Neil Young readies Pono music service for expansion Part 3

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stereoptic, Mar 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident

2. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

They do play but don't seem to be working for iOS or at least safari currently.

sallymae_hogsby likes this.
  3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

That is how I got on last night! Previously my Dell laptop with Windows 7 has at times worked for me, and other times it hasn't.

sallymae_hogsby likes this.
  4. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

To be fair, the site is still in beta, and says so right on the page. I think it's kind of awesome to see things as they develop, with new albums and features being added.
    First wave of Kickstarter backed hardware won't be fully shipped out until mid-November, anyway, with remaining devices going out in Dec/Jan.

Take the time to make sure it's done right the first time...why the hurry?

5. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Is this Neil being funny, or is he serious?

6. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

Anyone see him on Colbert? The interview was painful. The performance was fun though.

He brought out the Pono player and was completely inarticulate when Stephen asked why people should buy it.

Mazzy likes this.
  7. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

The whole Pono thing is getting worse by the day.......

ls35a likes this.
  8. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

If that thing turns out to sound great, not just good, compared to the competition all of this doesn't matter. If it really delivers when hooked up to a hifi system, then it will fly. It is never gonna be in everyone's pocket but if it has the edge soundwise... The shape and lack of DSD compability is no problem. It could still turn out to deliver for the money. Use your ears. As for me, I know my turntable delivers!

9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Indeed. Neil can be a peculiar interview and can come off like a caricature of a 60's musician as he did here.

10. Kimmyrocker

Kimmyrocker Forum Resident

Here is Neil speaking at my company's Dreamforce conference on Thursday:

Neil starts speaking at 5:35

EVOLVIST and crispi like this.
  11. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Why is thing thing so clunky? Is there some reason for it's shape? This is not going to help sales.

12. hotmagnets

hotmagnets Well-Known Member

to fit the larger caps in the onboard amp
    i can't see the online store succeeding but i could see myself using it at home if it sounds noticeably better than streaming services/ipods

13. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

So it needs to be bigger for the components inside? Can't wait to hear the reviews (especially here).

14. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

Recently added Pink Floyd:
    https://ponomusic.force.com/ccrz__C...tails&aId=of:b12a908e7e224f6892fee6a8210b7d02

Crowded House:
    https://ponomusic.force.com/ccrz__C...tails&aId=of:d89ce50ff32549bf89855d856480422e

Eagles:
    https://ponomusic.force.com/ccrz__C...tails&aId=of:cf95aaf646df4c9caa8876169c5c03c4

Stevie Nicks:
    https://ponomusic.force.com/ccrz__C...tails&aId=of:ecf1414f7d694b33b7a759fa5fb8ba6a

AC/DC:
    https://ponomusic.force.com/ccrz__C...tails&aId=of:659ddda6f70a4f278c3ee210db3195ac

Still no Queen, Led Zeppelin, Steve Miller Band

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  15. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Has anyone heard any rumors about pricing yet?

16. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

Funny, I see it just the opposite. I fail to see the player being much of anything with so much competition on the market and the speed at which advances are being made. By the time they get this player out to the public it will be behind the curve if it isn't already.
    Whereas, the store has a lot of potential to offer greater lossless content not yet available anywhere else, let alone price and functionality.

17. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

Where's the Beatles selection?

18. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

The Beatles are exclusive to iTunes for digital music sales, at least for now.

19. Stereosound

Nothing concrete yet. However just before the Beta site was up I did see prices for individual tracks at $1.99 one album (don't remember which one) around $14 I think and the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Playback box set at around $70 or give or take. Resolutions were not listed at that time and probably won't be until the store is out of beta mode. Certain kickstarter backers will be allowed in soon so more info. should be forthcoming soon as some players supposedly should be shipping by next week sometime. Full AC/DC catalog is available, Pink Floyd potentially the 2011 remasters were just listed, full Stevie Nicks, some but not all Eagles as well.

JeffMo likes this.
  20. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Guys, the more I think about this the more red I see.

NY has been pushing this 'oh, we get you back to the music' b.s. forever and what is it? Just another way to sell cd's without the cd.

This is going to be 95% 16/44 rips. What a screw up this is.

21. Chauncey

Chauncey Forum Resident

I think the stuff available on HDTracks will be available in Hi-Res. The rest will be 16/44. The store has content that is virtually identical to qobuz.com.

22. Stereosound

The Doors were just listed including the mono version of the self titled album.

23. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

Fantastic, I can't understand why anyone gives a hoot about hirez other than a better mastering. I sure can't tell a difference. I would rather pay less for the redbook with great mastering.

goodiesguy, Leigh, MartinR and 3 others like this.
  24. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

There is no "better mastering" on the redbook CD, though, and that's precisely the point. In fact, there seems to be a trend with hi-res releases, especially for the past 4-6 months. If you, as a consumer, know nothing, or see no point in getting flustered over common practices such as dynamic range compression or excessive peak limiting, there are a number of existing formats (including redbook), at various quality levels, presently available to you.

There also exists, however, an exceedingly small (but growing) subset of music listeners for whom the above mentioned practices are considered highly disrespectful to the music they love. I'm certainly not judging level of passion or fandom here, simply saying that some view this as more of a problem than others, that's all. For particular this group, the industry has seen fit to make available, at a premium, of course, the ability to purchase that same new release recording sans the compression. Pearl Jam, Dream Theater, Jack White, Opeth, and Weezer are but a few examples of acts who have recently released albums in this manner. If these things are an issue to you, pay more for the high-res and get your non-compressed master, period.

All of this is not to say dynamic range will automatically be staggering, but, at the very least, it seems you can be somewhat assured of a master that isn't so hot that it literally sizzles and distorts. Just one opinion.

Nielsoe likes this.
  25. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

It's never going to be in ANYONE'S pocket, since it's shaped like a desktop name bar.

Nielsoe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.