James Brown remasters?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A1Troublesome, Sep 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A1Troublesome

A1Troublesome New Member Thread Starter

Hello to all the people in this forum. I just signed up here but I've been reading a lot of threads since last year...I really wanted to know something about David Bowie remasters :laugh: and you guys helped me to decide that day!

Today I cried when I was watching ''It's a Man World'' performance... and I came to the conclusion that it's such a shame that they don't remaster some of James Brown's original albums nowadays... I guess that the labels don't care...why there's no SHM-CD editions or something for Brown? It's sad when I hear James Brown flat, without dynamics (sound wise), especially since it's Funk and it should sound hard in my opinion... like Straight Outta Compton or something like that, lol. I'm so lost and sometimes it's hard to find what I want on Discogs.com

The funny thing is that I downloaded GTA San Andreas game soundtrack and I found out that the tracks they used of J.B.'s, James Brown & Lyn Collins were mixed extremely better than the versions of the actual albums remasters. It's like I feel cheated a little bit with this.

It seems like I never find the definitive release of a J. Brown album, well, it turns out that the day after I listen a track of the supposed ''definitive remaster'', but there's always a better mix of the same song in a compilation...things like that happens every day to me, lol. It's a chaos. I always have to resort to compilations...and honestly, to me, that's sad cause I like to listen to full abums...not random playlists.

I had to get ''In the Jungle Groove'' expanded version because it had the 70s funk tracks that I've always loved, and I was very pleased with the mixing because it had that punch and it sounded bright. But anyway, my question is:

What is the best reissue in terms of quality? What you guys recommend me?

Thanks

PS 1: I'm finding 90s remasters of the OG albums at Discogs...are they good as the 00's compilations sound wise? Anyone who gots them? for example:

http://www.discogs.com/James-Brown-There-It-Is/release/617613

http://www.discogs.com/James-Brown-Say-It-Loud-Im-Black-And-Im-Proud/release/558866

(Can't judge... I didn't hear these remasters)

PS 2: No one can't bring the ''Why you care about that? James Brown only had singles so it is not worth it to have his albums reissued'' stupid argument. Most of the times, people don't know s___ about James Brown. He had real material, he was a real serious artist and very disciplined. I guess when you don't know history you know nothing. If you listen chronologically to the albums, they are super enjoyable...and what it is most important, you get the context of his eras. Anyway, his music talks for him so I'm not here to discuss his talent. Thanks people :righton:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
    Hep Alien, PhoffiFozz, zebop and 3 others like this.
  2. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Personally, I have Star Time, the four circa 1996 2 CD sets (Foundations of Funk, Make it Funky, Funk Power: A Brand New Thang (1 CD), and Dead on the Heavy Funk), In The Jungle Groove, Motherlode, the JB's Anthology and the 3 Funky People sets...I'm good.

Hep Alien and SOONERFAN like this.
  3. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

James Brown is awesome. I bought original pressings of It's a Mother and Hot Pants a few years ago and love them. I also bought three of the singles collection cds that Hip-O Select put out.

4. A1Troublesome

A1Troublesome New Member Thread Starter

So no OG albums?

5. RoyalScam

He's an artist served well by comps, IMO.

6. tomd

tomd Senior Member

I have a Japanese SHM-CD best of.Sounds great!

7. crimpies

crimpies Forum Resident

I have all the two disc Singles comps volumes 1-11. That's just a little under 24 hours of material, which I have really enjoyed. What else would y'all recommend?

8. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Live at the Apollo - Mobile Fidelity version

Turmatic, Bender Rodriguez and rxcory like this.
  9. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

The Dennis Drake-mastered 80's Polydor/PolyGram CDs aren't too bad in terms of SQ (CD of JB, CD of JB II, Live At The Apollo '67, etc...), but there are a few tracks on those comps where they chose a different version (mono vs. stereo, single vs. album edit, early fade-out) than I would have liked to hear. Still, they're a dime-a-dozen so so it's pretty easy to grab them in a used record shop or whatever.

ultron9 likes this.
  10. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

imo James Brown is one of the key figures of music in the 20th Century. Brilliant R 'n' B performer, great Soul performer then invented funk and possibly rap. He influence is immense, up there with a few others only. Only ignorant people see him as just a dancing guy with the odd good tune.

Anyway, it would be nice to get one of those complete album collections. I know some of the early albums are a bit of a mess as they feature material from different years and stuff like that, seemed like King just cobbled them together on a whim. But an artist so important derserves to have all his material out there.

11. Steve626

Steve626 Forum Resident

I'm a big fan of the long versions of some of his songs, so I go for the comps that have 'em - Foundations of Funk, Funk Power, Make It Funky, Jungle Groove. Add Star Time, a couple of oncerts of your choice and you're off to a good start with Mr. Brown.

12. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

is it that, or is it that the labels don't exist anymore? Is it clear who owns the rights to the late '60s-'70s albums? I agree that a well done reissue series would seem like a sure thing.

13. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

After viewing the recent bio-pic "Get On Up" I was so impressed with the audio quality, I bought the sound track disc, which also includes some unreleased live tracks not in the movie. It may be a little compressed but the fidelity and performances are great. I'm really enjoying it.

14. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

The Dennis Drake mastered CDs sound the best to me. I like the 1996 2 CD sets for the material (Foundations of Funk, Make it Funky, Funk Power: A Brand New Thang (1 CD), and Dead on the Heavy Funk), but they sound a bit bright and compressed to me. The original CDs are also preferred for Motherlode and In a Jungle Groove.

SOONERFAN, Sneaky Pete and leshafunk like this.
  15. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

I would love to see a vinyl re-issue of all of James Brown's LPs. I have the Star Time (CD) box set and it sounds excellent.

16. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I think the CD issues sound pretty good, including the five-star STAR TIME box. The '70s funk odds n' ends collections, IN THE JUNGLE GROOVE and MOTHERLODE, were remastered, but the originals sounded fine.

I'd recommend buying STAR TIME to cover the studio highlights, augmented with IN THE JUNGLE GROOVE and MOTHERLODE for funkaholics, and then the following live albums:

LIVE AT THE APOLLO
    LIVE AT THE APOLLO II
    SAY IT LIVE & LOUD
    SEX MACHINE
    LOVE POWER PEACE
    REVOLUTION OF THE MIND

After that, there's a large selection of themed comps, original album reissues, a complete singles collection, side projects, etc.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    SOONERFAN, Sneaky Pete and Hep Alien like this.
  17. RoyalScam

BUT, there are additional tracks on the remasters, so you have to weigh and measure that. I chose quantity, and frankly I don't think the remasters of those titles are that bad.

Rocker likes this.
  18. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

Having James Brown not in your collection,is like not having a heartbeat.

19. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

I was about to start a new thread, but then I realised my question shall fit this topic very well.

Recently 12 of James Brown albums were reissued by Universal Japan at very nice price.
    Cat. Nos. are UICY-76581 to UICY-765923.
    Here's the link to the list of these CDs, all out on September 24th:
    List of J.B. CDs on CDJapan

I can see that all of these were previously released in Japan as mini-LPs, some in 2003 and then some in 2007.
    Do you know if these new re-issues are identical (in terms of mastering) to those OOP mini-LPs?
    I have a few of those older mini-LPs and like their sonics.

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I just picked up the 20 Greatest Hits 2 lp. One of the all time great compilations. Was hesitant because I wasn't sure wow great these were recorded and knew nothing about the mastering, but I'm glad I splurged. Excellent sounding set! Inside label states that it was mastered at Sterling from the original analog tapes (forget the engineer). Flat, quiet, heavy vinyl (only wish it was gatefold jacket). If anyone else is on the fence, it's recommended!

21. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I saw some really nice looking James Brown LP reissues the other day at my local shop. I know one was In A Jungle Groove, and think that the 20 Greatest Hits was there as well. Has anyone heard these? I can't believe there were no posts, when I ran a search.

mooseman likes this.
  22. Allen R

Allen R Forum Resident

I agree with A1 Troublesome that JB's catalog is a bit of a mess. I haven't heard the GTA tracks but I would love to. Anyway, I do think Polydor has done a respectable job, and they have involved people that really care about the catalog, like Alan Leeds and Cliff White.

Remasters vary greatly. For example, the song Cold Sweat is all over the place. Some good sounding discs (50th Anniversary) have an awful version of Cold Sweat-super echoey, and just not right. Also, the very first CD, the CD of JB, has BY FAR the best master of I Got the Feeling. Every other disc I've heard is not as good.

Even the remixes get tricky. The new soundtrack disc, Get On Up, has remixed Olympia Paris tracks that lessen the crowd noise (good) but put James' voice way out in front of the band (not so good).

I think you could build a great compilation out of these primary sources: the double disc sets (Foundations, Dead On, etc.) and the singles collections. Star Time sounds flat to me. But based on sales, I don't know what else we're going to get. I'd prefer to get an official Zaire disc, or a late 70's live disc, than yet another remaster.

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I just posted this right above your post! Go with the 20 Greatest :)

24. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

holy crap, how did I miss that? Hahaha... maybe I'll get out this weekend to pick it up.

:cheers:

RelayerNJ likes this.
  25. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

My experience of the "Get On Up" soundtrack differed from yours, konut. I found it to be too compressed for me to enjoy. I did not finish listening to it.

I gave it to my girlfriend. She likes it fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.