Can headphones mimic speakers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mike catucci, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

High frequencies drop a lot of energy in air. As you have in a speaker set up. This could equate to the nice, lets call it diffused sound for want of a better term, that you get compared to having them shoved down your ear canal directly. No doubt headphones continue to get better at this as time goes on. How good, who knows cause who has heard all the top line stuff? My only reference is the HD800's, I think, HD something or other. Dosent really matter to me, cause it dosent matter what fancy gizmo you run them through, it still sounds unatural and force fed to me.

2. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I think y'all are taking the "mimic speakers" part too literally. Mike is just asking if it is possible to get headphone sound that is outside of your head. And that absolutely is possible with better headphones and better headphone amps. I'm listening to my headphone gear right now do exactly that.

3. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Well of course its possible, actually very easy with phase manipulation. Im not sure if your using a fancy gizmo in your set up or just straight amp/phones combo though.

4. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The only fancy gizmo involved is a nice headphone amp. No crossfeed or digital manipulations going on.
    Gear is a Cavalli Liquid Fire amp, Audeze LCD-2 headphones, and a $99 DAC (I have a new DAC on order).

A good amp is absolutely critical if you're trying to get the sound out of your head. Most headphone amps are too front row, the sound is too forced, the sound too beamy. To get the sound to escape the confines of the headphone and to ultimately escape your head you need an amp that is smooth, resolving, effortless, and unforced. The amp is a critical part in achieving this illusion. The Cavalli amp I have delivers what I'd call a smooth diffused sound. The opposite of beamy or forced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.