like "Mother Should Know".

25. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

If it was actually directed, as opposed to being made up on the spot, it would have made for a fine Monty Python film. As it is, MMT was better realized by the Rutles:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.