Sound & Vision - David Bowie appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baron Von Talbot, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Just listening to CD 3of this 4 CD set in one row from CD1 to now at the end of CD 3 and boy these songs do sound fine. From early attempts to Hunky Dory highlights, Pin Up's, David Live, Ziggy Stardust (Live versions) and a bunch of non album takes - even 2 songs from BAAL but the fun never stops. OTC. There are so many Hits that are forever burnt in my brain, sing along stuff, impressive hooks and arrangements, mellow stuff like Warszawa (live 1978). time flies by, when having fun.
    This is a box set that is both affordable and delivers all killers no fillers. Bowie is probaly the single most efficient Rock Pop Star of the 20th century ...

2. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

I respectfully disagree. Yes, there are some great tracks in it and a generous number of rarities. But some essential songs are missing while inferior live versions are included. And also a few odd choices. It is usually assumed that a box set includes the best material of a certain artist, but this is not the case here. Where are "Life on Mars?", "Starman", "Let's Dance" and other obligatory hits? The fact is that this is NOT a "best of" package. It was originally put together in 1989 as a sort of sampler for the upcoming Rykodisc reissues. But some tracks seem to have been chosen at random, for no particular reason. Casual fans looking for a definite compilation should opt for "The Platinum Collection" instead.

3. Totally agree. I love this set.

Halloween_Jack likes this.
  4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Leaving off Life on Mars or Starman on any multi disc Bowie overview is ridiculous. Both are among his best songs. Leaving off Let's Dance, while kind of odd, doesn't bother me in the slightest...

5. Dbstay

Dbstay Senior Member

This is my 1989 Ryko set:

[​IMG]

imarcq, AlienRendel and 3rd Uncle Bob like this.
  6. gazatthebop

gazatthebop Forum Resident

I want the Young Americans out-take but do not intend to buy a 4 cd set for it!

7. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I like the eclectic nature of this set personally - there are already a number of Bowie hits collections available (just a few!).

Full disclosure, I cherry picked the live tracks, rarities and remixes off of iTunes so it is a stand alone digital album in my Bowie collection.

8. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

Yes, the rarities are actually the only reason for buying this set. Incidentally, the original 1989 edition had live tracks on the CDV (5" laserdisc including audio material playable on any CD player) that were not included in the latest reissues. But then, a few more rare tracks were added.

9. badsneakers

badsneakers Well-Known Member

I think there are several out-takes on the Young Americans RYKO CD from around 1991. Most of those CD's have extra tracks.

10. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I like all the RYKO CD's from the early 1990's. I thought that they were very well planned.

drasil, Halloween_Jack and Quincy like this.
  11. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I like it. Sounds good and it's update nicely. $26 on Amazon!

12. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

There are some indispensable tracks on this set, still not available anywhere else afaik.

13. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member Thread Starter

It may not be the ultimate collection and some tunes are not among the best in Bowie's huge catalog but that's not the point I want to make. The fact that i really like 9 out of 109 tunes a lot and the way they float along from very very old to classic with about 5 or so unknown tunes from CD 1 to CD 3 makes this a set I liked a lot on my initial listen. It sells for 19.95 at amazon.de and comes with a booklet with 100 pages. So this package is a nice offer for the Bowie fan. If you already own ALL his releases incl. David Live, STAGE , BAAL and the few soundtrack outtakes you can skip it like the regular Best Of. This is NOT a Best Of but this makes it more interesting for us Bowie collectors.
    One tune I miss is Real Cool World ..

14. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

Ditto - I LOVE this set (though I very rarely find myself playing the fourth disc).

15. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

A new version was released last month. Thoughts on the sound quality, anyone?

16. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

This is what I was referring to. Sounds fine to me.

17. Mine is the original Ryoko. Sound great to me

imarcq likes this.
  18. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

With a somewhat different track listing too.

Bowie Fett likes this.
  19. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Does anyone have a list of what tracks are only available on this set?

20. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

My favorites are

"After Today" and "London Bye Ta-Ta"

Bowie Fett likes this.
  21. Bowie Fett

I'm wondering if the new version (and the new best-of in November) contains new remastering. Remasters were planned for 2013 (2015 will be a good year).

22. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Sounds like it.

23. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Looks like there are 24 extra tracks added to the end of the original '89 track list on the latest version.

24. Bowie Fett

An improvement over the Ryko set, in regards to sound?

25. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

Weird that the re release is being put out so close to this new collection. Canabalize sales? Confuse the marketplace? Or just hoping someone will buy them all like me. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.