Neil Young Official Release Series 5-8

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fourfeathers, Mar 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

For the people that were getting angry about this leaked European release being so expensive, do you think Neil made any money off them?

The official release is now listed at Bullmoose.com and it's $152 (RSD/in store only for now), if I recall that is roughly what the Volume 1 box set sold for. In my opinion it's extremely rare for classic rock vinyl reissues to sound as good as the best original pressings, and the first four reissues pretty much did. So I have no complaints about 1) more than likely getting a reissue that will match (or a different flavor) the best originals 2) true analog sourced.

Gabe Walters likes this.
  2. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

There have been posts on this forum accusing Neil of somehow setting the price of the leaked copies, lol.

3. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

If you really want the albums + the box then trust me DO NOT HESITATE!!!

I was in the same boat hemming and hawing on the 1st box set and then when I realized I did indeed HAVE TO HAVE IT I wound up overpaying from a 3rd party Ebay seller. I won't be making the same mistake on Volume 2.

4. Peter Harrar

Peter Harrar Senior Member

Time Fades Away is remastered, not remixed.

5. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

Truly? I was under the impression that since it was direct-mixed originally, that the only way to remaster it was to remix it from the multis?

Also, this thread is getting long, has there been a detailed comparison of the originals vs the new CB-mastered LPs done here?

6. Peter Harrar

I had that impression, too, at first. The TFA label says that it was "mastered for vinyl from the original tapes," while the others say "remastered for vinyl from the original master tapes," so it appears to be a new mastering, not a complete remix.

I don't recall a detailed sound comparison, though those of us who have heard it have provided some summary reactions -- I think all quite favorable on the sound. Certainly the best I've ever heard Tonight's The Night, with Side 2 of On The Beach not far behind. Others have really liked Zuma. Everyone likes having pristine copies of Time Fades Away.

7. Peter Harrar

Also, see comment #377 for a description of how Time Fades Away was mastered.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  8. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Yes it will, but even if the mistakes are corrected, it still won't solve the case completely.

My guess is that the ones that slipped out were official but had defects or didn't pass quality inspection from warner. Vol 1 was limited to 3,000 and still available over a year after release. Considering Vol 2 was only available from Eastern Europe and at ridiculous price, I can't imagine more than a few hundred at most were sold.

Would a bootlegger in this day in age really go to the trouble of having these pressed on 180g (expensive, especially in low quantities), having "CB" on the deadwax, printing inner covers for On The Beach, and replicating all of the inserts in detail to sell that few? Especially when it was common knowledge to most NY fans it was going to be released for Black Friday. Can't imagine the profit margins would be that good. Was there even enough time to get it all produced between RSD in late April and the time it was available in the summer?

NimCain and Gabe Walters like this.
  9. Peter Harrar

Agreed; a pirater or counterfeiter would not go to that much trouble or get such a quality mastering and pressing in so short a time. Occam's Razor suggests Warner provenance.

Carserguev and Gabe Walters like this.
  10. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Just like the first set, the price is hefty. I'll cave in and buy them though, because those first 4 are some of the best sounding LPs in my entire collection.

soundfanz likes this.
  11. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

I agree. I never bought the last box but picked them up individually. Maybe I will sell the box itself and just store the LP's alongside the others?

12. Bill

Bill Senior Member

The ridiculously high European prices for 5-8 were undoubtedly driven up by folks along the distribution chain, rather than by the artist. However, he had to have approved the extremely limited release of these albums, which sets up such gouging. Anybody remember the vinyl and gold CD, limited box and numbered releases of the first four records? At least then he also released them individually, giving buyers who just wanted to hear them without ankle grabbing an option.

13. EricSwan

EricSwan Forum Resident

Earlier this year it was rumored that t-shirts for Neil's RSD albums would also be available - any confirmation? What about remastered CDs?

14. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

Admittedly not read all 26 pages, but ... what happened to Journey Through the Past??

15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I believe Neil hates it and therefore I don't see it ever getting a reissue. There has never been an official CD release so it was only available on the original vinyl thought there are later German represses.

Timjosephuk likes this.
  16. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

Thanks Classicrock. Guess it's even lower in Neil's foodchain than Time Fades Away!

17. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

I will buy them too, but might pick them up individually if they are released as such. The first box is indeed a great release.

I have quite a few pre orders on the go at the minute, not sure I will be able to afford the box at this time.

18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The Volume 1 box was around $120-$130 here. Was that a record store day release? I seem to recall it being available online.

19. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

T-shirts are announced on the RSD website (they showed up there before the box-set itself did, amusingly). CDs are not, I believe.

20. I HIGHLY doubt Neil Young approved the release of a limited number of the box sets to some Eastern European countries only. I think they clearly just slipped out of the warehouse in some nefarious manner.

DmitriKaramazov and Gabe Walters like this.
  21. highway

highway Forum Resident

The best thing on JTTP (in my opinion) was outtake of Words which made it onto ArchivesI.
    With acoustic tunes (the Bridge etc) also on Archive1 and recent stellar Don't be Denied version on CSNY 74 there is less of a reason to buy Time Fades Away.
    Sacrilege?
    Luckily I bought it back in the day.

22. purple-lazy

purple-lazy Forum Resident

I got the first one online. I think it was from the Neil Young Warner store.

Hopefully I'll be able to get the second set online somewhere too, as it's not looking good for a Black Friday RSD release here in Australia.

23. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

what i REALLY want to know is when we might see a sweet audiophile release of Trans.

stef1205 likes this.
  24. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

What's wrong with Trans sound?

25. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

What's right with it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.