The IT Crowd - US remake!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Love the British show and hope they can pull it off....

I will give it a solid shot.

2. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I have no problem whatsoever with someone trying to adapt this to US television. It's not like IT Crowd has an enormous library of content or anything - it produced 24 total episodes and a final special. And don't give me that "quality over quantity" stuff - there are quite a few "meh" episodes in there, too.

All that said, IT Crowd is one of my favorite Brit-coms, ever. The likelihood of a US remake being as funny - or funnier - is very low, but I'm not going to bad-mouth it without actually seeing it first. Who knows? Maybe they'll capture lightning in a bottle. Stranger things have happened in the history of TV.

3. Django

Django Forum Resident

Why don't they just show the original? The world is a smaller place now. They are speaking english. Why remake it?
    Or do the TV executives just don't believe the american public will understand it?

Most of these remakes are bad. Case in point: The Office. The original is a classic. The american version is ****in rubbish.

4. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Unfortunately, in the US anyone with a British accent is limited to appearing on PBS.

Natvecal. and drasil like this.
  5. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

There is one valid argument I can think of, which is the number of episodes. There are 25 episodes (one being an hour long, so basically 26) of The IT Crowd, which would only fill a single "season" in the US. Still, it'd surely be a lot cheaper to grab a great show for a season than trying to remake it and inevitably fail.

6. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Oh yeah, absolutely. Why come up with your own concept when you can buy someone else's concept?

The certain thing is that they will probably add in a romantic twist to the series, with two characters wanting to date each other, but with obstacles that keep it from happening (as a tease factor, so audiences will keep waiting to see if they'll get together or not). It will probably be more like "Friends" in an IT department setting than it will be like the original series, if my prediction is correct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.