Resurrection - New Series on ABC

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rockclassics, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

It's just a matter of how long it takes to get there. If fans want the quick fix, they'll hope for the show to continue to slip in the ratings so that the writers can give it a quick ending. Otherwise, they'll drag the questions out season after season and use lots of padding in episode after episode to put off giving fans the answers they are looking for. I have a feeling that we are going to get that quick answer.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The only way I can see the show continuing after they provide the immediate answers (of who, how, and why), there's always the chance that this phenomena -- dead people coming back -- is beginning to happen in other areas. So it's possible they could switch the story to other towns. At what point this becomes repetitious, I dunno. But it does seem to be the kind of concept that might have worked better as a 12-hour mini series or something. It's hard to say if they can sustain this for 2 or 3 seasons, but one hopes they can surprise us.

rockclassics likes this.
  3. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

If the ratings continue to drop like this, there won't be a season 3...:(

Season 2:
    E01: 8.38
    E02: 6.74
    E03: 5.55
    E04: 5.07

4. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

They're probably already working on the ending for the series. We may get the answers at the end of this season.

5. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member Thread Starter

I don't see that happening - but who knows? I could see getting the answers very slowly. For example, the who....followed by the returned starting to do things that slowly begins to reveal the why. That could take a season by itself. Then the how could be a whole other season. Using this as a guide, this show could go for at least another three seasons although I doubt it will. So far, I see no plans to reveal any answers to these three main questions.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Hey, I saw that show -- the one where all the people were stuck on this mysterious island after a plane crash! No answers! :realmad:

7. rockclassics

I never saw that show - seriously - not even one episode. Based on what I have read about it, I have pretty much written it off.

Michael likes this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

SMART!!! I am envious! 6 years of wasted time for me that I WANT BACK!!!!!!!
    Now who can I sue?

9. Michael

Damn! open the wound again!

Vidiot likes this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Naw, Lost was a good show. Just don't go into it expecting that all the mysteries will be revealed, or that anything really makes sense in the end. There's a lot of good ideas in the show, but ultimately I think the writers ran out of time and energy and couldn't explain everything.

What's sobering about Resurrection is that we basically only have those three questions -- why are the dead coming back to life, how are they coming back to life, and who is bringing them back to life -- which is a lot more straightforward. You could further break it down to other questions like why this particular town and what does the government know, but that's just incidental after the big questions. If they don't answer at least some of the big questions, I'll be major p!ssed-off.

11. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I liked lost for two seasons. It lost me shortly after that.

Deesky likes this.
  12. Michael

hopefully they will take a cue from LOST and not do things the WRONG WAY! The LOST ending pissed a lot of people off!

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Not buying that at all. It wouldn't have mattered how much time they had, as they had painted themselves into so many corners that no logical resolution was ever possible, except maybe someone waking up at the end and the whole show being a bad dream.

14. rockclassics

Interesting alternate ending. I could see something like that happening with Resurrection. Someone waking up from the dead and the person has the memory of a near death experience showing what would have happened had they not died.

If the writers decide to use this as the ending, they will be hearing from my attorney. I had the idea and published it here....first.

15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Since you quoted me, I can show a prior art claim to the idea and so you will be hearing from my attorney. :D

rockclassics likes this.
  16. Michael

at least it would have been an ending!

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think a logical resolution for Lost was possible, but it might have taken them more episodes than they had available in the sixth season. I also have it on good authority that the writers and producers were fairly exhausted by season 5, and that came from a fairly high source.

What baffled me was the entire "Sideways Story" that showed a completely different universe with different lives for every character in the show. What was the point? Aside from presenting a "what might have been" storyline, I don't see how it advanced the essential Lost storyline at all.

One hopes that Resurrection won't repeat this mistake and they have been smart enough to plot far enough in advance to answer the initial questions, then pose new mysteries to keep the suspense going for several seasons.

18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I think it's emblematic of the knots they'd tied themselves in and not knowing where to go next.

Vidiot likes this.
  19. amoergosum

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That was essentially the answer I got from my inside source. It was easier to just step away from the knots than to try to sit there for months and try to untie them all. Even some of the simple stuff, like the origins of the statues on the island or what Walt's role in the story was supposed to be, were never fully developed. The Lost Encyclopedia did delve into this stuff quite a bit, and the producers acknowledged that the kid actor growing a foot in 18 months of production (comprising 6 weeks on the island) didn't help.

What was baffling to me was watching the Sideways stories and saying, "wow, I can't wait until they explain to us how this all fits in with the story they've been telling for the last six years." :sigh:

In the case of Resurrection, I'm willing to give them some more time. We're only 14-15 episodes in to what could be a long haul, so one hopes we'll get some satisfying answers between now and then. There was a pivotal moment in Lost where I said, "well, this makes no sense unless one of these people is traveling through time..." and of course, that's when the show finally admitted this was happening, and it went fully sci-fi.

I'm not quite as frenetic as this guy in the video, but he raises a lot of good points.

On the other hand, just to praise Lost for a moment, it's a testament to the power of the show that we're still arguing about it 4-1/2 years after the finale aired. Most shows, you don't give a crap about, but this one... people did care about because it was so well done. I always say, I loved seasons 1-5; it was only season 6 where they crashed and burned. The fact that they had one bad year doesn't negate the 100+ episodes that were good. Still a worthwhile show, still one of the classic episodic TV series ever, just horribly disappointing in the end.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    Encuentro likes this.
  21. amoergosum

I love this moment...hilarious >>>

[​IMG]

22. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

However confusing Resurrection could potentially be, it hasn't been anywhere near as annoying as Under the Dome, which seems to have resorted to an annoying disaster-of-the-week theme.

Vidiot likes this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Under the Dumb is in a class of idiocy by itself.

kevywevy and Paul Saldana like this.
  24. Michael

I thought of a cartoon character! that was awesome! how many agree with his rant?

25. Michael

thankfully I have not seen that show...and thanks for the warning!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.