Beatles mono VINYL box set (Part #15)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Sep 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm on my 3rd box now and once again most of the Lp's are either severely warped or dished or both. Not happy. I've also recently bought Nick Drake vinyl reissues from 2013 and they too were pressed at Optimal and guess what? Yes, they're dished and warped too. Can Optimal press flat vinyl? I'm having my doubts. Mind you I've just bought Creedence Clearwater Revival set pressed by Analogue Productions and 6 out of 8 vinyl records are also dished. I think I'm going back to CD. Modern vinyl is crap.

Like yourself I bought from Amazon and the 30 day time limit has expired so I've taken toi buying the stand alone LP's in the vain hope that I might eventually find some flat ones and swap out the ones in the boxes. Is this naive of me?

Oyster Black Pearl likes this.
  2. culabula

culabula Unread author.

This is unfortunate but hardly the norm. My box and those of my friends are perfect. The majority of posts here are from happy, satisfied, punters.

Dmann201, hodgo, groovelocked and 3 others like this.
  3. That's good to hear. Where did you get yours from? Maybe Amazon only got the warped sets?

Gavinyl likes this.
  4. culabula

culabula Unread author.

:). Amazon.

Gavinyl and Huck Caton like this.
  5. paulisme

paulisme I’m being sarcastic

I'd hate to be anyone else creating records after this box set. They set the bar ridiculously high for how good vinyl can sound, how sibilance and IGD can be eliminated and how the vinyl can be dead silent.

6. .......and warped!

Oyster Black Pearl likes this.
  7. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

A bit off topic, but not too much I hope. I've bought several of the albums individually, and for the most part, I'm really happy that everything seems to be great as far as the pressings. Here's the issue. I've had an old B&O TX2 turntable that I purchased new in 1988. I've never done a thing to it, so I know that the stylus is probably worn even though I don't play vinyl every day. A new cartridge would cost $299, and that's assuming all of the electronics continue to hold up. So, I purchased an Audio Technica lp120 with the AT95e cartridge. I've set it up according to specs. But.......it seems that there's a bit of distortion on these recordings that I'm not hearing on other vinyl. It was also present with the TX2. It's not extreme, but it is noticeable. Some tracks are worse than others, some are extremely clean sounding. Also seems to be a bit bright on the high end on several tracks, and lacking a bit in the bass department. And then, some tracks have booming bass. Is a bit of distortion to be expected with these? If so, no problem. But I can't help thinking there is something that I'm not doing. On the Sony receiver, I have the Bass set at +4, mid-range at +2, and Treble at -3. Suggestions are welcome, and thanks!

8. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Play your records on another turntable and see if you hear the same problems. That means seek out a friend or acquaintance or relative or co-worker who has one, or find an audio store or used record store that has one. If they sound the same then it's the records. If you don't hear the problems then it's your system. :)

Tremaindous likes this.
  9. I was all set to pick up the Mono Boxset from Costco tomorrow, but after speaking with them yesterday I was told it won't be available at their stores until the 27th. They already have the product in-house, but for some reason they delayed their sell date. Oh well, I can wait as the price is right at $329.99 CAD. Also, I like buying from them as I never have a problem returning stuff (including all media) if I get a defective product.

NOTE: I'm referring to Costco CANADA. I do not know if Costco stores in the U.S., U.K. and Australia are getting them. Additionally, the MONO is not available at their online site.

10. Efus

Efus Senior Member

I've rec'd 2 records from Barnes and Noble (Revolver/RS), and 2 from Best Buy (Pepper/MMT).

Except for the Rubber Soul cover having a crease in the corner, all my records have been flat, and the spindle hole not a problem in the least.
    The one issue I would note (besides the RS cover) is that the 2 albums from B&N did seem to be quite dirty.

11. Dusty Ol'Rekkids

Dusty Ol'Rekkids Forum Resident

My experience with the box has been decent. I bought mine from popmarket on the release day. I got it and had some edge warping on a couple titles (Help! and Peppers most notably) and Peppers also had some non-fill. Magical Mystery Tour was super noisy with some type of spotting on both sides. If I didn't know any better I'd swear it was a Rainblow pressing. I emailed popmarket and decided Help! was something I could live with, but I had to have replacements for MMT and Peppers. It took about two weeks, and instead of sending me replacements for the two titles they just refunded the whole order. I figured that because they were also selling individuals that they'd just ship the two, but I am not complaining. I just have to take the $ I got back and buy the two I need replaced. I wouldn't say I have a perfect set (really just some small edge warping and a couple slighly off center) but for the price I paid I'd be an idiot to complain.

12. Al_D

Al_D Forum Resident

With the correct inner sleeve designs!

I was wondering if anybody would do a run of Emitex inners with rice-paper lining and the proper wavy cut to the opening edge, just to make some money off of people who want their box a bit more authentic.

Gavinyl, vinylbeat and crispi like this.
  13. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

By the way, it's nothing that isn't in the mono box, but there is a new bit of Beatles vinyl coming out next month in EP form!

Kim Olesen and crispi like this.
  14. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Cool!

15. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

I've always kind of wanted that. Weirdly, I've always kind of wanted the EP box even though it's nothing really unique. It's a sickness, it is.

bluemooze and Keith V like this.
  16. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Was this one cut from mastertapes unlike the mono master sub master version?

17. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

Oh, it's "Long Tall Sally". I have that vinyl EP and the sleeve from 1964!

18. mihu

mihu Forum Resident

I wonder if it's analog cut? If it is, I'm hoping for Magical Mystery Tour (EP) in the future!

Keith V likes this.
  19. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

They don't say. I've pointed this out to Beatles Examiner writer Steve Marinucci who tells me he's writing about it today.

Keith V likes this.
  20. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

I doubt this will happen anytime soon. They just did a mono vinyl Magical Mystery Tour EP in 2012, to go in the blu ray box.

21. jamiesjamies

jamiesjamies Forum Resident

I noticed the other day that the set was £350 on Amazon new, now it's down to £230! Would they be the returned sets or if it says new will it be guaranteed new/unopened?

22. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

23. audiohound

audiohound Forum Resident

I already own an EU-pressed stereo vinyl box set and love listening to it. However, I'm aware that there may be a few sonic lemons in the stereo box set. That said, I'm still more of a stereo aficionado versus being a fan of mono. If I were to buy just a **few** mono Beatles LPs, which would you recommend?

It could be just because the mono version is so outstanding on its own merit, or that it's so much better than the sonically inferior stereo LP. Seems like I recall reading a lot of critical comments about the stereo White Album and Rubber Soul, so I'm wondering if the mono versions are better?

Advance thanks,
    Audiohound

24. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The Stereo White Album is something that Beatles were involved in the final mix. I just got the Mono LP of "The Beatles", sounds fine but there's things in the Stereo version that are worthwhile so it's really a toss-up. Side one of the Mono "Help" sounds muddy compared to most other Beatle LPs but that's apperantly the fault of the original. That said, the fog lifts after a few songs. The Stereo mixes of Help and Rubber Soul are dire, the Mono Rubber Soul is really good. I like Revolver in Mono better than stereo. Sgt Pepper really needs to be heard in Mono, there's so many things that are flat out wrong in the stereo version. Magical Mystery tour is very good in Mono, but the Stereo German pressing in Stereo is just as good, mixes are different, another toss-up if you can get a copy of the Hörzu pressing. That's all I've heard so far, am looking forward to the Mono Masters 3 LP set of singles and oddities, that is supposed to be particularly fine and Beatles singles were meant to be heard in mono anyway.

25. audiohound

audiohound Forum Resident

Thanks, Robin, this is really great information! My hunch is that I'll start with the Mono Rubber Soul and Revolver, and then perhaps Sgt Pepper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.