McCartney Album "NEW" (2013), part22

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Oct 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

You've been doing the demon's dance.

2. Claudio Dirani

He, he...I know, thanks. I was on ironic mode. :)

3. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Otherwise known as trolling?;)

4. Claudio Dirani

Guilty as Charged. Sue me, sue me your blues.

Frank likes this.
  5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

These kind of discussions have never been about making sense. Thats why I don t wanna spend time with them.
    I -as you mentioned before-like the the two new NEW songs both musically and when it comes to the lyrics that especially Hell to pay has-for being Paul-very sharp words. Musically I don t think any of these two songs are less good than some of the existing songs on the proper album. But there is not one of the existing songs I would like to see left out so this is OK for me-they at least will be available
    Remember songs like hI,hHi,Hi-Cmoon, Juniors Farm, Another day, Mull of Kintyre, and plenty of others were never on albums either-but we still enjoy them

6. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

These kind of discussions have never been about making sense. Thats why I don t wanna spend time with them.
    I -as you mentioned before-like the the two new NEW songs both musically and when it comes to the lyrics that especially Hell to pay has-for being Paul-very sharp words. Musically I don t think any of these two songs are less good than some of the existing songs on the proper album. But there is not one of the existing songs I would like to see left out so this is OK for me-they at least will be available
    Remember songs like hI,hHi,Hi-Cmoon, Juniors Farm, Another day, Mull of Kintyre, and plenty of others were never on albums either-but we still enjoy them

7. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It s always recommended to actually listen to something before forming an opinion. I think Yorick is very good at describing and writing about music -it s just that I don t fully agree with his conclusions about these two new tracks-that is because taste differs. But he makes very good arguments for his thoughts. After listening many times now to these two tracks I can also see why he makes his conclusion. It s just that I don t share them. Of course-none of these two songs are masterpieces or instant classics or something-but they are not filler material either -they are good solid songs that I am happy Paul made available

Yorick likes this.
  8. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

"And a good suggestion it was-imo.
    Peace in the neighborhhood -so to speak.

9. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I think if you augmented Paul's first Album, McCartney, with "On My Way to Work" and "Early Days" from New, it would be considered a more powerful and finished album, and the two added tracks would be among most people's favorites on the album.

McCartney
    All songs written by Paul McCartney.

Original release augmented with "New" tracks
    Side one
    1. "The Lovely Linda" – 0:43
    2. "On My Way to Work" - New
    3. "That Would Be Something" – 2:38
    4. "Valentine Day" – 1:39
    5. "Every Night" – 2:31
    6. "Hot as Sun/Glasses" – 2:05
    7. "Junk" – 1:54
    8. "Man We Was Lonely" – 2:56
    Side two
    1. "Early Days" - New
    2. "Oo You" – 2:48
    3. "Momma Miss America" – 4:04
    4. "Teddy Boy" – 2:22
    5. "Singalong Junk" – 2:34
    6. "Maybe I'm Amazed" – 3:50
    7. "Kreen-Akrore" – 4:15

10. Dr. Pepper

I think if you augmented Paul's second Album, Ram, with "Alligator" and "New" from Paul's New album, it would be considered a more powerful album, and the two added tracks would be among most people's favorites on the album.

Ram

Original release augmented with "New" tracks

Side one
    No.
    Title Writer(s) Length
    1. "Too Many People" Paul McCartney 4:10
    2. "3 Legs" Paul McCartney 2:44
    3. "Ram On" Paul McCartney 2:26
    4. "Dear Boy" 2:12
    5. "Alligator" - New
    6. "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" 4:49
    7. "Smile Away" Paul McCartney 3:51

Side two
    No.
    Title Writer(s) Length
    7. "Heart of the Country" 2:21
    8. "Monkberry Moon Delight" 5:21
    9. "Eat at Home" 3:18
    10. "New" - New
    11. "Long Haired Lady" 5:54
    12. "Ram On" Paul McCartney 0:52
    13. "The Back Seat of My Car"

theMess likes this.
  11. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Imo McCartney and Ram are two-in their different ways- landmark albums.
    McCartney -because Paul in a time of Grand, pretentions made such a honegrown album celebrating the small things in life. Ram because it s eclectic pop-perfection paved the ways for many great pop-albums decades after it s release. Personally I would not change a note on these two albums

jsayers, hamholio and Dr. Pepper like this.
  12. Dr. Pepper

Of course not, I'm just saying these tracks actually fit surprisingly well and that they would make already great albums even better, in an alternate universe.

theMess and Bemagnus like this.
  13. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

There are a few Macca album I consider great. Those are
    McCartney
    Ram
    Band on the Run
    Venus and Mars
    McCartney2
    Tug of war
    Flaming Pie
    Chaos
    New

Some I consider very good. Those are
    Wild Life
    London Town
    Run Devil Run
    Red rose speedway
    Some I consider good . Those are
    Memory almost full
    The Russian album
    Wings at the speed of sound
    Flowers in the dirt
    Electric arguments
    Some average like
    Back to the egg
    Pipes piece
    Drivning Rain
    And some below average like
    Send my regards
    Press to play
    Of the ground

So one could tell I sort of like Macca-but not everything. Guess the same goes for other posters here. We enjoy different thing and aspects of this legacy. That doesn t mean we should fight about it since we share a mutual admiraration for Pauls music

14. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

I seriously wished Paul had included his recordings of "Come and Get It" and "Goodbye" on McCartney. I think that would have made for a stronger, more cohesive album.

theMess, rswitzer and mrjinks like this.
  15. hamholio

hamholio Forum Resident

On My Way to Work is the last thing I want to hear after The Lovely Linda. And Early Days? Teddy Boy's already on the album! :-plnktn-:

Frank and backseat like this.
  16. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

"Early Days" is a masterful track, full of meaning. "Teddy Boy" was always an incomplete throwaway, left over from The Beatles' Get Back sessions.

"On My Way To Work" is one of my lesser favorites off NEW... just goes on and on too long, IMO.

17. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

Agree. Don't think that Paul's lastest work could fit in any way into his early solo things. The perspective has changed and, IMHO, the quality too,
    McCartney's first two albums, McCartney and RAM, sound absolutely fantastic as they are, to me.

Bemagnus and hamholio like this.
  18. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

These words in "Early Days" are more profound and introspective than anything off McCARTNEY (save for "Maybe I'm Amazed"), RAM, or any number of Paul's most acclaimed earlier albums:

May sweet memories of friends from the past
    Always comes to you, when you look for them
    And your inspiration long may it last
    May it come to you time and time again

19. hamholio

hamholio Forum Resident

Too bad Junk is more emotional in its melody-- This is a weird comparison, though!

theMess, Frank and mrjinks like this.
  20. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I think both are emotional in different ways. "Early Days" really has a touching and heartfelt chorus. Sung in a weathered voice that intentionally conveys the old-world weariness of its singer.

21. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I believe that "Early Days" is one of the finest things that Macca has ever done.

22. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

So do I. Unfortunately, the thinking is that if it's a new McCartney song it can't possibly be as good as his earlier stuff. Teenagers thought the same thing in the American Bandstand audience in 1967, when Dick Clark first showed them the "new" promo films for "Strawberry Fields Forever" and "Penny Lane"... most of them did not approve, and thought The Beatles had seen better days!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  23. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Completely agree- one of the new tunes that certanely has the old magic. Amazing song a great recording

kevintee and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  24. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

Could be. I was talking exclusively about the music.

Frank likes this.
  25. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Edited to add: .. I'm only just realizing that you are the author of this new McCartney book... Are you a fan of all McCartney's solo recordings beyond just the earliest releases?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.